Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana may not be lesser evil

erosion

Bluelight Crew
Gateway drug' or not, experts say, it's not a benign path for teens
Rita Rubin, USA Today
February 7, 2007

Tyreol Gardner first smoked marijuana when he was 13.

"The main reason I tried it was curiosity," Gardner recalls. "I wanted to see what it felt like."

He liked what it felt like, and by age 15, he was smoking pot every week. He supported his habit with the money his parents gave him for getting straight A's on his report card. They didn't have a clue.

"By 16, when I got my license, it turned into a fairly everyday thing," says Gardner, now 24. "I believe it is very addictive, especially for people with addictive personalities."

Millions of baby boomers might disagree. After all, they smoked marijuana — the country's most popular illicit drug — in their youth and quit with little effort.

But studies have shown that when regular pot smokers quit, they do experience withdrawal symptoms, a characteristic used to predict addictiveness. Most users of more addictive drugs, such as cocaine or heroin, started with marijuana, scientists say, and the earlier they started, the greater their risk of becoming addicted.

Many studies have documented a link between smoking marijuana and the later use of "harder" drugs such as heroin and cocaine, but that doesn't necessarily mean marijuana causes addiction to harder drugs.

"Is marijuana a gateway drug? That question has been debated since the time I was in college in the 1960s and is still being debated today," says Harvard University psychiatrist Harrison Pope, director of the Biological Psychiatry Laboratory at Boston's McLean Hospital. "There's just no way scientifically to end that argument one way or the other."

That's because it's impossible to separate marijuana from the environment in which it is smoked, short of randomly assigning people to either smoke pot or abstain — an experiment that would be grossly unethical.

"I would bet you that people who start smoking marijuana earlier are more likely to get into using other drugs," Pope says. Perhaps people who are predisposed to using a variety of drugs start smoking marijuana earlier than other people do, he says.

Besides alcohol, which is often the first substance that adolescents abuse, marijuana may simply be the most accessible and least scary choice for a novice who is susceptible to drug addiction, says Virginia Tech psychologist Bob Stephens.

No matter which side you take in the debate over whether marijuana is a "gateway" to other illicit drugs, you can't argue with "indisputable data" showing that smoking pot affects neuropsychological functioning, such as hand-eye coordination, reaction time and memory, says Wesley Clarke, director of the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Adolescents have the greatest rates of marijuana use, and they also have the greatest amount to lose by using marijuana, scientists say.

"Adolescence is about risk-taking, experimentation," says Yasmin Hurd, professor of psychiatry, pharmacology and biological chemistry at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York who published a rat study last summer that found early exposure to THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, led to a greater sensitivity to heroin in adulthood.

"All of the studies clearly show the earlier someone starts taking marijuana, the greater their vulnerability to addiction disorders and psychiatric disorders. I'm so shocked still that so many parents are not considering enough the dangers of early drug use."

Marijuana use by adolescents in the USA declined slightly from 2005 to 2006, but it's still more common than it was 15 years ago, according to "Monitoring the Future," an ongoing study by the University of Michigan that tracks people from the eighth grade through young adulthood. It's paid for by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, or NIDA, part of the National Institutes of Health.

In 2006, 11.7% of eighth-graders said they had used marijuana during the past year, compared with 6.2% of eighth-graders in 1991. Among 12th-graders, 31.5% said they had used marijuana in the previous year; in 1991, 23.9% said they had.

"You are at school, and your main job as an adolescent is to learn and memorize," NIDA director Nora Volkow says. But if you keep becoming intoxicated by smoking marijuana, she says, you'll fall further and further behind in your studies. "How are you going to catch up?"

In a study comparing heavy marijuana users with people who had had minimal exposure to the drug, Pope found that the former had lower verbal IQ scores than the latter. In a 2003 paper, he and his co-authors postulated three potential reasons: innate differences between the groups in cognitive ability that predated first marijuana use, an actual toxic effect of marijuana on the developing brain, or poorer learning of conventional cognitive skills by young marijuana users who skipped school.

By the time Gardner was a junior, he started skipping high school regularly to smoke pot. "I would always find somebody who wasn't at school that day and get high with them," he says. Gardner says he missed 50 days in the first semester of his senior year. His parents discovered his stash of marijuana and sent him to a psychiatrist. His grades plummeted; his college plans evaporated.

