Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

MDMA Chemistry/Pharmacology Thread

MiniNapalm

Bluelighter
What's addiction got to do with MDMA?

Quite a lot actually, albeit granted not from a micro perspective.

Apologies for not providing context to my post, but here it is:

The recent discussion around quality of MDMA, we suspect relates to a change of precursor. The reason behind the change of precursor is a tightening up of control on existing precursors i.e. safrole and PMK, which has led to chemists using PMK-glycidate: resulting in what we believe is substandard MDMA.

All of this is due to various international/UN-led treaties being interpreted by various countries as focusing on criminalising related activity – attempting to stem both supply and demand (with less of a focus in the UK recently on the latter). Clearly those attempts have failed as the demand for drugs (including MDMA) has not declined. The video I posted demonstrates why we should be focussing on individuals, rather than substances – harm reduction, rather than scaremongering and marginalising.

Governments’ attitudes are slowly evolving (e.g. Portugal, Netherlands, Czech Republic, lots of South American countries), however some countries – including the UK – lack the political will to do so. There is a UN forum this year on reviewing drug policy (http://www.unodc.org/ungass2016/) that could well lead to a change in approach that will help enable the same on a country level.

Those changes may ultimately result in legalisation, which is likely to improve the quality of a lot of drugs and certainly MDMA.

I really do enjoy the micro-focussed debate (substances, precursors etc.), as that is the “real” and most tangible aspect of MDMA. But I do think it’s important to keep an eye on the bigger picture, as this where fundamental change can happen. I appreciate that it’s very slow, but I’m ever hopeful!

I'm planning to pick up some crystal MDMA next month, the seller is well-known and claims it was made from safrole, so I am interested in testing the optical isomerism of it. I believe this could be accomplished relatively easily at home with a simple set up, although I would of course appreciate input/"you're dumb, that wouldn't work because..." from someone with better chem knowledge than me.

The basis of my plan is I have a pair of polarising sunglasses to hand, and in theory a balanced mix of isomers as Sprout reckons safrole-derived MDMA should contain would produce no rotation of polarised light. Obviously I'd test the setup with, say, D-phenylalanine or some other easily available chiral compound to make sure a null signal is actually due to the isomers present and not just a non-functional setup, but if the theory holds it would give some actual data to work with, and the setup could be easily duplicated by anyone else, so if say Sid still has some of the crystal he was munching on a few weeks back that he reckoned was PMK-gly derived, we could actually test if there is a different ratio of isomers present, at least qualitively.

It would just go over my head. I did a little chemistry at uni but it was only a little and far from my favourite subject. If it works you should market a line of safrole detecting mdma glasses..

If the data holds up, then I'd definitely write up the process so anyone interested could follow it and test their substance, though you'd need to be sure you have MDMA first. The other nice thing about it is, assuming you can get meaningful info from about 100 mg in a glass of water (which would be tested with whatever chiral compound I use as a refeerence), you would still be able to just chug the glass afterwards and not lose any of your MDMA on testing. If it takes more to be noticable you might need to make a stronger solution and only dose some of it, which would get a little more fiddly, but still, the potential to get answers on this is valuable.

Where's Sprout when you need someone to discuss chemistry on, anyway?

Safrole stuff in the EU where the only precursor used is glycidate. The only real safrole MDMA (which is available to us) is the Canadian stuff IMO and it's impure because their chemists are shit.

If you do still buy that MDMA do us a favour and buy a test kit too. And post the reaction. I never had one when I had that stuff but I'm 95% sure he's just saying that because it will reel in sales. I wonder how many people in this thread alone have bought it solely on the promise of it being safrole?

Never trust a drug dealer. Online or IRL.

Last edited:
If the data holds up, then I'd definitely write up the process so anyone interested could follow it and test their substance, though you'd need to be sure you have MDMA first. The other nice thing about it is, assuming you can get meaningful info from about 100 mg in a glass of water (which would be tested with whatever chiral compound I use as a refeerence), you would still be able to just chug the glass afterwards and not lose any of your MDMA on testing. If it takes more to be noticable you might need to make a stronger solution and only dose some of it, which would get a little more fiddly, but still, the potential to get answers on this is valuable.

