MAPS MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy: A View from Both Sides of the Couch

Hmmm... This seems to be some incredibly poor research, I hope MAPS or the NIH has something stronger under there belt. There is no data, the subject(s) writing the article has no symptoms MDMA is being researched to treat ( as far as I know ).

"My MDMA experience emphasized a truth that I aspire to both in therapy sessions and in the rest of my life:Trust the process. In MDMA-assisted treatment, trusting the process is absolutely critical.Trying to force or overly direct the content or unfolding of a therapy session violates a cardinal principle of this type of therapy: that healing must be self-directed.Yes, we can facilitate the process, but in the end the healing guides itself"-NAFTALI HALBERSTADT, PH.D. (MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy:
A View from Both Sides of the Couch)

This is information that has been know for years... This isn't anywhere near what the community needs to get MDMA in the hands of patients who could benefit from the drug.

I fully believe many Science Majors here on Bluelight could publish more beneficial and proper information to help prove the benefits of MDMA / Harm reduction techniques / define what patients immediately need treatment and so on...

To me this article pretty much says " trust your therapist " and there is absolutely no beneficial info.

I believe the best candidates for MDMA Psychotherapy are individuals who have been aware of the drug and or used it for over a decade, just picking some PH.D.(s) that want to research something new seems pretty pointless, and quite frankly I don't think these Therapist have what it takes to properly cure a patient. Some researchers need to ( silently ) come out of the closet and step up and say what they need to say.

We need more publications on the following:

- How making MDMA a pharmaceutical will impact society worldwide, will it be a problem or no? What kind of supervision control can we implement so it can be immediately prescribed in therapy to those who need it desperately.

- Explanations of 5-HT Receptors and how MDMA interacts with these sites, essentially we need scientific proof that highly increasing serotonin levels for 6-8 hours has a positive effect on patients ( there is some material on this but no enough )

- Harm reduction, how ALA and 5-HTP can come into play along with follow up session's ( Non MDMA sessions )

Governments don't want to sit around and read that DR's around the world are simply " experimenting " with phenethylamine and amphetamine class drugs or psychedelics for that matter, they need / want facts, the FDA's decision is going to be based on research and proof, not PH.D(s) simply " Horsing around with the drug" this has been going on for years and done absolutely nothing intact it is usually looked down upon.

No offense to the author but he is simply stating his opinion ( which is correct ) however already widely known in the community.

I <3 MAPS I just think you guys have a little more ammo than this scab of a publication.

This is not intended to be patient treatment research, but focused on therapist training. It is intended as a corollary to the patient trials that are already underway to explore the issues you mention. This stuff may seem obvious to you, but it is definitely not to the average person or even the average therapist. It's very important that therapists understand their role in MDMA-assisted therapy, and it's even more important that all aspects of research and training are presented to the public in articles like these to help people understand the immense opportunity for healing that MDMA-assisted treatment presents if carried out in a clinical setting with a well-trained professional.

This is not intended to be patient treatment research, but focused on therapist training. It is intended as a corollary to the patient trials that are already underway to explore the issues you mention. This stuff may seem obvious to you, but it is definitely not to the average person or even the average therapist. It's very important that therapists understand their role in MDMA-assisted therapy, and it's even more important that all aspects of research and training are presented to the public in articles like these to help people understand the immense opportunity for healing that MDMA-assisted treatment presents if carried out in a clinical setting with a well-trained professional.

Valid point, Where else was this published and or distributed besides MAPS.org? I'm truly not trying to be rude, I will agree generally speaking most therapists do not know enough about MDMA, however this article simply needed some more juice the author doesn't even mention a safety profile. Whatever MAPS does wonderful things and I will support anyone working alongside.
<3