• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read dead at 58

Mark Read was one predatory motherfucker by his own admission
so are a lot of the wealthy, politicians, directors, insert upstanding member of society here

i think the guy needed some help is all. i have more hatred or disgust for the wealthy. chopper had a hard life. a very hard life. i doubt many of us here could comprehend seriously what he injured.

didn't actually blame the dude. I don't exactly get what you're trying to imply? that state sponsored murderers shouldn't be given the props that they do? if so I agree.

My comment was regarding the dissonance found in societies acceptance and often justification of certain criminals and their acts, not the the accountability owed chopper read in the greater context of the Australian military in international conflict.

i guess what im saying is murder is murder. you obviously dont like murderers and i dont blame you, nor do I. I guess im just trying to put his little life into context. how do you feel about our aussie boys terrorising/murdering the afghanis. chopper killed how many people say 50 at the most. you seen what our military get up too. if you cant see the correlation i must be more bent than i thought.

for me there is no difference in giving chopper or the military 'props' murder is murder under any guise.

i dunno i sympathise with him.

Last edited:
^ In some sense I sympathise with him, I remember seeing an interview where he claimed he was "interfered with as a child" and it seems like he did have a rough upbringing, got into trouble young and was pretty much institutionalized as a result, still though, there is no denying he did some seriously bad shit to a fair few people and regardless of whether he let one person take the liver transplant he could of had I don't know that redeems him. As someone who spent a number of years training various martial arts and the like I certainly respect that Mark Read was a serious hard man, and that no matter how hard he got hit, bashed or stabbed he stayed who he was and wasn't one to back down. Still though, while you can respect it in some small way it is certainly nothing to be admired, and society would be a lot worse off if more people were like him.

I don't know why you keep bringing up the military, it is such a seperate issue it is not funny. I don't agree with where we are in terms of military conflicts and I definitely think that some (although I am yet to be convinced it is a majority, I could certainly be more well read on the subject) of our service men and women act atrociously over there, that is different to being a career violent criminal who is portrayed in the media like a celebrity. If one of our soldiers gets caught seriously acting out overseas they are demonised, not worshiped. Yes the military does get a lot of respect by default that isn't necessarily deserved, the whole "fighting for your country" notion hasn't applied since World War II from what I can tell and I don't see why being essentially a bunch of hired thugs for the corporate interests of the US military industrial complex is really something that commands respect.

I think you do have to acknowledge though that there are a lot of factors in a war like conflict which may cause people to act in an unacceptable manner that are a bit more understandable than it happening in everyday society. I feel that someone who was a decent person until they got into a war zone and saw death every day and was often peer pressured by other soldiers to engage in shitty behavior that is rationalised as normal or "what they deserve" has a lot more prospects to be rehabilitated than somebody who engaged in cold blooded murder for the sake of cold blooded murder and/or financial incentive. I am not downplaying the shit soldiers do in war or saying that is is acceptable I just think you do have to make a distinction between that and a total violent sociopath type that killed numerous, possibly many, people throughout the course of their less than 60 years on earth.

All that said, I am not hating on Mark Read and I am not glad that he is dead. Whether people believe he deserved it or not, he has a family and there really is no need to throw hate up the day after their loved one has died, keep that shit to yourself. RIP Mr Read.

If every person who had a tough childhood went out and killed someone we would have piles of bodies in the streets. At some point every kid grows up, becomes an adult and is responsible for their own actions. Too many people like and easy excuse to take the blame why they do stupid things. From what I saw of him he seemed very intelligent, not retarded or mentally insane to the extent that he couldn't stop at any time.

It's not like he was providing a service to society or anything. If I was putting together a utopian community I'd hardly think to myself, " how many stand over men do we need to murder and extort to make things run more smoothly?"

That is true I can't deny. He did seem like a smart/cunning bastard!

Guy was a sociopath. As in DSM-V definition of a sociopath. Still a sociopath can be a good bloke at times and a complete psycho at others. Obviously "Chopper" was a bit of a psycho bastard but he was also just another bloke and had some degree of empathy and moral code. Doesn't justify blowing peoples heads off but sociopaths are notorious charmers.

My first thought was who gives a fuck?

Then I realised, even I sort of do, after reading his books. An unenviable character, but a character, nonetheless.

Philosophically I don't agree with our idolising socio/psychopaths as a society, even though these people fascinate me, it's the sad fact these people are idealised whether white collar or brutal stand over man

^ well put IM.

I've been finding it hard to come to a conclusion with him and whats happened.

I don't feel I know enough about the bloke to have a proper opinion.

My first thought was who gives a fuck?

Then I realised, even I sort of do, after reading his books. An unenviable character, but a character, nonetheless.

Philosophically I don't agree with our idolising socio/psychopaths as a society, even though these people fascinate me, it's the sad fact these people are idealised whether white collar or brutal stand over man

Yep everyone loves a good psychopath.

Chopper... an interesting character. But a murderer. And frankly, I'm firmly of the belief that murder is the worst crime that a human being can commit. So while I may have some morbid curiosity regarding him, I certainly am not one who reveres him.

Still, I am sad when anyone dies, regardless of who they are. Rest in peace Mr. Read.