• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
Chinchillas are pretty cool because they don't grow claws (almost like little fingernails that don't scratch) and they don't bite much. They hardly smell at all if you change their cage and they're very affectionate if handled often. Plus, you never give them normal baths. Dust baths are fun to watch them roll around in and it keeps them smelling fresh.

I've never had a hedgehog but they sound awesome.

vibr8tor said:
raccoons don't make good pets. they have sharp claws, get into everything, and are agressive when they get older.

rabbits can be litterbox trained. and I've heard awesome things about owning a sugar glider :)
looked into the sugar glider thing, but they're nocturnal, that was a big flaw to me

Pharcyde said:
Snakes.........poisonous ones
and fuck goldfish......if your going the fish route get saltwater fish
saltwater tanks are amazing, with limitless capabilities. I've owned several very, very nice setups. They are involved, but if you do like these I'd be glad to give you my email and we coudl go over details. I've done 1/2 gallon reef tanks (very advanced, do not try this as a first tank, it's likelihood to survive past a week is low), small tanks with clownfish/anemones, and larger predator tanks (big moray eels, triggers, puffers, etc).

Also consider hybrid felines if you like cats. I have a hybrid (bengal variety - it's a cross between an asian leopard cat and a domestic cat) male, who actually used to be a breeder cat (attached as well). My next animals will be something along the lines of a larger cat (something in the lynx/serval size range), and sometime soon when the cash is there I'm getting my dream fish tank, which will be a full grown green moray eel, which get ~ 5-6ft and chubby if you feed them right. Those'll need min 1000gallon tanks though, so they're insanely expensive.

Attachments

• 269_clowntrigger.jpg
    269_clowntrigger.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 84
  • resized small reef tank.jpg
    resized small reef tank.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 88
  • purple mouth moray.jpg
    purple mouth moray.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 109
  • b kjkj (5).jpg
    b kjkj (5).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 86
L2R said:
ya I'd actually love to get some fo those fainting goats, though I doubt I'd be able to appropriately care for them with any foreseeable living situations.

Unsure your budget, and I won't name names, but there's someone on these boards who has a REAL big cat. We talked through pm a bit about it, it's definitley a large commitment and a constant risk, but that's always gonna be quite up there with teh kings of exotics.

lol I just realized all those pics would surely signal my real identity if anyone I knew saw them... oh well, not really 'part of the scene' anymore so guess it don't matter.

2c-buoyant said:
fennec fox. that's my next:

Ad-Photo-1267-1.jpg
SOOOO jealous. I want one, but I work too many hours to keep one. They need a lot more attention than I can give. :(

yea their super hyper, and their so cute they'll actually make "nests" in pillows, circle around for hours before getting comfortable....

Next 500 bucks I get is going straight to one of the cute little buggers.

Venemous Snakes are where its at too, or any exotic Herps/saltwater fish, my personal favorite is the eyelash viper (so aggressive though!)

Eyelash:
2953_discovery_f.jpg

Oh, and Servals are fucking shitbonesrad as well:

1Donaandserval.jpg

i just got my 4 year old a rat, and i hate it. they aren't as interesting as i heard. and it has bit my 11 year old twice. somehow, my 4 year old can treat it like a stuffed toy and hasn't been bit. yet.

chrissie said:
a skunk that has been de-skunked maybe? i really don't know about having them as pets though.

My mom had a skunk growing up. She loved it a lot, and it didn't smell :)

2c-buoyant said:
yea their super hyper, and their so cute they'll actually make "nests" in pillows, circle around for hours before getting comfortable....

Next 500 bucks I get is going straight to one of the cute little buggers.

Venemous Snakes are where its at too, or any exotic Herps/saltwater fish, my personal favorite is the eyelash viper (so aggressive though!)

Eyelash:
2953_discovery_f.jpg

Oh, and Servals are fucking shitbonesrad as well:

1Donaandserval.jpg
Servals may have been mentioned earlier by me, but they're in my 'big cats' hopes. With servals, remember they are HIGH jumpers. IE, don't keep them in anything but enclosed cages / inside. Also I've read that if they get out, good luck trying to get them back. Their outdoor pens likely need to have the ceilings enclosed (wiki them for more info, these things can jump insanely high!)

Oh, also, you may have seen my pics posted somewhere up on this page of my animals (current and from past couple years, the fish/cat). That cat is a 'bengal', which is a hybrid cross of an asian leopard cat to a domestic cat.