When he was 16 or 17, Gardner says, he was charged at least twice with possession of marijuana and underage possession of alcohol. The court sent him to a three-month outpatient treatment program. He attended weekly sessions and underwent urine checks.

But it didn't stick. He celebrated the end of the program by getting high on pot and alcohol. By 18, "I was pretty heavy into cocaine," Gardner says. Crystal meth and intravenous heroin followed.

"I was always looking for the ultimate high. It was like a constant search, and I never found it. … By the end, it was a living hell for me."

Finally, Gardner says, his parents persuaded him to enter an inpatient treatment program in Winchester, Va. They spoke from experience. When he was 8, Gardner says, his father stopped using drugs while in prison for possession. "My mom got clean while he was in prison."

Gardner says he has been off drugs and alcohol for 14 months. He works in a Winchester factory that makes patio decking. He graduated from high school because a teacher took pity on him and let him try to make up the work he had missed. More than six years after graduating, Gardner hopes to go to college to study psychology.

Research shows that marijuana users are significantly less satisfied with the quality of their lives than non-users, a revelation "as telling as any very fancy story of molecules," Volkow says.

Yet, she says, "I think there is a general sense that marijuana is a relatively benign drug and does not produce addiction," although over the past decade, "research clearly has provided unequivocal evidence that … some people can become addicted to marijuana."

Stephens has conducted seven large treatment studies of marijuana dependence, or addiction. "There's never any shortage of people who meet this definition," says Stephens, who edited the 2006 book Cannabis Dependence.

Pope has studied heavy marijuana users, whom he defines as having smoked pot at least 5,000 times, or once a day for nearly 14 years. On average, his subjects, ages 30 to 55, reported having smoked marijuana 20,000 times.

Pope required the volunteers to abstain from smoking pot for 28 days and used urine samples for confirmation.

"We had them rate various symptoms on a day-by-day basis," he says. "We were able to show there is a clear withdrawal syndrome."

His research found that the most common symptom of marijuana withdrawal was irritability, followed by trouble sleeping and loss of appetite. Symptoms began to subside after a week and disappeared by the end of two weeks.

"We've had some people in our study who reported quite a lot of craving. They were quite miserable not being allowed to smoke marijuana," Pope says, although "certainly, one does not see craving even remotely to the degree you would … with heroin or alcohol or cocaine."

Marijuana today is more potent and therefore more toxic than marijuana grown in the 1970s, Volkow says. Back then, she says, plants typically contained only 2% THC. Today, she says, marijuana plants typically contain 15% THC.

Even if today's marijuana is more potent, Stephens says, he's not convinced that makes a difference.

"The evidence of its increased potency is overrated," he says. Samples of marijuana grown in the 1970s might have appeared to be less potent than they actually were because they weren't fresh when tested. And, Stephens speculates, marijuana users might just smoke more of less-potent pot, and vice versa.

Rachel Kinsey says drug addiction runs in her mother's family, although not in her immediate family. Kinsey, 24, started drinking alcohol at 14 and smoking marijuana at 15 — "definitely a predecessor for everything else I used." She began using Ecstasy and cocaine at 17, then heroin at 18.

"I did graduate high school, and I went off to college, but I withdrew after a month," says Kinsey, of Richmond, Va. She used the diagnosis of mononucleosis she had received the week before college as an excuse. "I don't think I was ready for the responsibility, and I wanted to continue to use while I was in college. I was at the point where I just didn't care about college. I was already using heroin."

She moved in with her boyfriend and his father, both of whom used heroin. At 19, she became pregnant. She moved back in with her mother, substituted methadone for heroin and gave the baby up for adoption. Practically as soon as she delivered, she was back on heroin.

About five months after her son was born in May 2003, Kinsey entered inpatient addiction treatment. During the 30-day program, she became involved with a man who went back to using cocaine after ending treatment. Kinsey says she didn't want to go back to using cocaine or heroin, "but for some reason I thought it was OK to drink and go back to smoking weed."

When she turned 21 in fall 2003, "it was off to the races. For some reason, I felt (turning 21) gave me the right to drink if I wanted to."

From January to August 2004, Kinsey says, she was charged three times with driving under the influence of alcohol and marijuana.

