• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Lyrica - whose taken it long term / whose abused It heavily?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
Just curious about whose abused or taken lyrica for a long time and noticed any negative effects. I saw some doctors worried about decreased brain function or intelligence, tremors, tics after stopping usage and of course a pretty serious withdrawal. Does it lose its magic? I mean with tolerance I’d probably end up needing 2-4 grams a night

I tried some lyrica, I mean it took me around 1.5G to even really feel it (China sourced not pharmaceutical)

But man it’s the nicest thing in the world to fall asleep instantly, never in my entire life not even as a child have I been able to sleep without at least 20 minutes of struggle trying to fall asleep roll around, etc.

I’d sacrifice a lot to be able to just fall asleep when I hit the pillow.

Hi

you might find this thread useful, where we've been discussing it:

Don't do more than 1.2g or on whatever dose you get slight tremor and / or electric shock sensations. I got that on 1.2g and then full on seizures and blackout recently from 1.6g!

You can't sustain pregabalin, its tolerance curve is too steep. Eventually not just the magic but all effects will be lost, leaving you with just seizurogenic potential. Guess some antiepileptic activity will remain with therapeutic dosages, at least otherwise it wouldn't be used medically.

If you didn't do it before, you'll be pretty intoxicated from 300-450mg! Don't go too high too fast.

As a sleep aid, best one I know of is zopiclone or one of the benzos, unfortunately these come with dependency issue - zopiclone might be less bad cause it only lasts during the night and your receptors rest during the day. Had it for 3+ months and zero withdrawal, but this might not be what you get, everybody is different.

Benzos, in opposition to antihistamines, will reliably knock you out, with serious insomnia the latter fail sometimes. Might be wirth to try hydrozyzine or diphenhydramine, doxylamine though if you haven't yet.

@plumbus-nine , you're totally right about Pregabalin's rapid tolerance curve. I think once you've gone into high doses it seems impossible to reset the tolerance back to zero no matter how long you abstain for.

Ifk bout Lyrica but taking Gabapentin for 4 months and then quittin...HOLY FUCK. Almost as bad as opiate wds. Massive headache, chill, sweating, depression that lasted for 10 days the acute stage and lingered for like 3 weeks minor symptoms...

Just curious about whose abused or taken lyrica for a long time and noticed any negative effects. I saw some doctors worried about decreased brain function or intelligence, tremors, tics after stopping usage and of course a pretty serious withdrawal. Does it lose its magic? I mean with tolerance I’d probably end up needing 2-4 grams a night

I tried some lyrica, I mean it took me around 1.5G to even really feel it (China sourced not pharmaceutical)

But man it’s the nicest thing in the world to fall asleep instantly, never in my entire life not even as a child have I been able to sleep without at least 20 minutes of struggle trying to fall asleep roll around, etc.

I’d sacrifice a lot to be able to just fall asleep when I hit the pillow.
I was taking 600 mg a day for about 4 months, now i take 300 mg a day and have been for 8 months. I'm prescribed 600 mg per day and have about 60 300 mg pills saved up. Can a person really get high off lyrica? I didn't notice anything when i was taking 600 mg a day.

When you have tolerance, you won't get the intoxicating effects the same dose would have in a naive user but it iw for real. Try 900mg or 1.2g -not more!- at once and with some luck you will get a cross between a dissociative, a stimulant and a benzo maybe.

Weirdly I never had any withdrawal from pregabalin but some get it pretty badly. Helped me to cut down on morphine too before kicking it with memantine (a very underrated drug but that is another topic).

Ok, i might give it a go. Thanks for the info! Dissociatives are my favorite. I read a guy ived it.

Don't IV pregabalin from capsules!! This guy probably has pure substance w/o fillers, otherwise it's a one way ticket to thrombosis. Afaik pregab has a good bioavailability, so IVing won't bring much benefits.

In his post he said only the pregabalin is soluble, I'm not gonna do it. Too risky.

I've never used long term, I do however have a recurring 28 day prescription for 84 pills(50mg thrice daily) what I tend to do is get pissed with pals and we eat them like smarties. The whole box is gone by next day.
I've overdone it with lyrica obviously and the side effects are the worst I've experienced. The worst of that was absolutely fuking terrifying.. my tounge swelled up to the extent that I started having trouble breathing. I thought I was going to the cemetery real soon as the guest of honour. Nowadays I err on the side of caution.