Where's Sprout when you need someone to discuss chemistry on, anyway?

He was for a rare occasion actually asleep at 6:56am...
The science aside, discussing "chemistry with" someone and "chemistry on" them are two vastly different things - lysing my tissue with HF would be an example of the latter. ;)

Using plane of light diffraction holds up if identifying compounds of a majority homogenous conformation. Sadly in an unknown ratio sample it is of little use: the R- conformation will direct the data in one direction whereas the S- will go the opposite way, without reliably pure compounds as a starting material (illicit drugs obviously are pretty far from such) and a solid reference database the data would be of little value.

I can't and don't promise anything but if I get the chance I may run some samples through the molecular spectrophotometer I have access to when running genetics procedures.

He was for a rare occasion actually asleep at 6:56am...
The science aside, discussing "chemistry with" someone and "chemistry on" them are two vastly different things - lysing my tissue with HF would be an example of the latter. ;)

Using plane of light diffraction holds up if identifying compounds of a majority homogenous conformation. Sadly in an unknown ratio sample it is of little use: the R- conformation will direct the data in one direction whereas the S- will go the opposite way, without reliably pure compounds as a starting material (illicit drugs obviously are pretty far from such) and a solid reference database the data would be of little value.

I can't and don't promise anything but if I get the chance I may run some samples through the molecular spectrophotometer I have access to when running genetics procedures.

I wasn't expecting that it would provide quantitative data on the subject, just a qualitative evaluation of whether there is a different ratio of isomers (given a racemic salt should produce no rotation compared to the solvent, whereas the theorised 75:25 isomer ratio MDMA would have a noticably different effect on polarised light) in PMK-G vs safrole MDMA. It would at least potentially disprove the theory on isomers if both produced identical effects optically.

The safrole-derived I am looking at getting is definitely somewhat impure, so I guess it is likely to be Canadian-origin. I'll see if anyone's gotten it tested purity wise, or if there's any claimed provinance on it.

Edit: no origin listed, but it has been tested at 82% MDMA-HCl. No isomer ratio listed.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting that it would provide quantitative data on the subject, just a qualitative evaluation of whether there is a different ratio of isomers (given a racemic salt should produce no rotation compared to the solvent, whereas the theorised 75:25 isomer ratio MDMA would have a noticably different effect on polarised light) in PMK-G vs safrole MDMA. It would at least potentially disprove the theory on isomers if both produced identical effects optically.

The safrole-derived I am looking at getting is definitely somewhat impure, so I guess it is likely to be Canadian-origin. I'll see if anyone's gotten it tested purity wise, or if there's any claimed provinance on it.

Two things:

Any remote level of impurity will skew the results massively and so unless you are also willing to undertake clinical pharmaceutical standards of purification it will be highly inaccurate.

The 75:25 figure I gave was in no way intended to be viewed as reliable quantitative expectation, rather it was only to make it easier to explain the extent of difference in activity in isolate form. I must apologise if I gave the impression that such a value was based on more than random numerating.

Two things:

Any remote level of impurity will skew the results massively and so unless you are also willing to undertake clinical pharmaceutical standards of purification it will be highly inaccurate.

The 75:25 figure I gave was in no way intended to be viewed as reliable quantitative expectation, rather it was only to make it easier to explain the extent of difference in activity in isolate form. I must apologise if I gave the impression that such a value was based on more than random numerating.

Noted, I thought I remembered that number as coming from discussions with someone involved in MDMA production, but that's probably the drugs rotting my brain again.

The impurity problem probably scuppers my idea, I don't have the equipment or the money to go repeatedly recrystallising for the sake of a crude and possibly unreliable test. I guess we just need to find a grad student to persuade to do a PhD in stereochemistry of clandestine MDMA synthesis.

It certainly appears that the "altered isomeric (enantiomeric) ratios of MDMA made from PMK-glycidate theory" is gaining traction. There is no question in my mind that this may provide the answer for why the new generation of MDMA pills produced from this pre-precursor seem to produce a more "mongy" and less "loved-up high"; and also why the pills themselves need to be packing 200-250mg of MDMA, when 100-150mg of (the apparently same) MDMA used to do the job entirely.