With the help of another stay at a treatment center, Kinsey hasn't used drugs or alcohol since Aug. 25, 2004, the day after her last DUI arrest. She's halfway toward graduating from nursing school and works as a nurse tech in a hospital. For the first time, she has signed a lease on an apartment and pays rent.

She can't drive until September 2008 and then only to work, to school and to 12-step meetings.

If she had to do it all over again, she says, she never would have started smoking marijuana.

"You never know where it's going to lead you," she says. "You don't know that you're not going to become an addict, so it's not worth the risk."

Link

No matter which side you take in the debate over whether marijuana is a "gateway" to other illicit drugs, you can't argue with "indisputable data" showing that smoking pot affects neuropsychological functioning, such as hand-eye coordination, reaction time and memory, says H. Westley Clark, director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Yes, you can't argue with the "indisputable data"!

No one ever "disputed" that data:

Neuropsychological consequences of regular marijuana use: a twin study
M. J. LYONS a1c1, J. L. BAR a1, M. S. PANIZZON a1, R. TOOMEY a1, S. EISEN a1, H. XIAN a1 and M. T. TSUANG a1

a1 Department of Psychology, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA; Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry at the Brockton/West Roxbury VA, USA; Harvard Institute of Psychiatric Epidemiology and Genetics, Boston, MA, USA; Research and Medical Service, St. Louis VA, St. Louis, MO, USA; Division of General Medical Sciences, Department of Medicine, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, USA; Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts Mental Health Center, Boston, MA, USA; Harvard School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Boston, MA, USA

Abstract

Background. Results of previous research examining long-term residual effects of marijuana use on cognition are conflicting. A major methodological limitation of prior studies is the inability to determine whether differences between users and non-users are due to differences in genetic vulnerability preceding drug use or due to the effects of the drug.

Method. Fifty-four monozygotic male twin pairs, discordant for regular marijuana use in which neither twin used any other illicit drug regularly, were recruited from the Vietnam Era Twin Registry. A minimum of 1 year had passed since the marijuana-using twins had last used the drug, and a mean of almost 20 years had passed since the last time marijuana had been used regularly. Twins were administered a comprehensive neuropsychological test battery to assess general intelligence, executive functioning, attention, memory and motor skills. Differences in performance between marijuana-using twins and their non-using co-twins were compared using a multivariate analysis of specific cognitive domains and univariate analyses of individual test scores. Dose–response relationships were explored within the marijuana-using group.

Results. Marijuana-using twins significantly differed from their non-using co-twins on the general intelligence domain; however, within that domain only the performance of the block design subtest of the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – Revised reached a level of statistical significance.

Conclusions. Out of the numerous measures that were administered, only one significant difference was noted between marijuana-using twins and their non-using co-twins on cognitive functioning. The results indicate an absence of marked long-term residual effects of marijuana use on cognitive abilities.

Correspondence:
c1 Dr Michael J. Lyons, Psychology Department, Boston University, 64 Cummington Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA. (Email: [email protected])
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=255433

American Journal on Addictions
Publisher: Taylor & Francis
Issue: Volume 14, Number 1 / January–February
Pages: 64 - 72
URL: Linking Options
DOI: 10.1080/10550490590899862

Lack of Hippocampal Volume Change in Long-term Heavy Cannabis Users

Golfo K. Tzilos A1, Christina B. Cintron A1, Jonas B.R. Wood A1, Norah S. Simpson A1, Ashley D. Young A1, Harrison G. Pope A2, Deborah A. Yurgelun-Todd A1

A1 Cognitive Neuroimaging Laboratory, Brain Imaging Center, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Mass
A2 Cognitive Neuroimaging Laboratory, Brain Imaging Center, and the Biological Psychiatry Laboratory, McLean Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Belmont, Mass

Abstract:

The effects of cannabis smoking on the morphology of the hippocampus are still unclear, especially because previous human studies have examined primarily younger, shorter-term users. We used magnetic resonance imaging to investigate these effects in a group of 22 older, long-term cannabis users (reporting a mean [SD] of 20,100 [13,900] lifetime episodes of smoking) and 26 comparison subjects with no history of cannabis abuse or dependence. When compared to control subjects, smokers displayed no significant adjusted differences in volumes of gray matter, white matter, cerebrospinal fluid, or left and right hippocampus. Moreover, hippocampal volume in cannabis users was not associated with age of onset of use nor total lifetime episodes of use. These findings are consistent with recent literature suggesting that cannabis use is not associated with structural changes within the brain as a whole or the hippocampus in particular.
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.c...al,12,42;linkingpublicationresults,1:102425,1

Of course who needs unbiased studies from researches, when you can take the word of a drug treatment industry shill.

