Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Marijuana Australiana Documentary

Ashley

Bluelight Crew
Marijuana Australiana Documentary

Many preconceptions about cannabis are based on the decades old doctrine of the War on Drugs and reconsideration of this paradigm is currently the subject of global debate. Many esteemed, high profile public figures (some of whom feature in the doco) have come out in calling for an end to this expensive, destructive and wasteful failure of policy and ideology.

In Australia, cannabis law reform is slowly becoming part of the public discourse with NSW recently holding a parliamentary inquiry into the medical use of the drug. Marijuana Australiana charts these developments while also documenting the untold and surprisingly rich history of cannabis in Australia. The film takes us right back to era of Joseph Banks and also documents the role of cannabis in the emergence of Australia's first counter culture movements.

Thought ya'll might be interested, I presume this hasn't already been posted. :)

A. <3

Fantastic! Thanks for posting Ash :)

Checkout the crowdfunding page on pozible if anyone can spare a couple of bucks. Looks like a very high quality and important production.

Are we allowed to post these kind of links now?

I am not trying to be rude if this is now allowed under the BLUA we could be crowdfunding much better projects than this IMO. And that is coming from a person with a lot of experience with Cannabis who would genuinely love to see something like the aforementioned project realised.

MAPS, PRISM, EGA etc would be my personal preferences.

The ad at the top of the page links to kickstarter. I wasn't aware that MAPS, PRISM or EGA use crowdfunding, can you link me in PM if you don't want to post?

The ad at the top of the page links to kickstarter. I wasn't aware that MAPS, PRISM or EGA use crowdfunding, can you link me in PM if you don't want to post?

Cool. I didn't realise the rules about posting links had changed. That means we could have helped Ben Lee in getting Ayahuasca: Welcome to the Work made!

I am not aware of whether the organisations we mentioned use crowdfunding either. I just personally feel that there are potentially better areas to send money too in my opinion. I do support the making of this film and truly hope it gets made.

The documentary maker has just joined up on one of the other forums. If they are reading this please feel free to join up here as well.

The film maker mentions that some rather large Mullumbimby Madness Sativas are featured in the preview clip. That should garner some more interest here :)

Nice work bmf. Welcome to Bluelight and thanks for joining.

You may be the first film maker that we have had here that wanted to identify themselves. Keep up the good work.

Hey bmf, great to see you post on here =)

Can I ask how far away you think Australia is from some form of drug law reform? I expect you spoke to politicians as well as users/enthusiasts/growers etc.
Did you see any positive trends from politicians you spoke to? Or were most still adamant that drugs are bad mmmkay? If you don't wanna give anything away that's fine too, but if you stick around bluelight I think you would find there is a wealth of knowledge on this site and we could help each other to get the best result from your documentary =)

All of us here admire what you're doing, keep up the good work and can't wait to see the film once it's finished.

Last edited:
yeah same, It'd be a shame if the doco had been cancelled, especially seeing they raised 25k from supporters of it

I have been wondering when this would come out as well, since this thread got posted I reckon there has been at least 3 occasions where it popped into my head for some reason and I went looking to see if it had been finished yet. You wouldn't think it would take this long to make a documentary about weed, they seem to crank them out overseas (particularly the US) incredibly fast.

Obviously I am not suggesting they should of rushed the project, but it is concerning to me that I am also getting the blank white screen when attempting to follow the link. I seriously hope this wasn't one big scam and they acquired 25K worth of donations and split, I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt but I am not sure what else to think at this point. It would really suck if we inadvertently promoted something here that ended up scamming Australians with an interest in cannabis out of 25 thousand dollars!

If anyone who is affiliated with this project is reading this it would be great to get an update on how near this project is to completion, or even just a confirmation it is still coming out.

With recent media attention towards cannabis being used medicinally in this Country I think a good, informative pro cannabis documentary could really help sway public opinion a little bit more on our side of this issue.

Last edited:
I dunno, it seems like an elaborate way to scam 25k. I'm not ruling it out, but seeing they had a trailer which showed which I assume was from interviews they had done with people. Seems to me that it would be unlikely. But the question does remain, what the fuck happened to it?

Seems bmf changed his comments to blank in April. Perhaps there was some legal boundaries being crossed which stopped/halted the documentary being made, seems like it would be blatant censorship to me but I wouldn't entirely rule that out. Precedence being Underbelly which couldn't be aired in Melbourne for years because of fear the jury might alter there view by watching a show based around real events. I know this is different because it's a documentary but perhaps something like that is plausible?

^ The reason they couldn't air Underbelly in Melbourne I thought was that people were still on trial who the show portrayed as being guilty of crimes they were charged with. When (I believe it was only a limited amount of episodes) did eventually air I seem to recall they never mentioned Tony Mokbel's name and that is why they did the whole Mokbel and Co one this year, I could be wrong though.

I don't think making a trailer where you show a few people growing and smoking choof is that elaborate if it were a scam, it isn't like the supposed makers could not of convinced a handful of growers or so that they were legit and got enough footage to make a trailer, they could even be cannabis growers themselves who had more interest in a quick buck than making an informative documentary. They also could not of been aware they would only receive $25k in donations, they may have believed they would generate a lot more than that.

I am not even saying I think that this is/was a scam, it is just hard not to be a little suspicious though, when someone receives a considerable sum of money to do something then just up and disappears and there are no sign the project is going to continue you can hardly rule out the possibility that it was a rort. I should point out though that I have very little facts in front of me, and am actually taking your word TS14 that they received these donations in the first place, I am by no means trying to make the accusation that those responsible for the Marijuana Australiana trailer have scammed Aussie stoners of $25K, just that if some claims in this thread are true it is looking like a possibility.

Like yourself I would really like to know what happened, I genuinely have been looking forward to the release of this documentary, and given a few things that have happened in the last week or so I think more Australians may be receptive to the message of a pro cannabis documentary.

It is always possible they encountered some kind of legal troubles during the making of this documentary, both directly related to the shooting of the doco or just by chance, given the likely interests of those who were making it. Part of me is doubtful about this though, as it seems to me it would be easy enough to post some kind of update that this is the case as opposed to taking it all down. Also, I kind of feel like if someone or a group of people got busted while trying to make a documentary of this nature that would likely be news worthy to some extent, and we probably would of heard about it.

Last edited:
Yeah it definitely got the funding, when their page was still up it had a counter with the donations which did reach just over 25k. And if it was a scam they'd be no reason to display this once it had reached the target.