• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Lunchtime food/salad ideas?

Lies, healthy food tastes way better than a greasy hamburger or frenchfries or some horrible abomination of fried hog lips and newspaper shreddings (ie. fast food)

Ok boy genius then why don't fast food establishments sell all healthy salads and shit instead of these greasy burgers and french fries??

*ding ding*

"um, because they'd be outta business in no time because people(esp Americans) love clogging their arteries with greasy, fatty foods?"

"That's right Johnny!! Let's see what you've won!!"

Why be afraid of fat in the first place? It's way, way better than refined starch. As long as you watch total calorie intake, roughly.

Bought salad dressings are full of shit anyway, so this would be much better for you with respect to nasty additives anyway. There's nothing nasty in a salad dress made of yoghurt, garlic, seasoning and cheese so don't really think it's a problems and they OP said he was looking to be healthy after a period of eating a lot of food so it's a good way to cut out a few calories.

I completely agree with you though, lots of low fat food just has those things replaced with a load of nasty chemicals and oddly refined food so i tend to avoid them.

Ok boy genius then why don't fast food establishments sell all healthy salads and shit instead of these greasy burgers and french fries??

*ding ding*

"um, because they'd be outta business in no time because people(esp Americans) love clogging their arteries with greasy, fatty foods?"

"That's right Johnny!! Let's see what you've won!!"

uhm... did you ever think of the fact that ingredients in fast food are exponentially cheaper than fresh organic fruits and veggies? also you would have to constantly be shipping fresh fruits and veggies because they dont have the shelf life of the ingredients in fast food today which leads to a lot of money spent, meaning high prices for the food...

I think a huge part of the deal is the availability and cost, there are fast food restaurants all over every town, and they have dollar menus, which cater to low socio-economic peoples, which is the majority of the population so no wonder its so profitable and popular... i really dont think it takes a boy genius to figure that out.

im not arguing that fat doesnt taste good good, it does, i am arguing that healthy food tastes good as well.. it seems that Americans cant figure out how to make a delicious meal without dumping a bunch of butter/pork fat in it... id know, as an american.

seriously though you should get out and try more foods, there are so many cultures that make delicious foods that dont have to rely on fat for flavor, your palate and body will thank you for it.

uhm... did you ever think of the fact that ingredients in fast food are exponentially cheaper than fresh organic fruits and veggies? also you would have to constantly be shipping fresh fruits and veggies because they dont have the shelf life of the ingredients in fast food today which leads to a lot of money spent, meaning high prices for the food...

I think a huge part of the deal is the availability and cost, there are fast food restaurants all over every town, and they have dollar menus, which cater to low socio-economic peoples, which is the majority of the population so no wonder its so profitable and popular... i really dont think it takes a boy genius to figure that out.

im not arguing that fat doesnt taste good good, it does, i am arguing that healthy food tastes good as well.. it seems that Americans cant figure out how to make a delicious meal without dumping a bunch of butter/pork fat in it... id know, as an american.

seriously though you should get out and try more foods, there are so many cultures that make delicious foods that dont have to rely on fat for flavor, your palate and body will thank you for it.

Fat is not really the culprit. Hydrogenated&saturated fat, carbs and salt are, imo.

A lo-carb hi-fat diet is not unhealthy as long as you get fat from vegetables etc instead of junk oils.

But I agree with what you're basically saying :)

I make this big and have a few salads from it so I will just include the ingredients-
Bell Peppers
Onions
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Feta
Olive Oil
A LITTLE salt and black pepper

And of course just cucumber, red onion and tomato with olive oil or vinegar and oil is yummy.

True. But if the demand was great enough, they'd do it. If people stopped eating the fat, greasy shit and said "we're not going to eat there until you start selling all healthy shit" they'd switch over pretty fuckin fast.

But they know that isn't going to happen, so they're never going to have to worry about that problem.

There are some *health stores* that get shipped fresh fruit and veggies and that's all they sell. Just eliminating the trans fat all these fast food joints act as if they made a HUUGE step!! We are a nation of fatties, and that's not going to change Student.

