• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

MDA + Tramadol - New Experience - SEIZURE (Do NOT mix these)

TwistedReality

Bluelighter
I went to a party at a club this weekend where a few of my friends were DJ'ing. I had two drinks beforehand and decided to eat 100 mg of MDA. I had a nice buzz going all night, but by the time the party was over around 3 a.m. I was ready for it to end. My friend had some Tramadol, so I took 200 mg. I then realized that Tramadol does have anti-depressant qualities and it is a bad idea to mix the two, but it was too late at that point. I was fine, although I didn't get any sleep that night. The next day I took another 150 mg, figuring that the MDA was out of my system.

I thought I fell asleep for a few minutes, and woke up and threw up. When I came out of the bathroom, my friend M looked at me and said, "You probably don't know this, but you just had a seizure. I had to give you CPR." I was in complete disbelief. Apparently I started to spasm and my eyes rolled back, and my head was stuck in one position cocked to the side. I wasn't breathing and began to turn blue. M could not find a pulse. He said as he was giving me CPR he was afraid his efforts were futile because it seemed I was already dead. He was about to call 911 when I suddenly gasped for air.

I got lucky that I had a friend who a) knew what to do in the situation, b) remained calm, and c) wasn't afraid to call 911 if it came down to it. I felt really disoriented the rest of the day, and kept thinking about my close call. Right after it happened I decided to get on Bluelight and type a trip report just as a warning to never mix these two drugs. Be safe!

substancecode_mda
substancecode_tramadol
substancecode_opioids
_combo_
categorycode_trainwreck

Last edited by a moderator:
From wikipedia:

By itself, it can decrease the seizure threshold. When combined with SSRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, or in patients with epilepsy, the seizure threshold is further decreased. Seizures have been reported in humans receiving excessive single oral doses (700 mg) or large intravenous doses (300 mg). An Australian study found that of 97 confirmed new-onset seizures, eight were associated with Tramadol, and that in the authors' First Seizure Clinic, "Tramadol is the most frequently suspected cause of provoked seizures" (Labate 2005). Seizures caused by tramadol are most often tonic-clonic seizures, more commonly known in the past as grand mal seizures. Also when taken with SSRIs, there is an increased risk of serotonin syndrome.

^ Yeah I already knew that in the back of my mind, but only realized it after I'd taken the Tramadol. It was almost a costly mistake.

I'm pleased that you're OK & thanks for highlighting it because it wasn't anything I had a clue about.

I actually didn't know about that either. Thanks for the knowledge, and im glad your alright!

Awesome! I was hoping I could illuminate this threat for someone and help them avoid a bad situation. That's what BL is for! :)

Thanks for the report, TR :)

Have had a recent bad experience combining LSD with tramadol so have an idea of which you speak :)

Wow...Rather scary but the other day I'd had a drink and some tramadol, fell asleep and the next day I felt unbelievably out of it, disorientated but at the same time quite high. A friend of mine with epilepsy always described the feeling after a seizure as a rather weird high...would explain why I felt like that...crap.

I've mixed coke with tramadol, nice buzz but pretty damn stupid.

Tramadol+stimulants seems to be a particularly dangerous combo, anecdotally at least. I wonder if there's any studies that back this up.

I've mixed coke with tramadol, nice buzz but pretty damn stupid.

That's the combo that killed Old Dirty Bastard of the Wu-Tang Clan.

i also had a bad reaction with MDMA and Tramadol, I did not have a seizure but i went into serotonin shock.

I had a friend who combined a near maintenance dose of tramadol (for him, ~50 mg) with ~100 mg / MDA, after finding that tramadol withdrawal + an entactogen sucks. But we also administered a benzodiazapine as a prophylactic against seizures a couple of hours in, and, well, it worked (no seizure), but that datum doesn't say much on its own.

Just in sum, combining drugs that lower the seizure threshold works out poorly.

ebola

I had a friend who combined a near maintenance dose of tramadol (for him, ~50 mg) with ~100 mg / MDA, after finding that tramadol withdrawal + an entactogen sucks. But we also administered a benzodiazapine as a prophylactic against seizures a couple of hours in, and, well, it worked (no seizure), but that datum doesn't say much on its own.

Just in sum, combining drugs that lower the seizure threshold works out poorly.

ebola

Being that friend of yours, I can safely say that if you take tramadol regularly as an antidepressant (i.e. are addicted to tramadol), you should pretty much wave goodbye to recreational stimulants beyond caffeine.

I tried skipping my dose to roll that day, and while the beginning of the trip was pleasant, once the WD's kicked in, I was having a terrible time, so much so that I risked taking a small amount of tramadol just to feel slightly better, taking a Xanax as well to help prevent seizures. I didn't feel the effects of the MDxx much after that, but I was pretty high on the Xanax/tramadol combination, so it didn't matter too much to me. I would have rather had a balls-out crazy roll than just another pleasant nod, but oh well I suppose.

^ Tramadol withdrawal is disproportionate to its recreational strength, even in people who enjoy it like you and me. It felt to me as through I was having simultaneous withdrawal from Heroin and Speed at the same time.