• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

mashed potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I eat mashed cauliflower with a little bit of milk, margerine, cheese, salt and pepper. It's yummy, tastes similar. No, not as good, but yeah. Probably healthier. I believe cauliflower has a lot of vitamin C, I think one cup is equal to a full day of C.

EDIT: Some of the vitamin C is probably lost when its cooked. I dont know how much, but i just didnt want to give misleading info.

^ I love doing that too. But I want to ask, why do you use margarine? Butter is so much better for you!

With the cheese and milk you don't really need butter or margarine. I haven't bought either product in 15+ years. I lie. I use butter for cannabutter.

While potato (white, red, golden etc) are technically complex carbohydrate they are also very high glycemic (meaning the sugars in the potato are released rapidly. You can circumvent this partially by consuming them with lots of fats which will slow down the digestion of the potato.

Sweet potato is a much healthier option. And tastier!

^ And full of estrogen ;). Or was that yams? Bah, they both taste very similar (and icky).

And yes, I listen to my body when I cook. I have always felt that adding lots of butter to mashed potatoes made them more desirable... I guess now I know that that was my blood sugar talking :)

maybe you're thinking about soy? It has compounds called 'phyto-estrogen' that are very similar in structure to estrogen. It has not been proven that they can bind and activate estrogen receptors though. I dislike soy protein though for different reasons (I do not find it very useful for strength gains unlike say fish, egg, dairy, chicken, or beef protein).

Estrogen plays a vital role in bodybuilding. The assumption that estrogen = bad for muscle building is a bad one.

Low estrogen levels mean an inability to build muscle, dry aching joints, sexual/mood problems, etc.

It is one reason why aromatase inhibitors such as Letrozole (which are very potent and can reduce estrogen to 1-3% of regular levels) are such dangerous drugs to take.

While potato (white, red, golden etc) are technically complex carbohydrate they are also very high glycemic (meaning the sugars in the potato are released rapidly. You can circumvent this partially by consuming them with lots of fats which will slow down the digestion of the potato.

Sweet potato is a much healthier option. And tastier!
Thank you sunyata for that added comment, I forgot to add that one. Sweet potatoes are definately the go, for lower GI in case of diabetics as well as the deep yellow ones (the flesh).

some more info:

All potatoes have a high glycaemic index – an unjustified
generalisation

However, as with all GI data, the GI values of potatoes may depend
on cooking method, processing, variety and the composition of the
meal (Lunetta et al. 1995; Fernandes et al. 2005; Foster-Powell et al.
2002). This fact deserves attention since mashed potatoes, French
fries, baked potatoes and potatoes cooked in a microwave are
characterised by GI values mostly exceeding the upper limit for a
high GI value of 70 (Fig. 1); whereas conventionally boiled potatoes
appear to have a GI value on average below 70. The values of conventionally
boiled potatoes do vary considerably though, so it may
also be that some potato varieties have an inherently low GI whatever
the cooking method (Najjar et al. 2004; Fernandes et al.
2005). In this context, it should be considered that most currently
available GI values are based on mature potato varieties (Ontario,
Prince Edward Island, Desiree, Pontiac, Sebago) (Hambloch,
2005). The starch of more mature potatoes is, however, easier to
digest, presumably due to increased amylopectin branching and
hence lower resistance to gelatinisation, which in turn results in a
higher GI (Soh & Brand-Miller, 1999). Finally, recent studies
have shown that potatoes consumed cold have a lower GI because
the digestibility of starch decreases with cooling, thus cold potato
preparations such as potato salad can be expected to have a low
GI (Najjar et al. 2004; Fernandes et al. 2005).

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file
http://www.diagnosemefirst.com/Diet Glycaemic Index.htm

I find it amazing how much discussion the topic of mashed potatoes can generate. Dont forget the sour cream and chives. ggllllhlhlgl

^ I love doing that too. But I want to ask, why do you use margarine? Butter is so much better for you!

I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light because it has half the calories of butter.

Is real butter really better for you?? You might have just made my day :) I love the taste of butter SOOOOO much better!

