• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

lyrica's (pregabalin's) real mechanisim

Please be careful. This thing is no joke. I came off cold turkey after abusing large amounts for a year and had a very brutal 10 day long benzo like withdrawal that nearly killed me. Skyhigh hypertension and felt constantly on the edge of a seizure or heart attack. Also lost large parts of my memory that eventually came back.

You NEED to either taper or have other downers on hand. Gabapentin, benzo, and also opiates would work. The only thing I had which about halved my symptoms (didn't make me feel okay but less ill) was a combination of magnesium, l-theanine, and hops capsules (which are all sedative).

Anyone new to it reading this please be careful and consider this. It is VERY tempting to abuse and easy to get addicted to. Partly because in moderate doses it doesn't feel like a drug or get you "high" as such. More like a great anti-depressant or mood-lifter, and you're able to function on it. Actually makes you more functional as it's both stimulating and gives you more pleasure from anything you're doing (not stimulating in a way that makes you stressed out like speed, it's more relaxing than stimulating, it has both at the same time).

It's not so much the actual effect on the drug on your life that seems to be destructive but more what it's doing to your body and the danger of getting into acute withdrawal with no relief, which might very well lead to death or you being handicapped for life. And I wouldn't count on most doctors being willing to help you out by putting you on a taper or other downers even though they ABSOLUTELY should. Just many would be ignorant of the danger you're in and have the attitude that it serves you right to suffer through the withdrawal.

And I really hate this attitude as I don't think going through the horrific withdrawal from downers scares most off drugs. On the contrary, I think the great trauma it puts you through makes you more needy for drugs as you come out of it very emotionally scarred and with the learned experience that being without drugs makes you suffer and taking them makes you okay.

So putting someone through CT withdrawal just encourages their drug addiction in a way. The taper should be made as painless as possible with also emphasis on what nutrition, exercise, and different forms of detoxication (like large amounts of vitamin-C powder and other detoxiants, fasting, frequent bathing, etc.).

At least that seems to be more humane and it's a shitty world when there aren't many health professionals around to tell you this.

Last edited:
Lyrica caused cancer in one species' of mice, and studies show pregabalin did not cause nor catalyze the onset of tumor growth in rats.

A mouse's body functions differently from a human or even a rat's body; although a human is not a mouse, the findings of Pregabalin causing cancer in mice certainly raises suspicion of gabapentin and lyrica being carcinogenic in humans.

Limited studies have been done and at this point in time speculation is speculation. Until more research has been done, it is probably safe to assume lyrica and gabapentin are no more carcinogenic than tobacco/nicotine and alcohol. I mean people smoke and drink daily even though those two substances cause cancer, and there are multiple factors contributing to promotion of cancerous tumor growth such as age, weight, genetics, ect.....

I'm not going to stop taking lyrica or gabapentin , and frankly i am quite fond of pregabalin's synergism with opiates and.benzodiazepines

I hate to say it but data in which mice were used may be close to obsolete. Tobacco and alcohol, while maybe not carcinogenic in their own right, are pretty hard on the body in moderate amounts. And who wouldn't be?

I must stress that about as much is known of lyrica/nuerontin as with many research chemicals.