Routine laboratory testing of the enantiomeric/isomeric ratios of MDMA pills

The information which we need to help solve this problem is already out there, for some people it is literally at their fingertips. We all know that government forensic laboratories the world over are tasked with the job of identifying and weighing seized quantities of drugs. However, they are also routinely asked to compare a particular drug seizure with other seizures of the same type of drug to determine if they all originated from the same source. Whilst conducting a chemical comparison of different batches of MDMA pills is relatively rare, chemical comparisons of seized quantities of methamphetamine is common. When carrying out this comparison the forensic chemist will always determine the enantiomeric ratio of the samples to be compared. That is the ratio of D:L or S:R isomers in each. Obviously, if samples taken from different seizures have different ratios, then the drugs most likely did not originate from the same source and almost certainly did not come from the same individual manufacture.

Therefore, the European and North American laboratories conducting quantitative chemical analysis of "ecstasy" pills sent to them by the public, could in theory conduct this same analysis as the government forensic laboratories do, which would confirm the R:S isomeric ratio of the MDMA contained in any given pill. Whilst this additional testing is obviously more time consuming and may not be able to be done for every single MDMA pill that is analysed, it could certainly be done for particular pills of interest or where someone is prepared to pay the additional cost for the service (if this was allowed). Not only would such a test prove immediately whether this theory is indeed correct, but it would also create another way of ascertaining the MDMA pill's quality and help to distinguish the seemingly endless array of MDMA tablets entering the market.

MDMA from PMK-glycidate - how and why can there be any difference?

An ongoing source of confusion related to this issue has arisen because it is now routine for users to describe MDMA as either "PMK-glycidate produced MDMA" or "safrole/isosafrole produced MDMA”. This is so despite basic organic chemistry principles telling us that there should be NO difference at all between the two methods --> in fact it is due to these same basic principles that the altered isomer theory is so controversial and why for now it remains only a theory.

MDMA manufactured from "pure" (i.e. properly distilled) PMK or MD-P2P via any of the well-known reaction methods, will always produce racemic MDMA (50:50). This is what we want. Where safrole/isosafrole is used, PMK or MD-P2P is produced and this can then be purified and turned into near pure PMK. The same goes for another precursor, piperonal, it too being first converted into PMK or MD-P2P before being turned into MDMA. There is no reason whatsoever that PMK-glycidate cannot also be turned into PMK or MD-P2P, a product which can then be purified into near pure PMK and ultimately turned into MDMA in identical fashion. If this process occurred then there would be NO difference at all between safrole produced MDMA and PMK-glycidate produced MDMA. It is chemically impossible. If the MDMA is made from the same high quality PMK via the same of any one of a number of reactions known to be effective, then a high quality racemic (50:50) mix of MDMA will be produced irrespective of what precursor is used to begin with.

This explanation then leads into the other source of information or chemistry knowledge which if provided would undoubtedly help prove or disprove the theory. If the theory is true then a chemist should be able to explain WHY the new precursor produces the result that it does and that other possible causes of the altered enantiomeric ratios can be excluded. I have no doubt that government forensic chemists with experience in dismantling these particular MDMA labs would either know, or at least be able to work out, the answers.

PMK-glycidate, unlike PMK but like MDMA, does exist as two possible enantiomers. Therefore, is it possible that particular labs are using PMK-glycidate which exists in only one particular enantiomeric/isomeric form and that this somehow influences how the reaction proceeds from PMK to MDMA, so that the production of the R isomer of MDMA is favoured? Could it be that rather than purifying the PMK from the glycidate as they should, the manufacturers are also employing some new and unknown "one-pot" type synthesis, whereby the glycidate is turned into the ketone and then immediately reacted with the necessary reagents to produce MDMA? Such a one-pot synthesis (which would surely be a significant cost saving measure for the mega labs) would very likely favour the production of one MDMA enantiomer over the other, especially if the PMK-glycidate was not racemic to begin with! This explanation may also account for why some of the mega dose pills still seem better than some of the others.

