• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana Dealers Offer Schwarzenegger One Billion Dollars

mr_mojo said:
Fuck all if it was regulated, unless artificial price controls were put on it (ie: tax/duties).

It's like cocaine; a multi-billion dollar industry. Yet in reality if it was legal then it'd probably cost similar to sugar, if not less on a per-weight basis - the processing is very simple if you have the right chemicals and the plant itself will grow anywhere.

I don't understand how this 'let us pay taxes' would work? Would it just involve randomly mailing a check off to the government, indicting you of federal level crimes? Would the IRS come round and do checks to make sure that you're not lying?

You would buy it at head shops, and it would have little "tax paid" stickers on the bottom like cigarettes do. Growing weed in your own house would end up being as popular as using hand-rolled cigarettes.

If weed was legalized, it would really test the stereotype of smokers being lazy. Many entrepenuring growers could become millionaires overnight.

bongzilla420 said:
i disagree with nightfun, i think if anything marijuana potency would increase with legalization because there wouldn.t be mexi dirt being grown and sold for high prices, legalization would introduce more opportunities to use state of the art indoor growing techniques and there would be huge amounts of kush, purple, all kinds of very dank strands for very cheap prices.......yay!

i dont know if price would change very much, it didnt in denver when it was legalized

^I think you mean "decriminalized", its not legal to grow and sell marjuana in Denver its just a fine instead of an arrest. And you could still be arrested and put on trial by state or federal law enforcement no matter what a city decides.

And do you really think the state would license convicted criminals to grow a few plants in their basement? LOL look at the requirements to get a license to brew or serve alcohol, you have to be squeeky clean and I bet most growers have some minor spots on their records. Also the government is most likely only going to license large corporations with farms to do the growing, as they can guarantee security and proper oversight.

Until just a few years ago with the home brewing craze for wine and beer the ATF harassed people brewing a little beer or wine at home, if you bought any kind of distilling equipment from a catalog or even things that could be used as a still you had a good chance of getting a ATF agent knocking on your door.
They were very humorless about the whole thing, lately they don't seem to care anymore as home brewing and distilling are taking off in popularity.
I think is weed becomes taxed home growers are still going to be harassed and seen as tax evaders.

garuda said:
They didn't obviously, this is just a publicity stunt to highlight the amount of tax money legal marijuana would bring in.

I wonder if it exceeds the amount of federal DEA money and asset forfeitures in the state along with criminal fines and probabtion fees.

The so called "sin taxes" on alcohol and tobacco are getting so high I'm surprised a grey market hasn't developed already, and drugs are demonized to begin with so who knows what would happen if this idea ever came to pass.

There is a 'grey market' with cigarettes. I know a guy who sells packs for $5 at work, which is well under the $8.50 you would pay at 7/11 or wherever else. It all depends on where you live and what prices are like.

this story reminds me of the time pablo escobar and crew offered to pay off colombia's multi billion dollar national debt. both brazen statements, but i think the california folks are a bit more mild mannered though.

garuda said:
^I think you mean "decriminalized", its not legal to grow and sell marjuana in Denver its just a fine instead of an arrest. And you could still be arrested and put on trial by state or federal law enforcement no matter what a city decides.

And do you really think the state would license convicted criminals to grow a few plants in their basement? LOL look at the requirements to get a license to brew or serve alcohol, you have to be squeeky clean and I bet most growers have some minor spots on their records. Also the government is most likely only going to license large corporations with farms to do the growing, as they can guarantee security and proper oversight.

actually im pretty sure (not positive) that "possesion" was legalized, not decriminalized. definatly doesnt cover sales or growth though. that is from a bluelight front page article i believe

the point being is that if that is the market value, then why would any one change price? just because a larger corporation does the growing doesn't mean that its going to be cheaper

drklnk said:
There is a 'grey market' with cigarettes. I know a guy who sells packs for $5 at work, which is well under the $8.50 you would pay at 7/11 or wherever else. It all depends on where you live and what prices are like.

That's not a gray market, that's a black market.

(From m-w.com:
Main Entry: gray market
Function: noun
: a market employing irregular but not illegal methods; especially : a market that legally circumvents authorized channels of distribution to sell goods at prices lower than those intended by the manufacturer

Main Entry: black market
: illicit trade in goods or commodities in violation of official regulations; also : a place where such trade is carried on)

Reading articles like this get me really amped up, but frustrated at the same time. The author uses the phrase "economic lunacy" to describe the drug war. This is correct, but that lunacy isn't going to cease any time soon. With every generation, fewer and fewer truly conservative dickheads are born and raised, but they always manage to breed enough to conserve the dickhead drug laws. I'll believe in America when a large group of federal legislators are pushing forth the legalization agenda.

