• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Op-Ed Magic mushroom companies are on the Nasdaq now. That’s a recipe for a bad trip

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Magic mushroom companies are on the Nasdaq now. That’s a recipe for a bad trip​

Ross Ellenhorn and Dimitri Mugianis
The Guardian
03 Jan 2022

The new Hulu series Dopesick is a dramatic reminder of the devastation that has been wrought by the opioid epidemic. Like the book on which it was based, and like other journalism about the Oxycontin crisis, the show makes it clear that members of the Sackler family, Purdue, unscrupulous doctors, and the FDA all played a part in causing the rampant overprescription of Oxycontin. Suddenly every kind of pain – not only physical but also psychological and social – seemed to have a single answer: Oxycontin. Opioids are one of the oldest drugs in the human pharmacopeia, but Oxycontin’s new patents made every person in pain a source of easy money for Purdue. This led to a wave of addiction and overdose. When regulators cracked down on legal pills, many people turned to the illicit drug market, putting them in even greater danger.

Yet even as America reckons with the aftermath of the Oxycontin disaster, it’s embracing a new class of supposed wonder drugs. Like opioids, these “new” drugs are long-time favorites: psychedelics. Ironically, one of their supposedly miraculous qualities is their power in treating substance use disorders. The FDA – whose lax oversight and close ties to corporate lobbyists played such a crucial role in the Oxycontin debacle – has placed MDMA and psilocybin on expedited approval tracks for the treatment of PTSD and treatment-resistant depression. MDMA-assisted therapy for PTSD is in advanced trials, and could receive FDA approval as soon as 2023.

Read the full story here.

While I don’t like the comparison to Oxycontin and the series Dopesick (which I personally think is propaganda), I think some good points are raised in this article.

While I don’t like the comparison to Oxycontin and the series Dopesick (which I personally think is propaganda), I think some good points are raised in this article.
I'm surprised they didn't mention $MNMD (MindMed) being involved with mushrooms. Says Nasdaq and mushrooms but doesn't mention any stocks, lol.

Yeh, I saw this article this morning and they do raise some good points.

Once big pharma and their lust for money get involved, it normally goes to shit.

However, I noticed this in the first paragraph:

"Wall Street and Peter Thiel are all investing in psychedelics. But Oxycotin showed the harm profit-hungry corporations can cause with ‘wonder drugs’ "

Shame on you at The Guardian, you should spell better...

Yeh, I saw this article this morning and they do raise some good points.

Once big pharma and their lust for money get involved, it normally goes to shit.

However, I noticed this in the first paragraph:

"Wall Street and Peter Thiel are all investing in psychedelics. But Oxycotin showed the harm profit-hungry corporations can cause with ‘wonder drugs’ "

-Protesting outside of Purdue pharma Sacklers house with a sign that says "Jail the Sacklers and ban Oxytocin"

Last edited:

Fuuuuuuuuck that pisses me off so much

the only people who ever called oxycontin a "wonder drug" were the fucking dry crusty assholes that lied to everyone just to sell it, now they're all rich and legally immune.

more like "wonder fraud"

But yeah, I'm surprised this hasn't happened already yet. So many greedy paws trying to patent psychedelics, riding the wave of pop culture hype.... all for the $

Psychedelic-hallucinogen use occurs within the predatory context of capitalism, it does not transcend it. So of course it'll reflect all of the base and transactional aspects of our modern economy when it becomes "mainstream"...something which has also happened with cannabis since legalization (although, better than the situation that had previously existed vis-a-vis cannabis when it was illegal? Without a doubt imo)

With that being said, I do feel that this class of drugs does have tremendous potential for a range of medical issues...also, this point I'm about to make is more abstract and this is firmly IMO/IME, but I've always felt that the psychoactive effect of psychedelic drugs are subversive when it comes to human structures like capitalism or the state etc. Many people have tried to channel the power of this class of drug into obedience to power (or a eagerness to fork over your money to some druggie bourgeoisie) but those efforts have almost invariably ended in total failure from MK-ULTRA to the present day. The idea of a transformation of this class of drug into a simple profit-making venture...it just seems easier said than done imo, both as a function of the drug (psilocybin in this case) nature as a non-addictive substance, and in regards to the psychoactive effect of the substance (i.e., it cultivates a mindset that isn't exactly conducive to mindless participation in human-crafted systems of money or power)

Good thing i already have ready access to fire psilocybin. Going to a physician for boomers.. shakes head. Why would I go to a clueless physician for that. Because some gready fucks patented it. Not in my lifetime.

Edit: finish the article before I post

Last edited:
The idea of a transformation of this class of drug into a simple profit-making venture...it just seems easier said than done imo
Do you think that non-psychoactive compounds of similar structure could be easily adopted into the traditional pharma company structure?

I only ask because last I heard, a number of these psychedelic start ups are actively seeking non psychoactive psychedelics (sometimes termed psychoplastogens). Proposed indications include Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, etc. It seems mainly neurological conditions as opposed to psychiatric ones are being researched for this class of drugs. At least for now

Idk I guess it’s just interesting to think about the fact that our grandparents may one day be taking daily doses of some tryptamine for their dementia. It’s certainly distinct from psilocybin assisted therapy.

Saw this today and wasn't sure if it was appropriate for its own post, so I'm posting it here. A shell stock I follow (QENC) just announced that KRTL Biotech is taking over the stock. I looked them up and their website says CBD and Psilocybin, so it looks like we have another publicly traded company involved with mushroom research.

Here's the press release from today:

Here's their website:

I can't link their Instagram for some reason: