• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Maintaining your "sweetspot"; length of time between using opiates...

avcpl

Bluelighter
The wife and I have landed on our sweetspot of dosage and usage, to where we get maximum effects, minimal side effects, and no cravings to use more often or more amount.

For us it's a break of four days between our half-day of using. We inject 4mg Dilaudid in the afternoon, then slightly less in the evening. From the last dose of that day to the next one is 90 hours.

This has been working swimmingly for us for several months (and I myself have had a similar schedule/dose that I had been maintaining for about a year prior).

I'm curious what length of break other long-time users have found is effective that you don't need to change anything in regard to dosage/frequency.

For example, for those that use every other day find they need to bump up their dose slightly after a few weeks? Do people that use just once a week typically keep the same dose for years on end?

I just Cant take opiates that often anymore, i have shot too Many times in my life, my brain Is fucked. If i dose every 4 days i end up wding after 2-3 times repeating that schedule.

Lots of people in the beginning can use like this but it only takes one death of a close loved one or something tragic to drive that use into abuse.

And once your in abuse territory it’s damn near impossible to go back.

I highly suggest putting it down while you still can.

-GC

Lots of people in the beginning can use like this but it only takes one death of a close loved one or something tragic to drive that use into abuse.

-GC
We know how this story ends, right GC? Haha

Opiates are a dead end one way or another. You can jump up the ladder to stronger material, take tolerance breaks, etc.

In the end you'll always reach a point where you're just consuming a whopping dose and barely catch a buzz. It does feel good after taking a tolerance break here and there, but tolerance comes back faster than ever with prolonged usage in the past. I'm not trying to be a fun-sucker, I just think it always ends in misery no matter how intelligent or cautious you might be.

Opiates are really not that "recreational." After a recent life saga of waking up day after day in a pool of sweat and my own misery, I saw that it is simply not worth it.

-GC

Thanks all for your concern. I think it's hard to talk about this here because the audience is mostly those that have difficulty and not those that don't (where would you even find them?). I was given the same advice 10 years ago when I started using opiates recreationally. Thankfully I didn't listen to that advice as I would have missed out on some of the best experiences of my life.

I was just interested in hearing other peoples experience when taking breaks between doses. There is no literature I can find on the topic. Tolerance studies abound, but they are all using constant doses. It's easy to see how relentless exposure would lead to rapid desensitization. I'm finding a 90hr break is sufficient for me (and my wife) for a reset.

I understand that many (most?) find they can not wait that long and end up using more. This has never been a problem for us as following the use of opiates the idea of using them sounds repulsive for days. I compare it to eating a steak dinner. I love a giant bloody good steak, but when I'm done I feel like I never want to eat steak again for a long time. But of course we know there are people out there that can and do eat a steak dinner night after night after night...Perhaps that's the difference in those that have an "addictive personality" and those that don't. I don't know.

And as to using opiate as a response to a tragedy, I'm sure there are many that use them that way but I don't. It might be hard for you to believe if that is your coping mechanism, but imagine a sex addict telling you, "just wait until there is a death in the family and then you'll go out and sleep with everyone you can!". Well, that seems just as unlikely for me, but a real possibility for some. Maybe I'll eat a bowl of ice cream and listen to a sad song, but taking opiates frankly sounds like a bizarre mismatch; but to each his own...

Thanks all for your concern. I think it's hard to talk about this here because the audience is mostly those that have difficulty and not those that don't (where would you even find them?). I was given the same advice 10 years ago when I started using opiates recreationally. Thankfully I didn't listen to that advice as I would have missed out on some of the best experiences of my life.

I was just interested in hearing other peoples experience when taking breaks between doses. There is no literature I can find on the topic. Tolerance studies abound, but they are all using constant doses. It's easy to see how relentless exposure would lead to rapid desensitization. I'm finding a 90hr break is sufficient for me (and my wife) for a reset.

I understand that many (most?) find they can not wait that long and end up using more. This has never been a problem for us as following the use of opiates the idea of using them sounds repulsive for days. I compare it to eating a steak dinner. I love a giant bloody good steak, but when I'm done I feel like I never want to eat steak again for a long time. But of course we know there are people out there that can and do eat a steak dinner night after night after night...Perhaps that's the difference in those that have an "addictive personality" and those that don't. I don't know.