Amazing research USA Today!

Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain

Analysis of Studies Finds Little Effect From Long-Term Use
By Sid Kirchheimer
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD
on Tuesday, July 01, 2003

July 1, 2003 -- Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers.

The researchers found only a "very small" impairment in memory and learning among long-term marijuana users. Otherwise, scores on thinking tests were similar to those who don't smoke marijuana, according to a new analysis of 15 previous studies.

In those studies, some 700 regular marijuana users were compared with 484 non-users on various aspects of brain function -- including reaction time, language and motor skills, reasoning ability, memory, and the ability to learn new information.

Surprising Finding

"We were somewhat surprised by our finding, especially since there's been a controversy for some years on whether long-term cannabis use causes brain damage," says lead researcher and psychiatrist Igor Grant, MD.

"I suppose we expected to see some differences in people who were heavy users, but in fact the differences were very minimal."

The marijuana users in those 15 studies -- which lasted between three months to more than 13 years -- had smoked marijuana several times a week or month or daily. Still, researchers say impairments were less than what is typically found from using alcohol or other drugs.

"All study participants were adults," says Grant, professor of psychiatry and director of the Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.

"However, there might be a different set of circumstances to a 12-year-old whose nervous system is still developing."

10 States OK Marijuana Use

Grant's analysis, published in the July issue of the Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, comes as many states consider laws allowing marijuana to be used to treat certain medical conditions. Earlier this year, Maryland became the 10th state to allow marijuana use to relieve pain and other symptoms of AIDS, multiple sclerosis, cancer, glaucoma, and other conditions -- joining Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Medicinal marijuana is available by prescription in the Netherlands and a new marijuana drug is expected to be released in Great Britain later this year. In the U.S. and elsewhere, Marinol, a drug that is a synthetic form of marijuana and contains its active ingredient, THC, is available by prescription to treat loss of appetite associated with weight loss in AIDS patients.

Grant says he did the analysis to help determine long-term toxicity from long-term and frequent marijuana use. His center is currently conducting 11 studies to determine its safety and efficacy in treating several diseases.

"This finding enables us to see a marginal level of safety, if those studies prove that cannabis can be effective," Grant tells WebMD. "If we barely find this effect in long-term heavy users, then we are unlikely to see deleterious side effects in individuals who receive cannabis for a short time in a medical setting, which would be safer than what is practiced by street users."

Grant's findings come as no surprise to Tod Mikuriya, MD, former director of non-classified marijuana research for the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies and author of The Marijuana Medical Handbook: A Guide to Therapeutic Use. He is currently president of the California Cannabis Medical Group, which has treated some 20,000 patients with medicinal marijuana and Marinol.

'Highly Effective Medicine'

"I just re-published a paper of the first survey for marijuana toxicity done in 1863 by the British government in India that was the most exhaustive medical study of its time in regards to possible difficulties and toxicity of cannabis. And it reached the same conclusion as Grant," Mikuriya tells WebMD.

"This is merely confirming what was known over 100 years ago, as well as what was learned by various government findings doing similar research -- marijuana is not toxic, but it is a highly effective medicine."

In fact, marijuana was available as a medicinal treatment in the U.S. until the 1930s.

Lester Grinspoon, MD, a retired Harvard Medical School psychiatrist who studied medicinal marijuana use since the 1960s and wrote two books on the topic, says that while Grant's finding provides more evidence on its safety, "it's nothing that those of us who have been studying this haven't known for a very long time.

"Marijuana is a remarkably safe and non-toxic drug that can effectively treat about 30 different conditions," he tells WebMD. "I predict it will become the aspirin of the 21st century, as more people recognize this."