I've never used long term, I do however have a recurring 28 day prescription for 84 pills(50mg thrice daily) what I tend to do is get pissed with pals and we eat them like smarties. The whole box is gone by next day.
I've overdone it with lyrica obviously and the side effects are the worst I've experienced. The worst of that was absolutely fuking terrifying.. my tounge swelled up to the extent that I started having trouble breathing. I thought I was going to the cemetery real soon as the guest of honour. Nowadays I err on the side of caution.

Sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction to it. I tend to chow my way through entire strips of Preg - although I don't get withdrawals, I'm a llittle worried I may be doing some longterm harm (for instance to kidneys)

Sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction to it. I tend to chow my way through entire strips of Preg - although I don't get withdrawals, I'm a llittle worried I may be doing some longterm harm (for instance to kidneys)
As I said, it's a once a month thing so dependance/withdrawals ain't an issue thank fucked. I just took too much I reckon. Lyrica is a nice drug to be honest, but like anything else you have to be careful.

Don't do more than 1.2g or on whatever dose you get slight tremor and / or electric shock sensations. I got that on 1.2g and then full on seizures and blackout recently from 1.6g!

You can't sustain pregabalin, its tolerance curve is too steep. Eventually not just the magic but all effects will be lost, leaving you with just seizurogenic potential. Guess some antiepileptic activity will remain with therapeutic dosages, at least otherwise it wouldn't be used medically.

If you didn't do it before, you'll be pretty intoxicated from 300-450mg! Don't go too high too fast.

As a sleep aid, best one I know of is zopiclone or one of the benzos, unfortunately these come with dependency issue - zopiclone might be less bad cause it only lasts during the night and your receptors rest during the day. Had it for 3+ months and zero withdrawal, but this might not be what you get, everybody is different.

Benzos, in opposition to antihistamines, will reliably knock you out, with serious insomnia the latter fail sometimes. Might be wirth to try hydrozyzine or diphenhydramine, doxylamine though if you haven't yet.
Wow, I never do more than 600mg and thst Is a lot foe me. Generally I just use 150-300mg.

Hello everyone. The first time I was prescribed Pregabalin was around 2017. In all that time I was also addicted to opiates and also abused many drugs. I don't do opiates anymore (I've only made poppy pod tea a couple of times since then) I'm still taking pregabalin, 300mg a day, although I've abused it many times, I'm still abusing pregabalin in some spare time. Maybe 900mg or 1200mg, I've been taking it for so long that I just saw this post and I'm worried. I hadn't thought that in the past I got withdrawal symptoms from that. Very similar to withdrawal from tramadol but with more anxiety, now that I think about it, the acute anxiety attacks that I've had lately make more sense (I was like 8 months without anxiety, reducing the medication and very motivated) I managed to take only 25mg a day 3 months ago until my anxiety started to screw everything up and I went back to taking higher doses.
I'm not sure what harm the pregabalin alone did to me, but it definitely did something.
At this point it no longer produces any interesting effects, apart from a reduction of anxiety and inhibitions at doses above 900mg for me, without tolerance it produced a lot of comfort and some euphoria, I guess that will not happen again, I just stopped for a Couple of months since I tried it in 2017, when I took it again after a long time I could feel some pleasant effects. If I manage to leave it, I would not take it again to know if the "magic" would return or whatever.

Hi Yeah sorry for long and maybe grammar
I was on trazodone-lorazepam-venlafaxine cocktail in 2019. I knew that I'm not gonna take haloperidol-sulpiride, quetiapine i tried and that's a chem lobotomy.
So I changed my psych who is neurologist and with Pregabalin 300mg(Lyrica) 3x a day which was only for 3 months given to push out benzos and Venlafaxine and it helped. I was abusing GHB and amphs before and like after a year of GBL went cold turkey, and they cycled couple SSri-s and Mirtazapine(night terrors), I said gabapentin or Pregabalin or Baclofen but No no, Lyrica was as other two out of the book, but when you think about it there is no Sertraline or Prozac or antipsychotic which would help GHB withdrawal. atleast not for me, so I was reading and found psych and elaborate.
So when I got it, It was godsend and it's true it's a mix of diss-benzo, speedy or sedative effect( varying on the dose or person), but it helped me 2 years on it and slowly tapering last two months and have a friend with clonidine prescr. which helped me couple days of chills and sweats but yeah I tried cold turkey Lyrica in those 2 years and was abusing couple times which meant that I took two much and sometimes I manipulated my familly doc. who prescribes it, cause the system was like every three months go to psych neurologist, then your doc prescribes it like f.e. 600mg daily is 4x 150mg which is every two weeks.
Fool me took like whole box in 5 days or 10 days, and it was complete nightmare even with lorazepam which I had only as last resort cause I didn't wanna take benzos but man o man, It was harsher than Venlafaxine which is a nightmare also....but never go Cold turkey from high doses.
I went through lot of withdrawals and the worst that I felt two times is MIND-fuck like second last 5 minutes, people say You die from benzo with. or insomnia and it's true but I went like 5 days withou sleep I think and other times my familly doc gave me earlier cause I went straitgh true with her and she was like: Went online and reading not knowing that Tollernace rise fast---Withdrawal is benzo+opioid if cold turkey---people are prone to use more and more, specially people who have adicttive potential. She was compassionate frome then and I was starting to lower.
So be carefull, lyrica can be your life-savior or opposite, In therapeutic doses it's better for anxiety than benzos in some cases, also remember that first two months when I was on 900mg daily the side effects like-stupidity(like loopines hard to describe-went away in smaller doses and couple weeks)but
, water retention, and heart pounding can be serioous.
Sleeping on Lyrica is my opinion not sleeping proper-you are sedating yourself like with other sedatives, I never tried zopiclone so...
So I'm still like 150mg 2x daily but I use it like on some weekend take 600mg which can't be like first couple months even if I take more I will just have bad hangover.
Stay safe