By way of example, suppose there are three labs all using the glycidate to make the MDMA:

(i) Lab 1 purifies the PMK before then making the MDMA in an entirely separate reaction - the result is 50:50 racemic MDMA; this MDMA should be no different to "safrole produced MDMA".

(ii) Lab 2 uses some new "one-pot" synthesis and their glycidate precursor comes out of the jar as a 50:50 racemic mixture - perhaps such a reaction favours the production of the R a little bit over the S; so this MDMA might have a R:S ratio of 65:35.

(iii) Lab 3 uses the same "one-pot" synthesis as lab 2 but their glycidate precursor comes out of the jar as only one of the possible enantiomers (it is enantiomerically pure like dexamphetamine is) - perhaps such a “one-pot” reaction to MDMA with only one of the two possible isomers for the glycidate favours the production of the R a lot more than the S; so this MDMA might have a R:S ratio of 80:20.

Now I have no idea at all if any of this is even close to correct and my figures have simply been plucked out of the air to illustrate the point. However, it is one possible explanation that I have come up with and it is an explanation which someone with an understanding of these new processes must be able to rule in or rule out.

Catalysts - are these the real culprits?

Of course this entire discussion has assumed that the glycidate is the culprit. Logic would suggest that it must be however there is another possibility which has nothing to do with the glycidate at all…

These mega labs may well be manufacturing and purifying perfectly good PMK/MD-P2P from the glycidate as we would hope and consequently any MDMA produced from that ketone should be the desired 50:50 mix. However, PMK must obviously be converted to MDMA by reacting it with another precursor, in the presence of other chemical reagents or a CATAYLST to make the reaction work. Catalysts are more commonly used by large scale chemical factories than chemical reagents because catalysts can be used over and over again, whereas the reagent is generally converted into something else and becomes waste.

It is a well-known fact that many catalysts are stereoselective - meaning that they will favour the production of a particular isomer, even though the precursor would otherwise make a racemic product if that particular catalyst was not used. Is it possible that at the same time the large scale manufacturers started using the glycidate, they also started using some new highly effective but sadly stereoselective catalyst to produce the final product? If such a catalyst is being used by any of the manufacturers, then it wouldn't matter if the MDMA was originally made from safrole, piperonal, PMK-glycidate or Tinkerbell's fairy dust, it would eventually end up as a non-racemic mix of MDMA isomers; the proportions of which may not only be completely different, but could well change from batch to batch to batch. So that is another option.

-----------------

I apologise for the length of this post but I have been mulling over this matter for some time and this is the first thread I have come across where the topic has been raised in this direct way. I realise I have made some reference to synthesis however I have deliberately avoided mentioning the other various chemicals and steps which would be necessary to even come close to making anything illegal. Given the nature of the discussion, it seems impossible to be able to speak about the topic sensibly without at least mentioning the different precursors by name and providing a very simple explanation of the two main steps involved. Finally, if there is another thread where this topic is being discussed that would be a more appropriate home for my endless spiel, I would be most thankful if a moderator could move it.

Last edited:
^^
Yup, I tried warning people a while back.

R-MDMA does not affect striatal DA

As a layman I'm trying to understand! What I'm getting is that the S has a differing effect to the R (as shulgin always said) and S is more toxic, akin to and acts just as ampethamine but delivers a differing high. Or am i completely off the mark. Perhaps a dummies guide / sprout translation can put it in our layman terms?

And what were you warning people of? Did i miss something? I thought we had decided on purely anectdotal evidence (difference in high, difference in marquis going black rather than purple) that there maybe new manufacture methods cheapening the production of MDMA which result in a higher % of R. As I first said a long time ago current test methods test for MD but there are variances of MD quality. 300 mg maybe be 300 but it could all be R which ain't a pill I want.

If the dealers are jumping into this debate then good luck to them. It actually shows they are aware that their quality is lacking and they are being taken for a ride by the producers (who have taken a much larger cut of profits and not passed it down the line, if our hypothesis is true) IE they are now admitting they are paying way to much for an inferior product. Proof is always in the pudding and surely that is what is going to set aside claims made?