SOURCES: The Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, July 2003. Igor Grant, MD, professor of psychiatry, University of California, San Diego School of Medicine; director, UCSD Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research Center. Tod Mikuriya, MD, president, the California Cannabis Research Medical Group, Oakland; former director of non-classified marijuana research, the National Institute of Mental Health Center for Narcotics and Drug Abuse Studies. Lester Grinspoon, MD, professor emeritus of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston; author, Marijuana: The Forbidden Medicine and Marihuana Reconsidered.
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/70/80972.htm

Brain damage risks
e-mail story | print story
AMA report on alcohol's adverse effects on the brains of children, adolescents and college students

What is the summary report?
Harmful Consequences of Alcohol Use on the Brains of Children, Adolescents, and College Students (PDF, 69KB) is a compilation and summary of two decades of comprehensive research on how alcohol affects the brains of youth. The report's aggregation of extensive scientific and medical information reveals just how harmful drinking is to the developing brain and serves as a wakeup call to parents, physicians, elected officials, law enforcement, purveyors of alcohol – including the alcohol industry – and young drinkers themselves.

Why is this report important?
The average age of a child's first drink is now 12, and nearly 20 percent of 12 to 20 year-olds are considered binge drinkers. While many believe that underage drinking is an inevitable "rite of passage" that adolescents can easily recover from because their bodies are more resilient, the opposite is true.

The adolescent brain
The brain goes through dynamic change during adolescence, and alcohol can seriously damage long- and short-term growth processes. Frontal lobe development and the refinement of pathways and connections continue until age 16, and a high rate of energy is used as the brain matures until age 20. Damage from alcohol at this time can be long-term and irreversible. In addition, short-term or moderate drinking impairs learning and memory far more in youth than adults. Adolescents need only drink half as much to suffer the same negative effects.

Drinkers vs. non-drinkers: research findings

* Adolescent drinkers scored worse than non-users on vocabulary, general information, memory, memory retrieval and at least three other tests
* Verbal and nonverbal information recall was most heavily affected, with a 10 percent performance decrease in alcohol users
* Significant neuropsychological deficits exist in early to middle adolescents (ages 15 and 16) with histories of extensive alcohol use
* Adolescent drinkers perform worse in school, are more likely to fall behind and have an increased risk of social problems, depression, suicidal thoughts and violence
* Alcohol affects the sleep cycle, resulting in impaired learning and memory as well as disrupted release of hormones necessary for growth and maturation
* Alcohol use increases risk of stroke among young drinkers

Adverse effects of alcohol on the brain: research findings
Youth who drink can have a significant reduction in learning and memory, and teen alcohol users are most susceptible to damaging two key brain areas that are undergoing dramatic changes in adolescence:

* The hippocampus handles many types of memory and learning and suffers from the worst alcohol-related brain damage in teens. Those who had been drinking more and for longer had significantly smaller hippocampi (10 percent).
* The prefrontal area (behind the forehead) undergoes the most change during adolescence. Researchers found that adolescent drinking could cause severe changes in this area and others, which play an important role in forming adult personality and behavior and is often called the CEO of the brain.

Lasting implications
Compared to students who drink moderately or not at all, frequent drinkers may never be able to catch up in adulthood, since alcohol inhibits systems crucial for storing new information as long-term memories and makes it difficult to immediately remember what was just learned.

Additionally, those who binge once a week or increase their drinking from age 18 to 24 may have problems attaining the goals of young adulthood—marriage, educational attainment, employment, and financial independence. And rather than "outgrowing" alcohol use, young abusers are significantly more likely to have drinking problems as adults.

What can be done to stop this epidemic?
The AMA advocates numerous ways to combat this growing epidemic, including:

* Reducing access to alcohol for children and youth
* Reducing sales and provision of alcohol to children and youth
* Increasing enforcement of underage drinking laws
* Providing more education about the harmful effects of alcohol abuse
* Reducing the demand for alcohol and the normalization of alcohol use by children and youth

A major source of the normalization of alcohol use by children and youth is alcohol advertising. Television networks and cable stations have profited tremendously from the alcohol industry's aggressive marketing to underage drinkers. These ads are proven to heavily influence the normalization and glamorization of drinking in the minds of children, and television has continued to endanger the health of these young viewers in spite of such findings.

With these new findings of the adverse effects of alcohol on the brain of children and adolescents, the AMA calls on cable TV and the TV networks to pledge not to run alcohol ads targeted at underage youth. This means no alcohol ads before 10 p.m., none on shows with 15 percent or more underage viewers and no commercials with cartoons, mascots or other youth-focused images.

