• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana Use in America Has Doubled in the Past Decade, Study Says

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Rates have increased especially among middle-aged people, senior citizens, blacks and Hispanics

Pot has seen a stark rise in popularity in the U.S. over the past 10 years, according to new research.

A study published Wednesday in the journal JAMA Psychiatry surveyed over 36,000 adults in 2012–13, asking participants if they had used marijuana in the past year. About 9.5% of respondents said they had used pot — double that of the decade before, when the same question elicited a 4.1% affirmative among 43,000 adults.

Just as interesting as the growth of marijuana users is who is consuming marijuana. The report shows that rates were especially higher among middle-aged adults and senior citizens, along with notable increases in black and Hispanic groups.

While the study did not address reasons for the spike in marijuana use, it’s possible that a change in attitudes and more marijuana-friendly legislation has played a role. A new Gallup poll shows 58% of Americans were for the legalization of pot across the country, compared with just 12% in 1969, when the survey started.

http://time.com/4082683/us-marijuana-use-increase/

Probably just more people are willing to admit that they have these days.

In CO, there was a spike for a while. But then after the craze died down, its pretty much the same people that have always smoked pot doing it. I still don't think there's ever going to be that many people that really enjoy doing it all the time.

58%...thats good. In florida we are voting on medical cannabis again. It requires 60% majority to pass it. Hopefully since the last vote...that had more than half of the state voting for it, people have had time to change their mind or actually go out and vote.

I don't smoke pot because it gives me panic episodes, however I will stand up for the right of every american/ citizen of the world to use this plant. There is no need for it to be criminal especially in the face of overwhelming studies on how benign it is. It just is a bunch of politicians unable to admit they are less informed than their constituents. Also, these same politicians are probably in the pocket of the prison industrial system, or were elected on their "harsh on crime" platforms. This is a perfect storm of ignorance that is costing us billions of dollars a year stateside, and trillions of dollars the world over....for a freaking plant!