And as to using opiate as a response to a tragedy, I'm sure there are many that use them that way but I don't. It might be hard for you to believe if that is your coping mechanism, but imagine a sex addict telling you, "just wait until there is a death in the family and then you'll go out and sleep with everyone you can!". Well, that seems just as unlikely for me, but a real possibility for some. Maybe I'll eat a bowl of ice cream and listen to a sad song, but taking opiates frankly sounds like a bizarre mismatch; but to each his own...

Maybe you haven’t had a tragedy that really hits hard? Everyone is different in that regard but frankly you sound borderline arrogant about it all which gives me the impression, when that day finally comes for you it won’t be pretty.

It’s all about life circumstances. For me personally, now in my life, I completely agree with your sentiment, opiates now don’t seem like a good escape but at one point when my life was fucked they did.

I just dealt with cancer over the winter and even with my life potentially on the line I was able to procure a strong opiate on my own accord, use it as needed for pain management, and taper off/stop when I was done.

What I’m trying to get at is that, your looking at this as if some people are born with this addictive trait and some aren’t. IMO it’s all life circumstances that allow one to either put them down or not.

Again to be frank, do you think you somehow met the one girl in a million that has the exact same iron clad willpower you do? Or is it more reasonable to assume you guys live a cushy life and it’s not a problem for now?..

-GC

but to say don't do something you really enjoy because even though you've used responsibly for over a decade because there may or may not be some that happens that may or may not cause me to act out of the ordinary...
now that sounds arrogant to me, it sounds like "just say no" to drugs because "drugs are bad 'mkay".

I'm not trying to convince you (or anyone else) of anything, but as I said I appreciate the concern. I think you are coming from a good place, (and since you asked my wife is a one in a billion match with me, we are both very disciplined, healthy, I'm retired, she will be soon, no kids, house paid off, pension, good insurance, etc.).

Mods, please feel free to close this thread; this wasn't the discussion I was hoping for. Thanks and be safe everyone!

The wife and I have landed on our sweetspot of dosage and usage, to where we get maximum effects, minimal side effects, and no cravings to use more often or more amount.

For us it's a break of four days between our half-day of using. We inject 4mg Dilaudid in the afternoon, then slightly less in the evening. From the last dose of that day to the next one is 90 hours.

This has been working swimmingly for us for several months (and I myself have had a similar schedule/dose that I had been maintaining for about a year prior).

I'm curious what length of break other long-time users have found is effective that you don't need to change anything in regard to dosage/frequency.

For example, for those that use every other day find they need to bump up their dose slightly after a few weeks? Do people that use just once a week typically keep the same dose for years on end?

You can prally shoot 4mg 4x daily then wait 90-120hrs and be fine with no tolerance

I am definitely trying to come from a good place and not trying to knock down something that's worked for you two for quite some time.

However, with her on the brink of retirement and you two getting older--I could definitely see at least one of you becoming more dependent on it for the upcoming slowed down period of your lives. The real issue is that the brain recognizes it as "the best feeling in the world" as to whether you subjectively feel it is that or not. When you're lounging around all day sober waiting for the next dose during a using break I guarantee it will start to cross your mind eventually more often. Whether you decide to cheat your breaks or not is somewhat up to you. But that temptation will start to become more of an issue I can guarantee it. I've seen it with someone very close to me within my family. After she retired she felt purposeless and did begin to become a lot more dependent on her opioid script.

Not saying it's going to happen to either of you, but I just think that it could pose more of a problem in the future than it has so far. Honestly there's nothing morally wrong with getting high in itself. It's a problem when you start hurting others around you or steal from friends/loved ones to score a great buzz. But in my opinion--opiates are fair game and whatever someone puts in their body is ultimately their choice and no one else should be able to comment on that.

-GC
Not recently, but I've been in abuse territory before and didn't find it all that hard to stop. I get, prescription OxyIR and have been on much stronger opioids. In my opinion,you really have to want it. Self control is a wonderful thing, using an opiod to feel better on a daily basis, not for pain, is why some people have trouble. I'm really not that strong of a person, I guess I'm unusual, but it just doesn't bother me that much. If on high doses you must wean yourself off. Cold turkey is hard but it can be done