As most I'm sure would agree a high priced lower mg of predominant S which gave 5 hours of pure bliss would set club land on fire in a heart beat, if indeed guys today have been taking predominantly R based compound.

Edit - to anyone who missed the point of our anecdotal and theories (they are only that). it is pretty much irrelevant if it's safferole, PMK or PMK gkycidate as the start point it's how you get to the end product that counts. Use safferole but then use a cheap production method still results in Mongy MD and the need to take doses at a much higher level.

Last edited:
I think what sprout meant about the warning is dealers starting to use (claimed) precursor as a marketing point, of course without lab data on isomer ratio it's not worth the digital paper it's metaphorically printed on, just another version of "yeah bruv this shit is pure fire" or whatever. The linked paper is not connected to the warning point as best I can tell, just supporting evidence on the effects of stereochemistry of MDMA on effect.

As best as I can tell from that paper's abstract, they are using uptake of radiolabelled monoamine neurotransmitters as a proxy for determining which NTs are being released by each isomer, with the results showing that R-MDMA is not dopaminergic, which, if the isomer imbalance that is speculated to exist in a lot of currently produced MDMA is true, would explain the "mongyness" felt from it. It's interesting to me that there's no stereospecific difference on NE effect though, as I would have expected given reports that "mongy" MDMA is lacking in energy that NT would be relatively lacking, but I guess neurochemistry is complicated so you still get a lack of felt energy from just missing out on DA. Interesting stuff, and it's always good to have data to work from. Now we just need some isomer analysis of shitty MDMA and good MDMA, potentially with duplication of synthesis routes using different precursors and routes to confirm that is the cause of the issue.

I think it refers to the fact that there is a now confirmed difference on the brain between R and S isomer % MDMA.

Current THEORY is that the majority of MDMA now produced has much higher % of R which acts differently on the brain than S. Originally people followed the Shulgin route to manufacture but now it's all about the profit.

R gives no amephatime high compared to S and R gives much less of the euphoria and energy. Most MD will contain both R and S however these days the R is in higher %. It's easier to make product which ends up with more R IE. faster cheaper etc.

Shulgin did both and highlighted R as lacking compared to S.

But Sprout will of course put me right ?

Hypothetically one could use enzymatic alteration to bring the effect profile of 70:30 R/S closer to the desired 50:50.....

Hypothetically one could use enzymatic alteration to bring the effect profile of 70:30 R/S closer to the desired 50:50.....

Why bother with enzymes when you could, effectively, do the synth again but right this time? But maybe that's just my bias towards classical chemistry over biochem speaking out.

1 year ago I wrote about it, but the topic was not popular. Maybe now it will be interesting to someone else.

04-03-2015 11:35

It not discussion of synthesis, don't delete. Mine opinions about absence of magic.

Safrol - isosafrol - 3,4-MDP2P - mdma.
It is a classical way. Most of all magics.
Absence of magic at it
ecstasy - bad cleaning, expired ingredients. Bad chemist.

Other way Piperonal - 3,4-MDP2NP - 3,4-MDP2P - mdma.
More difficult, but for lack of safrol someone can so does ecstasy. It will be possible at such way of magic less. To ready Mdma
it is a lot of intermediate stages,
3,4-MDP2NP quickly spoil. Bad catalysts.
Generally it is heavier to make and the product can it will turn out worse quality
Here quality of precursors influences very strongly.
Such way will be suitable for Mda rather.

As I understood there is other way. Do mdma of PMK-Glycidate.
I don't know about it anything. But I assume that mdma from it turns out the worst quality.

Perhaps that ecstasy from safrol and Piperonal meet less often than from PMK-Glycidate.

Of course not only quality of a product, but also many other things influence magic.
But the probability of magic at original mdma is much more.​

Most Common used methods (But not the only methods)

MDMA = Sassafras oil* (lt.) Hydrogen peroxide / aluminium amalgam 31% = YIELD
MDMA = Sassafras oil* (lt.) Hydrobromic acid 48% = = YIELD
MDMA = 3,4-MDP-2-P (lt.) Formic acid (Leuckart) 66% = = YIELD
MDMA = Sassafras oil* (lt.) Methyl nitrite / aluminium amalgam (Wacker) 68% = = YIELD
MDMA = 3,4-MDP-2-P (lt.) Aluminium amalgam (reductive amination) 95% = = YIELD

You have to think that the large scale operations are looking at the highest yield, though it shows there are several methods, I do not image they have anything other than MDMA=MDMA in mind when doing this indstruial process, rather than which process yields the best "feeling" of MDMA. I imagine different labs use different methods, different labs also use different precursors.

