• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana and hallucinogen use, binge drinking reached historic highs among adults 35 to 50

RUC4

Bluelighter

Marijuana and hallucinogen use, binge drinking reached historic highs among adults 35 to 50

National Institute on Drug Abuse
17 August 2023

Excerpts:

NIH-funded study also shows younger adults reported marijuana, vaping, and hallucinogen use at or near historically high levels
Past-year use of marijuana and hallucinogens by adults 35 to 50 years old continued a long-term upward trajectory to reach all-time highs in 2022, according to the Monitoring the Future (MTF) panel study, an annual survey of substance use behaviors and attitudes of adults 19 to 60 years old.
Among younger adults aged 19 to 30, reports of past-year marijuana and hallucinogen use as well as marijuana and nicotine vaping significantly increased in the past five years, with marijuana use and vaping at their highest historic levels for this age group in 2022.
While binge drinking has generally declined for the past 10 years among younger adults, adults aged 35 to 50 in 2022 reported the highest prevalence of binge drinking ever recorded for this age group, which also represents a significant past-year, five-year, and 10-year increase.

TLDR?

Summary-
The Monitoring the Future (MTF) panel study for 2022 reveals a continued increase in marijuana and hallucinogen use among adults aged 35 to 50, reaching all-time highs. Younger adults (19-30) also reported significant growth in past-year use of these substances and in vaping, with marijuana use and vaping reaching historic levels. The study, conducted by the University of Michigan and funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), shows a decline in binge drinking among younger adults, but adults aged 35 to 50 reported the highest prevalence of binge drinking ever recorded for that age group.

Key findings include:
- Marijuana Use: The highest levels ever reported for adults 19-30 (44% in 2022) and 35-50 (28% in 2022).
- Vaping: 21% of adults 19-30 reported marijuana vaping, and 24% nicotine vaping in 2022; 9% marijuana and 7% nicotine vaping for adults 35-50.
- Hallucinogen Use: Increased among both age groups, reaching historically high prevalence.
- Alcohol Use: Downward trend for younger adults, but increased among those 35 to 50, with binge drinking at its highest levels (29% in 2022).

The report also showed a 10-year decline in use of cigarettes, sedatives, and non-medical opioids for both age groups, and a decrease in amphetamine use among 19- to 30-year-olds, but an increase among those 35 to 50. The study emphasizes the importance of tracking drug use trends for public health professionals to respond adequately. Results from related studies of teens and additional data will be released later.

Well... I'm fine with people smoking pot, taking hallucinogens and drinking. What i'd like to see is Fentanyl taken off the streets. That should be the main priority.

For those of us over 50, even a 4-pack of Guinness results in a terrible hangover so alcohol is more or less out.

Cannabis, for me, simply produces anxiety so that's also out.

OK mushrooms I haven't had in decades but LSD once every few years doesn't appear to be harmful.

TLDR?

Summary-
The Monitoring the Future (MTF) panel study for 2022 reveals a continued increase in marijuana and hallucinogen use among adults aged 35 to 50, reaching all-time highs. Younger adults (19-30) also reported significant growth in past-year use of these substances and in vaping, with marijuana use and vaping reaching historic levels. The study, conducted by the University of Michigan and funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), shows a decline in binge drinking among younger adults, but adults aged 35 to 50 reported the highest prevalence of binge drinking ever recorded for that age group.

Key findings include:
- Marijuana Use: The highest levels ever reported for adults 19-30 (44% in 2022) and 35-50 (28% in 2022).
- Vaping: 21% of adults 19-30 reported marijuana vaping, and 24% nicotine vaping in 2022; 9% marijuana and 7% nicotine vaping for adults 35-50.
- Hallucinogen Use: Increased among both age groups, reaching historically high prevalence.
- Alcohol Use: Downward trend for younger adults, but increased among those 35 to 50, with binge drinking at its highest levels (29% in 2022).

The report also showed a 10-year decline in use of cigarettes, sedatives, and non-medical opioids for both age groups, and a decrease in amphetamine use among 19- to 30-year-olds, but an increase among those 35 to 50. The study emphasizes the importance of tracking drug use trends for public health professionals to respond adequately. Results from related studies of teens and additional data will be released later.
So, what is your opinion on this?

For those of us over 50, even a 4-pack of Guinness results in a terrible hangover so alcohol is more or less out.

Cannabis, for me, simply produces anxiety so that's also out.

OK mushrooms I haven't had in decades but LSD once every few years doesn't appear to be harmful.
I know what you mean. I'm 42 and I can't drink like I used to. Nowadays I get the worst freaking hangovers after getting drunk. I wish I could drink like I was when I was in my 20s.

35-50 is drinking more as they see the facade of the American dream fading before their eyes. Younger adults didn’t grow up with the same delusions.

-GC
Exactly. Gen X is the first generation after baby boomers where the American Dream started to sharply decline.

Plus, I'm not sure what the trend graph timeline covers, but drinking and drugs went up for all ages during covid years ...