For now, I am too cynical to get my hopes up. If the federal govt sees one state thriving with legalization or decriminalization, they will react most unnaturally and senselessly by sending in the army or FBI.

300,000,000 citizens of the united states...
minimum 10% smoking 1g per week...
= 30,000,000g's per week
= 30,000 tons per week
= 1,560,000 tons per year
@ $1 per gram sale price
= $1.56b
@ 35% luxury tax
= $546,000 government tax dollars added to the budget.

now lets take a glimpse closer to reality

minimum 15% smoking 1g per day...
= 315,000,000g's per week
= 315,000 tons per week
= 16,380,000 tons per year
@ $1 per gram sale price
= $16.38b
@ 35% luxury tax
= $5.733b government tax dollars added to the budget.
++ the non regular users...

or even closer

minimum 15% smoking 1g per day...
= 315,000,000g's per week
= 315,000 tons per week
= 16,380,000 tons per year
@ $10 per gram sale price
= $163.8b
@ 45% luxury tax
= $73.71b government tax dollars added to the budget.
++ the non regular users...

EDIT : damnit, my apologies... sorry fellow smokers i have let you down in my stoned state.
the stats would be something more like population(2% @ 1g per day + 10% @ 1g per week) @ $1 per gram sale price @ 35% luxury tax = something closer to $8 billion
but yeh that the generous way still...

FINAL EDIT: I guess maybe it doesn't really cover the cost of the war against marijuana so... yeh... there's problems there... somehow...

Last edited:
clamjuice said:
It is also the #1 crop in Canada. It far surpases any amount made in wheat or corn or anything. It only makes sense to invest in it. I mean if its raking in substantially more money than any LEGAL crop, imagine how much it would be worth if it was regulated.

Im still gonna bet that he wont take it.
if it was regulated, the prices would drop substantially, and it wouldn't be as profitable

Johnny1 said:
That's not a gray market, that's a black market.

(From m-w.com:
Main Entry: gray market
: a market employing irregular but not illegal methods; especially : a market that legally circumvents authorized channels of distribution to sell goods at prices lower than those intended by the manufacturer

Main Entry: black market
: illicit trade in goods or commodities in violation of official regulations; also : a place where such trade is carried on)

Here in NY there sort of is a gray market.but sorta black. Buy the cigarettes on the indian reservation with no duties for 20 a carton.. which is entirely legal, and resell for 4 a pack. You are legally circumventing a channel of distribution. Could be deemed tax evasion but its not really an issue of concern unless they stumble upon it. Even then you prolly wouldnt get charged.

As gray as you can get basically.

$1/gram? Yeah right man.

If you haven't noticed, marijuana's price isn't based on its illegality. Where it's legal (Amsterdam, or CA dispensaries, etc.) it's just as expensive if not more expensive than it is on the street. I'm sure in a completely legalized setting, marijuana would still be $10/gram.

The DEA says that you cant tax a mexican cartel, but If Marijuana can be legalized those cartels can be taken out by importation laws and domestic growers, who would most definatley spring up every where. Also, why wouldnt this put an end to all the violence associated with illegal marijuana trafficking?

why couldnt you tax a mexican cartel? once legalities are changed then they would be a legal business wouldn't they?

lol @ the suggestion that mexican cartels play anything but a very minor role in american marijuana production. it's all about local business.

oh yes please steal more of our money and give it to other people we just can't have enough taxes. PLEASE tax our drugs and medicine. real good idea 8(
or maybe they could just try spending within their means.

^^you know what they say about death and taxes right...

It would be a lot better than the current system of police oppression, plus growing your own would be a snap for anyone with a yard or balcony.

wow for governing bodies in our country to deny something this, will be blatantly doing something WRONG in the annals of history. they cant really hide behind some completely twisted and distorted mask of justice anymore, this is clearly a legit solution to a legit problem, and turning away is just childish and stubborn.

it will probably be legalized for tax reasons but its so easy to grow, that im willing to bet a huge black market would erupt in response to what would be huge tax levies

this still happens with moonshine distilleries

so people are still going to be arrested