What can I do?
Please visit our Web site to learn 10 things you can do to combat underage drinking as well as to send an e-mail or a fax to the TV networks and cable TV about your concerns about advertising alcohol to youth.
Last updated: Feb 02, 2007
Content provided by: Alcohol & Drug Abuse
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9416.html

Sure, Cannabis is not safer than alcohol at all, they are both equally damaging...

Just look at some of the quotes and ideas stated in this article. This is the mainstream press! When we question the stubborn ignorance of our society on their view on drugs, we have to look no further than the media. Reading through many articles a day, I see blatant errors, but this piece takes it to a new level. Its as if it was deliberately misleading.

"But studies have shown that when regular pot smokers quit, they do experience withdrawal symptoms, a characteristic used to predict addictiveness."

"early exposure to THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, led to a greater sensitivity to heroin in adulthood."

"In a 2003 paper, he and his co-authors postulated three potential reasons: innate differences between the groups in cognitive ability that predated first marijuana use, an actual toxic effect of marijuana on the developing brain"

"She moved in with her boyfriend and his father, both of whom used heroin. At 19, she became pregnant. She moved back in with her mother, substituted methadone for heroin and gave the baby up for adoption. Practically as soon as she delivered, she was back on heroin."

I think the UK musician "The Streets" shows just how insane this line of thought is in his song "The Irony Of It All".

If you never heard it, please download the MP3, and watch the video on youtube.

The Streets - The Irony Of It All Lyrics

Hello, Hello. My names Terry and I'm a law abider

There's nothing I like more than getting fired up on beer

And when the weekends here I like to exercise my right to get
paralytic and fight

Good bloke fairly

But I get well lairy when geezers look at me funny

Bounce 'em round like bunnies

I'm likely to cause mischief

Good clean grief you must believe and I ain't no thief.

Law abiding and all, all legal.

And who cares about my liver when it feels good

What you need is some real manhood.

Rasher Rasher Barney and Kasha putting peoples backs up.

Public disorder, I'll give you public disorder.

I down eight pints and run all over the place

Spit in the face of an officer

See if that bothers you cause I never broke a law in my life

Someday I'm gonna settle down with a wife

Come on lads lets have another fight

Eh hello. My names Tim and I'm a criminal,

In the eyes of society I need to be in jail

For the choice of herbs I inhale.

This ain't no wholesale operation

Just a few eighths and some Playstation's my vocation

I pose a threat to the nation

And down at the station the police hold no patience

Let's talk space and time

I like to get deep sometimes and think about Einstein

And Carl Jung And old Kung Fu movies I like to see

Pass the hydrator please

Yeah I'm floating on thin air.

Going to Amsterdam in the New Year - top gear there

Cause I take pride in my hobby

Home made bongs using my engineering degree

Dear Leaders, please legalize weed for these reasons.

Like I was saying to him.

I told him: "Top with me and you won't leave."

So I smacked him in the head and downed another Carling

Bada Bada Bing for the lad's night.

Mad fight, his face's a sad sight.

Vodka and Snake Bite.

Going on like a right geez, he's a twat,

Shouldn't have looked at me like that.

Anyway I'm an upstanding citizen

If a war came along I'd be on the front line with em.

Can't stand crime either them hooligans on heroin.

Drugs and criminals those thugs on the penny coloured will be
the downfall of society

I've got all the anger pent up inside of me.

You know I don't see why I should be the criminal

How can something with no recorded fatalities be illegal

And how many deaths are there per year from alcohol

I just completed Gran Tourismo on the hardest setting

We pose no threat on my settee

Ooh the pizza's here will someone let him in please

"We didn't order chicken, Not a problem we'll pick it out"

I doubt they meant to mess us about

After all we're all adults not louts.

As I was saying, we're friendly peaceful people

We're not the ones out there causing trouble.

We just sit in this hazy bubble with our quarters

Discussing how beautiful Gail Porter is.

MTV, BBC 2, Channel 4 is on until six in the morning.

Then at six in the morning the sun dawns and it's my bedtime.

Causing trouble, your stinking rabble

Boys saying I'm the lad who's spoiling it

You're on drugs it really bugs me when people try and tell me
I'm a thug

Just for getting drunk

I like getting drunk

Cause I'm an upstanding citizen

If a war came along I'd be on the front line with em.

Now Terry you're repeating yourself

But that's okay drunk people can't help that.

