• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

MAL - 38 mg - Moderately experienced: How do I use this?

ebola?

Bluelight Crew
My apologies in advance for a lack of a rich narrative...the trip just wasn't that interesting (at least for the external observer), and I just want to get some information on this (somewhat rare) compound out there.

I am a early-30 something male weighing roughly 80 kg. I have extensive experience with a variety of substances, and moderate experience with psychedelics (a mere pittance compared to most 'psychonauts' on here ;)). I currently use cannabis sporadically a few times per week and am overusing kratom (though I haven't noticed any real withdrawal on breaks yet).

This was my third trial with the compound. My initial trial was a just-above threshold experience at 15 mg, while my second experience was another undershot, with 35 mg taken on top of a large meal and reduced gut motility from opioids...and a lot of 4fa use the prior evening. In this second trial, I did have subtle, mediocre visuals, but I was mentally sober.
t+0: down the hatch. I immediately went on an hour and a half bike ride. I found this great for reducing pre-trip jitters and preoccupation.

t+1:20: in a convenience store at the end of my bike ride. okay...I'm starting to notice something. The details on visual textures are a lot more interesting and, well, detailed. Mind feels ever so slightly spacey.

t+ 1:30: in the garage, putting away my bike, I notice that the textural patterning in the concrete is ever so slightly non-random.

t+1:40: in the shower, I notice that colors, including white, are very, very vibrant. I notice some expanding of the tile-work. I find myself with a stimulated feeling in my chest, carrying a mild form of the emotion you get in the climb on a roller coaster.

T+2:30: the effects are quite obvious now. The fractaloid OEVs I'm getting are quite hexagonal, and flower shaped, and mostly based in reorganization of the visual elements already in the scene. They are pretty, but definitely not as active and flowey as with 2c or 2c-nbome psychedelics. The tripping is less 'in your face'...It's more that it's all there, but only upon inspection. Due to just how good it sounds, I spend most of my time just dazing out to music, which has drastically increased emotional impact and a great sound overall. There are also moments where I feel like I have more direct, mathemized perception of rhythms, where I can more actively analyze the timing of multiple patterns at once. A downside is that a jangly, achey body high accompanies all this, but I interpret it being due to prior mistreatment of my back (hours of biking can be quite rough on that). All the while, I am eating ravenously, as one would expect after a ride of this length. My choice is yogurt, granola, and some blueberry juice, which feels very appropriate and healthy.

t+3:30: I've alternated between listening to music and chatting with people on IM, the latter being enhanced, with greater enthusiasm, and I think empathy with those I'm chatting with. I also spend alternating moments walking around, looking at interesting surfaces, and wondering what to do with myself. While deeper than many halo-2cs, I'm still not coming to amazing realizations. Playing with my cat is great fun. At moments, I realize that we are just two manifestations of one unified system, coming to self-consciousness. As I empathize with his goals and notice the social cuing he's engaged in, I imagine intersubjectivity as a key part of this process of attainment of fuller self-consciousness. But this is mostly just understood intellectually, as with sober thought. I vacillate about whether to go on a hike in a nearby park, but I'm worried at needing to interact with neighbors. While sober, I'm usually slightly worried about that. :p

t+4:00: with the jangly body high persisting, and with corroborative recommendation by a friend, I invite some kratom to the party (I have some acquired tolerance...it's a tbsp, maybe, in water). It tastes no worse than usual. The jangly body high turns into something really pleasant, approximating amphetamine + opioids. I also feel more comfortable with my present setting and mindset, rather than ever searching for the 'right' thing to do.

t+5:00: I have guests coming in an hour that I've promised to cook for. I begin haphazardly cleaning and setting out ingredients in preparation. My activity is extremely haphazard, and I keep getting side-tracked, but it's also really fun. I'm bizarrely enthusiastic about the connection between what I'm doing and the overall contextual conditions that are bringing it about. I don't see this connection readily (let alone intuitively) when sober. I crack open a beer.

t+6:00: The guests are here, a good friend (a bluelighter) and her partner. I proceed to catch up a bit. Conversation flows freely, and enthusiastically. It's again like amphetamine + an opioid, but I remained creative and tangential, rather than taking on an arrogant blabbermouth type state that (pseudo-)speedballs can sometimes induce. I also begin cooking. My attention seems pretty haphazard and divided, but I can implement my usual procedures well and taste and adjust. I do notice a few moments where I forget what I'm doing though. Any possible visuals have taken a back seat to social interaction and the task at hand.

t+7:00: we eat. I apologize for how long the cooking went. It only went half an hour. I thought it took ~2 hours. :p We sit down to the meal, and the outcome of the cooking is competent (I am complimented on how good it is, but my guests are so nice that it could be hyperbolic). Prior to and during the meal, I supplement with cannabis, kratom, and beer. The cannabis kicks the trip back in a little, increasing visuals and spaciness, but I still feel more coherent than an equiintoxicating dose of cannabis taken alone.

until t+9:00: wonderful conversation, music listening, and music video watching continues until my guests leave. Cannabis, kratom, and beer intake continues. I am sorry to see my guests leave but feel blessed as to have an experience with them.

until t+13:50: I continue intake of beer, kratom, and cannabis, up to about 4 beers and 10 gm / kratom (I have a bit of a tolerance to both :/) and lots of cannabis. I am still experiencing mild visuals and good musical enhancement until like t+12. I continue with spacey, enthusiastic conversation by IM, with the minor speedball effect. Here, I take an etizolam to kill any remaining jitters (I have some tolerance to this too; otherwise, it would be really dangerous to mix 3 depressants). I continue to smoke cannabis. Here, the effects of the MAL gradually die down, until the pattern of the ceiling speckles is nearly random.