The main precursor chemicals used in the manufacture of ecstasy-group substances are included in Table 1 of the 1988 Convention and their licit trade and reported diversions to illicit manufacture are monitored by the INCB. Seizures of these precursors have increased in 2012- 2013 following a number of years where there was a considerable discrepancy in the volume of seizures compared to the worldwide availability of the drugs themselves, in particular MDMA. While the amounts of 3,4-MDP-2-P and piperonal seized continue to be low, safrole and safrole rich oil seizures have increased with Cambodia, Malaysia, Mexico and the United States all reporting seizures greater than 2,000 litres in 2011, while Australian authorites reported a seizure of 3.5 tons of safrole in 2012.424425 Within Cambodia, a further 4,000 litres of safrole rich oils were seized in a clandestine laboratory in 2012.426 Within Europe, the Belgian authorities seized almost 10,000 litres of safrole rich oils in 2011 and in August and October 2013, two industrial scale clandestine MDMA laboratories were dismantled in Belgium.427 In the first of these cases, several tons of safrole were seized and in the second 35 tons of as yet unidentified chemicals were found.

Continuing with new compounds being found in the production of MDMA/MDA.

Evidence of the use of non-controlled precursors in the manufacture of ecstasy-group substances has also increased in recent years, with seizures of 1,200 kg of the methyl glycidate derivative of 3,4-MDP-2-P in 2010. This trend continued in 2011 with the discovery of helional in several clandestine laboratories in Australia and the United States.430 This non-controlled precursor chemical, widely used in the chemical industry as a fragrance agent, can be used in the manufacture of MDA and thus also MDMA and MDE.

Ok...

"Safrole and Sassafras Oil no longer need to be used as a precursor for MDMA"

http://www.fsijournal.org/article/S0379-0738(12)00456-2/abstract

An unusual clandestine laboratory synthesis of 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA)

A few of my posts last year

I am confident that a probelm in precursors.
I ate mda which was received from 3,4-MDP2NP. Magics was much.
If precursors a shit that and the final product is shit

I tried dirty Mda. Badly cleared.
I tried Mda from overdue precursors.
I tried pure mda.
Difference big.

To take for example methamphetamine.
As I know that the methamphetamine received from ephedrine from it is much more euphoria than received from P2NP.
Also if long to hold P2NP it spoils and the product at the exit too will be bad. 3,4-MDP2NP it can't long be stored. Nobody can precisely tell as the mdma becomes now. Safrol can became less available.

I read on market place

Logo: Playboys

They write that is made from safrole

☢ Distillation of sassafras oil.
☢ Isomerization of safrole
☢ Epoxidation reaction via peracetic acid
☢ Benzoquinone wacker oxidation (safrole -> MDP2P)
☢ Al / nitromethane / HgCl2 / MDP2P reductive amination.
☢ Crystalizing MDMA.HCl out of MDMA freebase oil.

Nitromethane not active. Why does he need to reductive animation?
Maybe Methylamine?
After such a description is not believed that it is made from safrole.

I read on market place

Logo: Playboys

They write that is made from safrole

☢ Distillation of sassafras oil.
☢ Isomerization of safrole
☢ Epoxidation reaction via peracetic acid
☢ Benzoquinone wacker oxidation (safrole -> MDP2P)
☢ Al / nitromethane / HgCl2 / MDP2P reductive amination.
☢ Crystalizing MDMA.HCl out of MDMA freebase oil.

Nitromethane not active. Why does he need to reductive animation?
Maybe Methylamine?
After such a description is not believed that it is made from safrole.

Not to go too deep into the chemistry, but that step's fine as described, two oxidation reactions is just nonsensical though. And of course being able to quote chemistry is no indication at all of what's actually being made or not.