A chemical reaction happening inside your brain causes you to
forget what you're saying.

What. I know exactly what I'm saying

I'm perfectly sane

You stinking student lamo

Go get a job and stop robbing us of our taxes.

Err, well actually according to research

Government funding for further education pales in
insignificance

When compared to how much they spend on repairing

Leery drunk people at the weekend

In casualty wards all over the land.

Why you cheeky little swine come here

I'm gonna batter you. Come here.

Music Video

Last edited:
i think marijuana only becomes "negative" to a user is based on how he uses the drug and why. ive seen so many people smoke it everyday and truly abuse it. I think after people get used to it and see how mild it is they forgot the fact it is a drug that works by altering chemical processes in the body- like every other drug. And when you do a drug that is even mild, but havee such a high frequency of use the effects are compunded in a way that they have an exponentially more powerful impact on the body.

comparing this example to alcohol. drinking once in a while for social occasions isnt gonna harm your body much. but start abusing it and it can be deadly actually.

Drugs always depend on the person that uses them. there may be patterns of use where people move from marijuana to harder drugs but this is a complex issues. Drug use can be a symptom of some psychological issues. Including depression, lack of self esteem and many many more psychological circumstances that will motivate people to use drugs. I hate articles like this. Human behavoir is so complex that it is a result of many envorinmental, biological, genetic, personality, learned influences. Using marijuana is no different.

Last edited:
Yay for misinformation!!

Research shows that marijuana users are significantly less satisfied with the quality of their lives than non-users, a revelation "as telling as any very fancy story of molecules," Volkow says.

Check out this common misinterpretation. What the data really tells us is this:

Research shows that non-users of marijuana have an illusionary happiness and therefore have the false sense of being more satisfied with life than users of the drug.

Last edited:
If you can even believe that "research", that is not even linked in the article, the name of the study not even given, and the person making the claims having an obvious agenda.

"Research shows rabid giant purple donkeys live inside my shoes at night" lurkerguy says.

Totally meaningless.

Last edited:
"I believe it is very addictive, especially for people with addictive personalities."
Wow addictive substances are addictive to people with addictive personalities.
Who would have though?

Along the same lines as "Cannabis is very likely to bring out mental illness, especially in mentally ill people." 8(

Bleh. Reminds me of the "Reader's Digest" articles from 20 years ago.
USA Today=Corporate Media. The articles then had titles Like Marijuana Alert I, II, III, IV, etc. "Potheads lead miserable lives". Parents today seem to be very paranoid about pot use- even drug testing their kids. Propaganda hasn't changed much.

Millions of baby boomers might disagree. After all, they smoked marijuana — the country's most popular illicit drug — in their youth and quit with little effort.

So although they think they quite with little effort, they actually didn't. This article says so!! 8)

But studies have shown that when regular pot smokers quit, they do experience withdrawal symptoms, a characteristic used to predict addictiveness. Most users of more addictive drugs, such as cocaine or heroin, started with marijuana, scientists say, and the earlier they started, the greater their risk of becoming addicted.

Suddenly stopping Caffiene use and Alcohol addiction can produces withdrawal symptoms.

Many studies have documented a link between smoking marijuana and the later use of "harder" drugs such as heroin and cocaine, but that doesn't necessarily mean marijuana causes addiction to harder drugs.

IMO Alcohol and Cigarettes are more likely gateway drugs than Cannabis.

I stopped reading, these kind of articles make me feel sick.

I read this fucking article at school, as they have to give this shitty rag away. It pisses me off that so many people who actually bother to read have to put up with shit like this.

lurkerguy said:
Yes, you can't argue with the "indisputable data"!

No one ever "disputed" that data:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=255433

http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.c...al,12,42;linkingpublicationresults,1:102425,1

Of course who needs unbiased studies from researches, when you can take the word of a drug treatment industry shill.

Amazing research USA Today!

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/70/80972.htm

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9416.html

Sure, Cannabis is not safer than alcohol at all, they are both equally damaging...

wow, the quote you were responding to:

"No matter which side you take in the debate over whether marijuana is a "gateway" to other illicit drugs, you can't argue with "indisputable data" showing that smoking pot affects neuropsychological functioning, such as hand-eye coordination, reaction time and memory, says H. Westley Clark, director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
"

anyone who denies that marijuana affects things such as hand-eye coordination, reaction time and memory has obviously never smoked the stuff. the quote in question was obviously referring to the affects of being intoxicated on marijuana. you just wasted an entire page posting irrelevant information about the long term affects of marijuana

My favorite part

n4k33n said:
He liked what it felt like, and by age 15, he was smoking pot every week. He supported his habit with the money his parents gave him for getting straight A's on his report card. They didn't have a clue.