^ Quite a tongue twister there

eating fat doesn't make you fat

eating a lot of fat of course will make you fat (just like eating a lot of anything will make you fat)

gram of fat = 9 calories

gram of protein/carbohydrate = 4 calories

maybe you're thinking about soy? It has compounds called 'phyto-estrogen' that are very similar in structure to estrogen. It has not been proven that they can bind and activate estrogen receptors though. I dislike soy protein though for different reasons (I do not find it very useful for strength gains unlike say fish, egg, dairy, chicken, or beef protein).

Estrogen plays a vital role in bodybuilding. The assumption that estrogen = bad for muscle building is a bad one.

Low estrogen levels mean an inability to build muscle, dry aching joints, sexual/mood problems, etc.

It is one reason why aromatase inhibitors such as Letrozole (which are very potent and can reduce estrogen to 1-3% of regular levels) are such dangerous drugs to take.

Nope, definitely yams, since I heard about them being used as an alternative to hormonal therapies for women...

Isolation and identification of novel estrogenic compounds in yam tuber (Dioscorea alata Cv. Tainung No. 2).
Cheng WY, Kuo YH, Huang CJ.

Division of Nutritional Biochemistry, Institute of Microbiology and Biochemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.

Yam (Dioscorea spp.) is a common food in tropical areas and has been shown to improve the status of sex hormone in postmenopausal women. In this study, the estrogenic activity of yam was examined and active compounds were isolated and identified based on ligand-dependent transcriptional activation through estrogen receptors. Ethyl acetate extracts of various species/varieties of yam were found to activate estrogen receptors alpha and beta to various extents. The extract of Dioscorea alata cv. Tainung No. 2 tuber was fractionated by repeated silica gel column chromatography. The active compounds were isolated and purified by preparative HPLC. Based on NMR and mass spectrometry, two new compounds, hydro-Q(9) chromene (1) and gamma-tocopherol-9 (2), together with three known compounds, RRR-alpha-tocopherol (3), coenzyme Q(9) (4), and 1-feruloylglycerol (5), were identified and shown to activate human ERalpha and beta. These results provide basic evidence for the beneficial effect of yam for menopausal women.

Estrogenic effect of yam ingestion in healthy postmenopausal women.
Wu WH, Liu LY, Chung CJ, Jou HJ, Wang TA.

Graduate Program of Nutrition, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, 106, Taiwan. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: Yam (Dioscorea) has been used to treat menopausal symptom folklorically. This study was to investigate the effects of yam ingestion on lipids, antioxidant status, and sex hormones in postmenopausal women. METHODS: Twenty-four apparently healthy postmenopausal women were recruited to replace their staple food (rice for the most part) with 390 g of yam (Dioscorea alata) in 2 of 3 meals per day for 30 days and 22 completed the study. Fasting blood and first morning urine samples were collected before and after yam intervention for the analyses of blood lipids, sex hormones, urinary estrogen metabolites and oxidant stress biomarker. The design was a one arm, pre-post study. A similar study of postmenopausal women (n = 19) fed 240 g of sweet potato for 41 days was included as a control study. Serum levels of estrone, estradiol and SHBG were analyzed for this control group. RESULTS: After yam ingestion, there were significant increases in serum concentrations of estrone (26%), sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) (9.5%), and near significant increase in estradiol (27%). No significant changes were observed in serum concentrations of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, androstenedione, testosterone, follicular stimulating hormone, and luteinizing hormone. Free androgen index estimated from the ratio of serum concentrations of total testosterone to SHBG decreased. Urinary concentrations of the genotoxic metabolite of estrogen, 16alpha-hydroxyestrone decreased significantly by 37%. Plasma cholesterol concentration decreased significantly by 5.9%. Lag time of low-density lipoprotein oxidation prolonged significantly by 5.8% and urinary isoprostane levels decreased significantly by 42%. For the control subjects fed with sweet potato, all three hormone parameters measured were not changed after intervention. CONCLUSION: Although the exact mechanism is not clear, replacing two thirds of staple food with yam for 30 days improves the status of sex hormones, lipids, and antioxidants. These effects might reduce the risk of breast cancer and cardiovascular diseases in postmenopausal women.

bizarre

well sweet potato and yams are different *I think* - I'm not actually sure about that they look so similar. They are from different parts of the world though (again *I think*).

Yeah. Sweet potatoes are ipomoea batatas, a species of morning glory, while yams are different species in the genus dioscorea. Sweet potatoes are native to South America, while the yams are native to many regions all over the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.