• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Making 80-120k a year, what college major? or maybe no college?

CR, I think that if you really love what you do, it becomes a PART of your happy life, instead of something you do to fund your happy life.

BTW, what is it you do?

CreativeRandom said:
No, I completely disagree. I think this is a dumb point we are just told over and over again in the school system and from Hollywood.

You didn't say why it was dumb.

CreativeRandom said:
Honestly, if I make loads of money and work very little

Doing what? Honestly, if someone just gave me a whole lot of money, I could sit on my ass and not worry about work at all. But so what?

CreativeRandom said:
Money isn't the root of happiness, don't get me wrong. But you definately need time to find what your root of happiness actually is.

Exactly. But this proves my point, because the high salary jobs are generally the ones that require you to work more hours (obviously there are exceptions).

Maybe I read Death of a Salesman too closely but I'd take being skilled over having connections. Of course if you're skilled AND connected then you've got that oyster-world thing going.

CR, I think that if you really love what you do, it becomes a PART of your happy life, instead of something you do to fund your happy life.

Whatever job you do, it becomes PART of your life. I don't have anything against doing what you love, and I do not think it is stupid to pick a job solely on this if it is truly your passion. But, do not make it the basis and sole reason for what job you are seeking.

Doing what? Honestly, if someone just gave me a whole lot of money, I could sit on my ass and not worry about work at all. But so what?

Then your set. You can sit at home all day watching TV. Or you could become active and lobby/campaign. You could volunteer. You could travel to Mexico and help orphans. You could donate. You could help out Red Cross in Hurricane Relief. You could set up a forum based on safely using Ecstasy which will also incorporate subtopics about everything from Other Drugs to College & University.

Exactly. But this proves my point, because the high salary jobs are generally the ones that require you to work more hours (obviously there are exceptions).

Not making the connection.

^
CreativeRandom said:
Honestly, if I make loads of money and work very little, I can do what I really want to do in my free time.

CreativeRandom said:
Money isn't the root of happiness, don't get me wrong. But you definately need time to find what your root of happiness actually is.

My opinion on this is that you'll earn the most doing whatever you're best at. Finding what that is can be something more of a challenge.

CreativeRandom said:
No, I completely disagree. I think this is a dumb point we are just told over and over again in the school system and from Hollywood.

I don't give a damn what I'm doing, as long as it makes the money, the time, and doesn't violate my morals (which would be pretty extreme for me, but Im not taking any part of being a worker in Venezuela).

Honestly, if I make loads of money and work very little, I can do what I really want to do in my free time. Teach kids, work charity, volunteering, do blood drives. They are fun things to do. But they don't pay enough, and are you willing to sacrifice lots of money and time for something you may like to do, but are forced to do it?

I couldn't disagree with you more. I was fresh from my first child, 20, unmarried, and making more than my mother who was an executive with a very large phone company in the southeast.

I could go back to doing what i did before, sales, and make a shit ton of money, to be blunt....but I dont want to work in a job where I don't feel fulfilled, where i feel i am basically begging for money as i screw families by convincing them they should pay for something they dont need, and likely, cant afford.

I have turned down jobs in the last year that would triple our pay, and that is conservative...because they weren't worth leaving my kids for 10 hours a day. and I wouldn't have done it for 8 hours a day either, if i felt i was not doing anything but "making money" But I am dying to go back to school, something we can't afford, and spend 10 years going towards a degree that may never come to fruition, nor make us much money, because I simply would enjoy it.

i want to enjoy life, every part of it. I refuse to do anythign for 8 hours a day if I am not learning, or happy. I dont care how much i make.

honestly, for anyone reading, you really only care about making a lot of money, and working short hours?? the jobs are there, and they are plentiful. They are sales jobs. You have to find the one that fits you...short hours, lotsa money, timeshare. lotsa hours, lotsa money, but easy to find, cars. college degree, preferably, finance, brokering, finance.....sales is an easy money maker. no college degree required, just some common sense and a whole lotta likeability and even more desire for $$$$$.

the op wants 80 to 100k. I was making that when i was 20. My uncle, someone who has been in timeshare now for quite a while, goes all over the country from one million dollar home to another. He isn't the most spiritually advance in the group, but hey, he has his goal $$$$

Last edited:
where i feel i am basically begging for money as i screw families by convincing them they should pay for something they dont need, and likely, cant afford.

Which goes against your morals. I mentioned this.

...because they weren't worth leaving my kids for 10 hours a day. and I wouldn't have done it for 8 hours a day either,if i felt i was not doing anything but "making money" But

Same thing.

CreativeRandom,
Most of those "big money jobs" you're so interested in because the money is so supposedly great are jobs that essentially take over your life. If you hate the thing that you allow to take over your life, you're an idiot.

And there's no such thing as an engineer who makes tons of money and works very little. Enjoy your 60+ hour work weeks, chump.

No jobs out there have less hours?

I better enlist in the Air Force then and start my path to becoming an airline pilot or space man.

You're going to have a hard time getting into any university at this rate.

In all sincerity you'd be better off abandoning your current preconceptions of life and happiness for a brief while before you dive off the deep end, dedicating yourself to a career you apparently have no genuine interest in, for what your sheltered existence has taught you to consider valuable.

Or, failing that, you could always write another windy post expressing unfounded, unsupported, and otherwise irrelevant opinions in an attempt to make your "peers" see you as anything more than another young punk with a keyboard that thinks he knows something...

I hear there's a lot of money in applied aerospace technologies. Could somebody explain what this is, what studying it entails, and how quickly I can fulfill my role as a money hungry twit if I pursue it as a career?

In all sincerity you'd be better off abandoning your current preconceptions of life and happiness for a brief while

I always thought the popular preconception is that everyone can get a job that pays well and they love.

People don't like living "substandard" for their jobs.

aunty establishment said:
Lay off the ad homs skavenger, it's not necessary. Reported.

How valiant. People who consistently say moronic things need the occasional verbal kick in the teeth.

Creative: Good work on the selective reading.

uisgdlyast said:
I'm also thinking about dentistry, the flexible hours seem very very nice, the only problem is the whole medical aspect and having to do minor surgery on people.

cos dentistry is all flexible hours, huh? don't worry about the actual dentistry, you know, minor surgery and the whole medical aspect...

Sounds like you need to find out what you really enjoy doing. Once you've found that, you'll do well no matter what. Don't worry about the money...worry about yourself. You can't eat money and you can't buy happiness...not to sound like a shitty self-help book or anything, but really, do some soul searching

Why are you being such an ass to me? Is it that hard a concept to grasp? I find the best job is one you are able to accept morally, pays good, and has enough free time. That way, in your free time, you can truly afford and have time to do what you love, be it spend time with your kids or coach high school football.

I never said this job is easy to get. And I never said you couldn't compromise with a job you like alot and a little less pay.

money.gif