"You are at school, and your main job as an adolescent is to learn and memorize," NIDA director Nora Volkow says. But if you keep becoming intoxicated by smoking marijuana, she says, you'll fall further and further behind in your studies. "How are you going to catch up?"

He fell real far behind didn't he?

how the hell did his parents not realize that he missed 50 days during his first semester. Thats bad parenting, and a bad job on the schools part. At my school if you skip more then 10 days you automatically fail so i cant believe that the school never called home or anything

burn out said:
wow, the quote you were responding to:

"No matter which side you take in the debate over whether marijuana is a "gateway" to other illicit drugs, you can't argue with "indisputable data" showing that smoking pot affects neuropsychological functioning, such as hand-eye coordination, reaction time and memory, says H. Westley Clark, director of the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment at the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
"

anyone who denies that marijuana affects things such as hand-eye coordination, reaction time and memory has obviously never smoked the stuff. the quote in question was obviously referring to the affects of being intoxicated on marijuana. you just wasted an entire page posting irrelevant information about the long term affects of marijuana
You just missed the entire point. He was saying that the article implies long-term effects that they never substantiate. Of course marijuana fucks you up when you smoke it. However, this does nothing to distinguish its negative consequences from those of alcohol or any other commonly used drug. All the article did was try to put in as many negative words and phrases as possible to make marijuana sound scary and bad.

This isn't to say that marijuana isn't bad for your brain. Of course it is, and it is worse for young users whose brains are still developing, but replace "marijuana" with "alcohol" in the article and the whole thing practically still holds true!

This article was actually pretty even handed and even says clearly the same thing that's been repeated over and over in Cannabis Discussion: You can be physically addicted to pot, though the withdrawal symptoms are not nearly as bad as drugs such as benzos or opiates

IMO Alcohol and Cigarettes are more likely gateway drugs than Cannabis.

I stopped reading, these kind of articles make me feel sick.

you should have kept reading.. they got someone to discredit the gateway drug stuff..
"Is marijuana a gateway drug? That question has been debated since the time I was in college in the 1960s and is still being debated today," says Harvard University psychiatrist Harrison Pope, director of the Biological Psychiatry Laboratory at Boston's McLean Hospital. "There's just no way scientifically to end that argument one way or the other."

DARE was my gateway, all the drugs we learned about sounded fun as hell:)

t3h p1ur m0nst4r said:
You just missed the entire point. He was saying that the article implies long-term effects that they never substantiate. Of course marijuana fucks you up when you smoke it. However, this does nothing to distinguish its negative consequences from those of alcohol or any other commonly used drug. All the article did was try to put in as many negative words and phrases as possible to make marijuana sound scary and bad.

This isn't to say that marijuana isn't bad for your brain. Of course it is, and it is worse for young users whose brains are still developing, but replace "marijuana" with "alcohol" in the article and the whole thing practically still holds true!

i think you missed the entire point. the article was arguing against the common misconception that some people have that marijuana is much safer than alcohol and tobacco. for example, when i was a teenager my mom didn't want me smoking cigarettes (which i didn't end up doing by the way) because she felt it was bad but when she found out i smoked weed, she was sort of ok with it because she thought weed was lesser evil. it turned out weed fucked me up way worse than cigarettes ever could have in such a short period of time. so the title of the article holds true, "marijuana may not be the lesser evil". for some people it is but for other people marijuana is worse than alcohol or cigarettes.

burn out said:
it turned out weed fucked me up way worse than cigarettes ever could have in such a short period of time.

don't blame weed for your problems you lazy fuck. i've been smoking since i was young and i have a very nice life and have no body problems except the cuts i get from working on cars. =D

and marijuana is safer than alcohol HANDS DOWN!!! you can't argue with the facts when they are right there in front of your face. hmmmm...how many people have died as a result of just smoking pot? none! how many have died from drinking? well i don't have enough fingers or toes, do i? :\