• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Medication abuse, need some advices :)

oxyladron

Bluelighter
Okay, I'm kinda scared right now.

I actually abuse of every kind of medication I put my hands on and I'm tired of it. I've already suffered a seizure from Xanax withdrawal and I wasn't even using to achieve a high, I was abusing because I have a fucked up insomnia plus some sort of fear of sleeping. So eventually I was taking ten 2mg pills every night until the day I didn't used it in two days and had the seizure.

Now I'm abusing methylphenidate. Started with a recreational value but ended being a way to get my depression and basically any bad feeling out. I've been in this state for almost four months and I really, really wanna get better. My psychiatrist prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft for my depression and 10mg Valium for my insomnia. Hours ago I just gave the rest of my Ritalin stash to a friend that actually needed it more than me and I'm afraid of the future.

Since I was using it to suppress my depression and now I started with Zoloft, what can I expect? What can I do to help the everyday life without snorting lines that makes me feel happy? I'm tired of it and I want to get better. I smoke a lot and I'm not thinking about quitting my cigarettes for now cause I think it would be too hard and I'm thinking about using weed sometimes (I don't have easy access to it) but some people believe that the sobriety only can be achieved with stopping everything... I can't since I'm on Valium, if I stop it I won't sleep, right? Zoloft antidepressants effects will begin soon? Sorry for my bad english, I'm brazilian and I'm very scared right now.

Thank you all, really.

Hey oxyladron you ask some important questions! Their are studies that show quitting cigarettes at the same time as all other recreational drugs improves success rates for both. That said it's not an extremely well studied subject and I would say just do what feels right too you. As far as the Valium you should not abruptly stop taking it under any circumstances. Getting off of it should only be done under a doctor's supervision due to the risk of seizures. Personally I found quitting one drug at a time to be the most manageable course of action but your right that some people think your only sober if your off everything. I think that's a narrow way of thinking because the goal is to live a healthy happy life not to reach for some mythical goal of sobriety.

The Zoloft will take 2-4 weeks to begin working. So plan accordingly. In the meantime getting some light to moderate excersize will help improve your depression.

Your on the right track! Just got to hang in their