"Gimme a quater pounder with cheese with a superize fry and coke"

What do you all think of equipment like a rice cooker? Does anyone have one and do you use it? I am tempted to get one to try to eat healthier but not sure if it would be another waste of space.

^How exactly does a rice cooker work? I've always just cooked it on the stove..

rice cookers are nice, if u like to use rice in your meals often that is... if i were you, and i didnt use a lot of rice with my meals i would wait on the rice cooker and just use a pot for a while till you see if its something you would really use.

You can use no fat greek yoghurt with parmesan and garlic to make an approximation of a caesar dressing that is actually very tasty and less fatty.

Thanks, I'll definitely try this!

I had some mayonnaise left over so I've been using that in small amounts mixed with parsley, garlic chives and onion to make for a very tasty dressing (until its used up) but will definitely try your far healthier recommendation.

I've been generally using whatever is in the fridge (pastrami, ham, tuna) inside a pitta bread mixed with salad from the garden (beetroot, chard, lettuce). Very nice. :)

I make this big and have a few salads from it so I will just include the ingredients-
Bell Peppers
Onions
Tomatoes
Cucumber
Feta
Olive Oil
A LITTLE salt and black pepper

And of course just cucumber, red onion and tomato with olive oil or vinegar and oil is yummy.

gonna try this but add a tad of chicken to it, add a few fresh serrano peppers im growing, and try it out. I will save a little extra for a fajita the next day. I will try it with monteray jack cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce.

Use spinach instead of lettuce. It's much healthier for you. Lettuce doesn't really have any nutritional value. I don't think spinach tastes as good as lettuce, but with dressing and fixinings it tastes fine.

Try a dressing with avocado, low-fat plain yogurt, a bunch of herbs, fresh lime, etc. It won't be an oil-based dressing and does contain some fat, but avocadoes contain good fat. Also, make a peanut-based dressing - just do some research for healthy ones! :)

I also recommend making MORE food at dinner time (a variety of healthy dishes) so that you have stuff to take to work with you. For example, I'll make delicious pork loin, chicken breasts, fish, etc. for dinner, with an extra large salad so we have leftovers. Try different recipes like this one:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-and-Rice-Salad-2369

Just don't cook it with rice. I make the salad alone - such a nice combination with any meat you want! If you need the rice, use brown rice, of course! A little preparation goes a long way - that way, you don't need to eat canned meat all the time (yuck) or get bored with your salads. Explore the Internet for new recipes - you can always adapt them if they contain bad ingredients! Whoever said healthy food doesn't taste good - hogwash! It's ALL about how you cook it and what spices you use. I like to use different cookware, too: steamer, crockpot, bake, grill...mix it up!

Oh, and healthy snacks. With some extra snacks spread out over the day (little cheese nibbles, cherry tomatoes, can of tomato juice, cucumber slices, meat and lettuce roll-ups, etc.), you won't even miss crappy carb-filled lunches! I don't feel hungry until after I come home from the gym after work now.

Oh, and for dressings, the food processor is your friend; hope you have one! :)

swap your caesar dressing for olive oil and balsamic vinegar
subsitute fat free greek yogurt for mayo
stop eating white carbs (ie bread, pasta, rice)

Try one of these salads..always pack 'em with fiber (beans) and protein (meat, soy)
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutr...m_mmc=Newsletter-_-2009_Jul_3-_-Dose-_-readon

Oooh yes quinoa! There is one in that link.
Don't forget a salad does not have to have lettuce in it.

Ohhhohohohohhhhhhhhhhhhh those look yummy! /bookmarked

Thanks PI! :)

Okay I'm done now. Sorry thread.

wild baby rocket (or fresh wild rocket) salad with parmesan and balsamic reduction (not too sweet one tho)
asian salad (lettuce, a little onion, tini bit of red cabbage, white cabbage, onion, carrot + pinch crunchy noodles and asian dressing made from a cook book (usually has some corriander and stuff in it)
tomato, mozzzarella, basil salad with little bit of good quality olive oil,
cooked and raw veggie salads with lemon juice or balsamic, normal or reduction

i tend to use more lemon or balsamic dressing with my salads and veggies as creamy dressings and pre-made dressings from the supermarket are very fattening or high cal and oiley