Does pregabalin have pretty much the same effects and absorption problems as gabapentin (aka the higher the amount you take in a single dosage drops a decent percentage of the bioavailability)? I've never gotten to try pregabalin ever, but I have a pretty hefty gabapentin script every month, and it's genuinely one of my favorite daily things. At least with gabapentin titrating it is the way to go to get enough in your system, oddly enough for me it's very 'notes of Phenibut' and mild amphetamine. I can go to work and put my output at like 70 percent and just go all night.

Ive heard pregabalin is stronger too, so I wonder if that might be a viable upgrade for someone that likes the gabapentinoids

Only 20min of tossing and turning before falling asleep ? Shit I’d call that lucky…I don’t even feel like I actually sleep, I mean I wake up in the morning but it feels like I’m awake all night

Yeah 20 minutes to fall asleep sounds like a dream come true. If I just get into bed and immediately try to sleep, it can easily take 2 hours, and I'll wake up several times and never feel like I slept deeply. Unless I take etizolam/a benzo, or am just super tired. I eventually discovered a way to sleep pretty consistently, which is to put an app on my phone and PC called f.lux that slowly removes all of the blue spectrum of the light from the screen as it turns into night, and, more importantly, I read in bed until my eyelids feel droopy and I can barely stay awake, then lean over and turn off the light without getting up. When I do this, I will fall asleep almost instantly and stay asleep, generally. Although it can take 30 minutes to 2 hours of reading to get tired, but that's cool because I love reading, so it's just a nice part of my day, sometimes the best part.

Anyway, Lyrica loses its magic extraordinarily fast, if you use it too often. Even 2 days in a row, the second day will require twice as much as the first day to get anywhere near as strong as the first day. Leaving a few days to a week between doses, you can keep your dose low and get the amazing effects that it has with no tolerance, every time. Actually even a few days isn't enough if you plan to make a pattern out of it. If you take it daily or even near-daily, it will basically entirely stop working before long. I guess, from what I understand, the pain-killing effects can continue after the other effects stop, so some people are on a fairly low dose daily for stuff like fibromyalgia. But generally, it is an unsuitable drug for regular use.

My strategy for sleeping is what I described above, and when I need an extra boost, I take 25mg of doxylamine (Unisom), or even 50mg. I find it works for sleep much better than diphenhydramine or any other OTC sleep aid. I occasionally use a benzo, which works like a light switch, far better than anything else, but obviously you need to be extremely careful with that. Another thing that works pretty well is clonidine, 0.2mg (2 of the 0.1mg pills). It doesn't actually make me feel tired, but it calms my body down and if I am trying to sleep, it will make it way easier to fall asleep. During periods of time when I have had a lot of trouble falling asleep (more than usual), I will do a rotation of the 3 (benzo, next night doxylamine, next night clonidine, repeat - and all with reading in bed until I get sleepy).

removes all of the blue spectrum of the light from the screen
Since I acquired that android projector I notice my eyes do not get as "tired" or irritated when streaming before bed. I do fall asleep faster and sleep better, I think. The pre-sleep eye strain has def been done away with at my place. When I visit SO and watch the reg TV the eye issues pick back up. TBF I have had and do have my eyes glue to some type of screen for over half of my woke time.