I sleep for 9 hours.
I wake up feeling refreshed, in an inexplicably good mood. There is a contented anti-depressant effect that mirrors that of therapy with low-dose ketamine (directly following dosing, the first day w/o ketamine).

I think that this compound is a winner, but I need to figure out just how to make maximal use of it. Something tells me that higher dosing is not the answer...

ebola

Last edited:
Thanks, interesting. I have been curious about this one, if only because you don't see methallyl substitutions in drugs everyday. Not a meaningful fact on its own of course, but let's just say that there aren't many homologues as far divorced from the original methyl or methoxy subbed parent.

Some people say AL and MAL are just not worth it, there are even some who become critical about the matter as soon as we depart from mescaline to its homologues... but it is probably more helpful to remain open-minded and to accept compounds for what they are and not for what someone myopically imagines it to be. A compound can still be uninteresting at that point but at least then one has tried. You yourself seem to have the right attitude :) and asking the right questions: what does it enhance? what does it enable?
I unfortunately don't have MAL but I do have a little bit of AL and P. I will probably see if I am still allured by MAL after trying them.

Do you think there would be any point in 3C-MAL, ebola? ?

How about combining it with something like ketamine instead of kratom, to make it more interesting rather than recreational and pleasantly easy-going? Would that be favoring distortion too much over enhancement, would it kill the subtle aesthetic qualities and just create chaos that can be found in plenty more ways if you just dose and combine with less reservations.

Why would a higher dose not be the way to go? Shulgin and many other people at home titrating psychedelics frequently come to a point where they decide not to go higher. Sometimes the reason is clear as day, just unnecessary because a satifying or overwhelming +++ is already achieved, blatant toxicity, etc. But at other times the explanation may defy words a lot more. Still I am very curious about situations like that, because they would suggest that some mental faculty is being pushed to its limits and elucidating what mental faculty that is may shine a light on what buttons are being pressed what way to begin with.

Just fyi being really nitpicky, also a word to others: If you are going to write more reports and/or want to submit this to Erowid, please avoid speaking in second person. They don't like that and they have a point about always keeping subjectivity and individual reactions in mind.
Then again the general notion of a PEA (which are all cut from the stimmy cloth so to speak) together with kratom being the opioid, is pretty obvious and we can generalize.

Nice report. Man, I need to try some of these 3,4,5-PEAs. This one does sound good from your report.

Do you think there would be any point in 3C-MAL, ebola?

Maybe, but really, I have little information to work from. Escaline seems somewhat similar in effects to MAL, and the amphetamine homologue, MEM, sounds pretty worthwhile
(http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal122.shtml).

How about combining it with something like ketamine instead of kratom, to make it more interesting rather than recreational and pleasantly easy-going?

I'd expect this to be fruitful, particularly if you've had success with combining dissociatives and phenethylamines in the past, though the experience might not be as clear-headed as with 2,4,5-phenethylamines.

Why would a higher dose not be the way to go?

It's mostly just an unsubstantiated intuition I have, and really only applicable to me and my situation. I feel like there's more work to be done at the current dosage level, and it might be useful read appropriate philosophical writings directly prior to or during the trip. I think that additional experience might make later pushes toward higher levels more rewarding.

Just fyi being really nitpicky, also a word to others: If you are going to write more reports and/or want to submit this to Erowid, please avoid speaking in second person. They don't like that and they have a point about always keeping subjectivity and individual reactions in mind.

Ah. In casual contexts, people often use second person grammar (somewhat sparingly) to express third person sentiments. I edited to increase clarity anyway.

ebola

Nice report, man. :) I haven't read a report on this substance before. Sounds pretty lovely. :) I'd love to be able to add my thoughts to the subject.

I made:
homemade pesto sauce
capellini
mock chicken (prepared)
kale and zucchini.

ebola

Great report thanks for sharing that! Great read.

I made:
homemade pesto sauce
capellini
mock chicken (prepared)
kale and zucchini.

ebola

Tasty!

I've had one experience with MAL, and I'm not sure if my general unfamiliarity with PEA psychs put me off, but i think I need to try some different set/settings with it. I wasn't sure quite how to approach it, being more experienced with the tryptamine/ergoloid psychedelics.
Nice to see a trip report about this though; info about this one is a little light on the ground.