If you're into servals, but don't want teh wild beast thing, look into 'savannahs'. They're similar to my bengal, but instead of an asian leopard cat bred to a domestic, they breed a serval to a domestic (don't ask me how lol). These are bigger hybrids than mine. Keep in mind that, although less true to their species, these hybrids are way more 'domesticated'. For instance, my cat's behavior is more comparable to a small dog than a cat. He responds readily, plays fetch, comes when you call, talks, very different than any regular cat. Keep an eye on your laws though, because typically you'll need a 3rd or 4th generation for it not to be considered a wild animal (check state laws, or do the easy way and just talk circumvent them lol). Also, the closer to the main serval you get (like 1st generations) will still be way more wild, and less domestic. That means they'll scare easier, just in general they won't be as good for pets. My cat is amazing, I can't believe how impressed I (and anyone who sees him) is. Hell, he's still posted on teh front page of the breedery we got him from (I'd link it but that'd disclose way too much information on my locale lol).

So yeah, servals/lynx/bobcats are great, but remember they'll be wild. That means they won't be as cuddly (in most cases), and will be real skiddish, etc. The blends/hybrids retain a lot of the cool wild features, but also make the cat bond much more with its owners.

Also, the domesticated hybrids are faaaaar less work, expense, knowledge than the true medium/big cats. Don't think that a serval's needs are even remotely comparable to a savannah. (I should add that anything that's even in the medium category, such as servals/lynx/etc, will not be suitable for any small children. Common sense, but I'd hate for someone to miss that all important point before it's too late and the animal thinks it has some small prey running around the house in diapers. Yes, these things have happened before)

(oh and if you are looking at any exotic felines, pm me or ask me in this thread, cuz I got lots of info on most of the common ones, from selection to sourcing to caring) (note - I am not sourcing htem myself, nor will I name specific breeders, but a smart person will always find a way to get teh animal they want, even if it's a giraffe)

damn, I'd love the venomous snake/dangerous lizard approach, but my fiance won't be tolerant lol. Although I do have some first round acceptance of a baby gator! I'd post pics but, well, ya'll knwo why that wouldn't be a good idea haha

Didn't even watch the vids cuz I've seen them a million times. The bottom line is, unless you're fencing 20ft high, you need to have ceiling enclosures on all pens that a serval is outside in. Typically, they will not return to you if they escape, it will be a major issue. If the town becomes aware of it, you'll likely lose your serval (assuming you didn't have permits for it, but who the hell does?) even once it's found.

But yeah, those fuggers jump obscenely high!

bingalpaws said:
damn, I'd love the venomous snake/dangerous lizard approach, but my fiance won't be tolerant lol. Although I do have some first round acceptance of a baby gator! I'd post pics but, well, ya'll knwo why that wouldn't be a good idea haha

IMHO buying a gator is idiotic. even as babies their bite is excruciating. growing up in florida, the hick parties tend to invite certain activities, such as catching small gators. not something i would recommend..

when you rightfully get terrified of it when it grows, you will release a deadly animal into the wild that won't have a fear of humans. that is a dangerous combination.

i find it brutally irresponsible to have a gator as a pet

SillyAlien said:
Same can (and should) be said about 90% of the animals mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, and not to mention this bit:

It's cruel to them

Anybody who would dislike being locked in a cage by some massive creature yet owns a pet like most of these is massive hypocrite.

Last edited:
DarthMom said:
IMHO buying a gator is idiotic. even as babies their bite is excruciating. growing up in florida, the hick parties tend to invite certain activities, such as catching small gators. not something i would recommend..

when you rightfully get terrified of it when it grows, you will release a deadly animal into the wild that won't have a fear of humans. that is a dangerous combination.

i find it brutally irresponsible to have a gator as a pet
Why not just bring it down to the everglades and release it there? or give it to an alligator farm, won't they make use of it?

yes, i do believe that would be better than simply letting it loose in the rivers of whatever city you live in, but an animal that dangerous isn't one to keep as a pet, it would simply be cruel. where do you plan on letting it live? do you have a river with a huge cage around it? or are you thinking of letting it live in your tub? srsly, it isn't a pet to consider. i can't think of any reason that makes it a rational and humane pet.

^I'm with you. I just don't see the point of having a pet that doesn't appreciate the relationship at all, and needs to be let go eventually because it becomes a death threat.

If you want an exotic pet try a parrot. I have an awesome yellow naped amazon, best pet ever.