• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Making 80-120k a year, what college major? or maybe no college?

I guess you're somewhat on the right track with the dentistry consideration. The easiest jobs with the highest pay in the shortest amount of time will probably be something like dentists, physicians' assistants, physical therapists, optometrists, etc. All of these are professional practitioners that begin their careers immediately after finishing school with no post-graduate residencies. Personally, I wish I would have gone down one of these career paths instead of the one that I have, but that's really just a personal preference. You don't necessarily have to own your own business to do well in any of these fields either. Physical and occupational therapists, for example, can contract with school districts or home-nursing programs and make close to or over six digits.

The business route is an option, but let me be perfectly honest. I recently completed my MBA with a top-ten graduate business program. I could be making far more money than I do now, but in the business world, your payoff is truly the direct result of the amount of work that you're going to be putting into your career. Among other duties, I review and revise worker and sub-contractor agreements with a tech recruitment firm. Most of my work is done from home, and I generally work from nine in the morning until four in the afternoon, four to five days a week. The money isn't anywhere near what you'd consider fantastic, but I make a decent living all things considered. Truth be told, I could be making six digits, but in order to earn that sort of money, I'd be working six to seven days a week, ten to twelve hours a day in a high-pressure environment.. Successful business people live, eat, sleep, dream, and sweat their jobs. Theirs is a work driven by passion.

I (obviously) work with programmers and engineers, and let me tell you, their job market is not the greatest at this moment in time. Well, maybe I shouldn't quite phrase it like that. It's probably better to say that their job market is not the glorified get-rich-quick, you've-got-a-guaranteed-job-after-graduating environment that it once was just a few years ago. Programmers that I see walking into entry-level and mid-level positions typically make around forty to fifty grand a year. Good, but not great. Engineers will make a bit more, but another hurdle all together is appearing for so many of the applicants in the tech field. Once upon a time, an undergraduate computer science or an engineering degree guaranteed you a job. That's not the case anymore. As techology improves exponentially, more and more employers want specific technology training (acoustics labs, a.i., robotics, etc.). Where does this come from? Research-oriented grad studies. A master's degree at a research-intensive school virtually guarantees a great job, but you'd reaaaally have to enjoy what you study. And let's be honest. An M.S. in computer science or engineering is no easy task. To top it all off, the tech market is very, very volatile. As more and more projects within companies start and end, a lot of programmers and engineers outlive their usefulness. Jobs are beginning to last only a few years on average. I know there are those willing to argue with me that there are many good, long-lasting careers, but they are truly becoming fewer in number. Factor all of this with way too many unqualified candidates (you wouldn't believe how many schools will brand someone with an engineering or programming degree with the student knowing virtually nothing), and the market is one that can be conquered, but times have definitely changed in just the last five or six years.

Let's face it. A six figure salary is something only the fewest will ever earn, and unfortunately, one of the best guarantees to being miserable as a working adult is choosing a career based on its rewards and not your own likings. If you want to be a teacher, then so be it. Lots of people live happily on forty thousand dollars (or less) a year. Personally, if I were choosing just based on work involved and rewards guaranteed, I'd probably go through a physician's assistant program. The pay is great, and you will work straight out of school. But that's just me. Good luck, and don't worry too much about what you're going to do just yet. You're still in high school and have plenty of time to make up your mind.

^So true, but such a contrast to the perceptions I had of the job market when I was in high school. The sky was the limit.. now I know that is only true if you are willing to give up everything else to earn it. Blah.

Be a prostitute. Yes, you can be one as male. If you don't spend all your cash on drugs, you can make quite a killing I hear. Few hours, no formal education needed...it's perfect for you.

fairnymph said:
Be a prostitute. Yes, you can be one as male. If you don't spend all your cash on drugs, you can make quite a killing I hear. Few hours, no formal education needed...it's perfect for you.

you too, holla at me if you ever get around to it ;)

uacvax said:
you'd have to be a damn good prostitute

how is counterterrorism a profitable industry? where's it show the salary figures

Blackwater, is a private army corp contracted by the US government ( big $$$) . They typically get paid over a 100k for a one year contract over in the middle east. All housing/foods/other needs are provided cost-free. During hurricane katrina they were called in to aid, and were nicely equipped with brand new 2005 BMWs and m16's. There is also another private army called dynacorp.

Anyways, I left out alot. But im tired..:p

:(

most of us have no experience in force recon, swat, seal, green berets etc.

i don't even have military experience

How bout getting a bachelors in biochemistry and then either going for a master's in biochem or chemical engineering? Are these two fields good in terms of $$$$?

my father (emtional abuser) forced me into doing a business management degree (which im in my second year of).

Fucking hate it, i wanted to do sound engineering instead. I skip class constantly and feel like im going to kill myself everyday.

I hate uni!

So you earn about 60k a year? How long have you been working in the field?

If you have a lot of ambition to make money, business would be an ideal field for you because as sput said, your earnings are directly related to the amount of work you put in, so if you're really passionate about making money, go for it.
Medicine will make you huge amounts of money, but it would be extremely hard to do unless you had a passion for it. A Pharmacy Doctorate can get you $80-$120k right out of college, and you wouldn't really need a passion for medicine but you would have to take almost strictly science courses for your BS and a Pharmacy Doctorate program could be difficult.

Skilled labor and realestate.

Out of all the people I know, thoes who do this are the most successfull by far.

I know a family who the wife has about 3 PhD's, and has a hard time finding a contract all the time and makes like 30k a year, whereas the husband owns several proporties and is a self-taught painter and makes well over 100 and supports the family.

you can make money in any field if you're good.

the main thing is that nothing comes free, you have to work for it whether its in the leadup, business side, hours & hard-slog, or intelligence / creativity side.

the fact is most people prefer a stable job and income and dont want or cant handle the challenge of hard work every single day without a break.