• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD visuals?

For me the visuals and overall mental processes of ald52, 1p , and lsd25 has been dealing with the recurring thought "how tiny and how much you can break things apart into isolated separate entities that can be dissected endlessly.

Most of you have a massive tolerance, I think that's just that.
Those who have been addicted to opiates for years rarely return to feel the pleasure they provide once they return after a prolonged withdrawal.
I'm not saying you're addicted to psychedelics, that's absurd, but it's possible that there's some kind of downward count of the receptors involved in the visual hallucinations or something like that, I do not know.

I know someone in my city who took 100ug of LSD with 47 years old and literally his world melted everywhere, which shows that it is not age.

DocLad

I'm not sure it's all due to tolerance. Perhaps once you've gained enough experience with psychedelics, the novelty aspect of having visuals will inevitably fade? Personally speaking, the focus of my trips has over the years primarily turned to the headspace itself. I don't spend as much time exploring the visual distortions, which are still there, only not as novel or attractive (in fact, I sometimes find them to be distracting from the real issues I want to explore). I took a decent dose of excellent LSD last weekend and although the potential for intense visuals was there, my attention shifted to more abstract thinking. When I came back from the depths, however, I noticed the walls were still morphing.

this GIF is a surprisingly accurate depiction of LSD visuals for me:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...-_MQQ1nzXlSzOF8T4=&vet=1&docid=YNPh4YY_gdOH3M
Lately I've also been seeing DMT-like mandala entities hovering above me on acid, usually in the very first part of the trip.

If you get used to the visual effects you can focus your mind on other things because you somehow get used to it, I understand that as some kind of tolerance. I have felt it myself. The first few times I took psychedelics the visual hallucinations were so surprising that I was overwhelmed. Over time, I have become accustomed to the breathing of objects and color changes, which allows me to enjoy other things. I understand this as a kind of psychological tolerance or something, it is obviously inevitable and not necessarily counterproductive. I do not mean tolerance as something negative, but as a fact.

I do not know how often you take psychedelics, but I have found that taking 2 or 3 times in a month is very different than taking 2 times in a year. I particularly prefer the second option, honestly.
The trip feels stronger and new, and somehow I relate it to tolerance.

DocLad

Most of you have a massive tolerance, I think that's just that.
Those who have been addicted to opiates for years rarely return to feel the pleasure they provide once they return after a prolonged withdrawal.
I'm not saying you're addicted to psychedelics, that's absurd, but it's possible that there's some kind of downward count of the receptors involved in the visual hallucinations or something like that, I do not know.

I know someone in my city who took 100ug of LSD with 47 years old and literally his world melted everywhere, which shows that it is not age.

DocLad

Yeah, I tend to think we create a new normal or a different baseline. Our minds adapt.
I don't think most of us see reality most of the time anyway. Our minds filter out the clutter and we no longer "see' it...maybe.

I only get archetypal acid visuals at night after several years of use on and off, including a few binges.

I'm not sure it's all due to tolerance. Perhaps once you've gained enough experience with psychedelics, the novelty aspect of having visuals will inevitably fade? Personally speaking, the focus of my trips has over the years primarily turned to the headspace itself. I don't spend as much time exploring the visual distortions, which are still there, only not as novel or attractive (in fact, I sometimes find them to be distracting from the real issues I want to explore). I took a decent dose of excellent LSD last weekend and although the potential for intense visuals was there, my attention shifted to more abstract thinking. When I came back from the depths, however, I noticed the walls were still morphing.

Lately I've also been seeing DMT-like mandala entities hovering above me on acid, usually in the very first part of the trip.

Exactly, I can relate to this. The mind and headspace becomes much more the focus of the trip, than the novelty of visuals and hallucinations.

On my side, the fun thing with LSD is definitely the +++ trips with amazing ego deaths and all the other mental aspects. Of course a few mind blowing morphing, synaesthesia and hallucinations here and there might still be amazing, but fractals and color trails? Nah, that's kindergarten stuff to me.

Exactly, I can relate to this. The mind and headspace becomes much more the focus of the trip, than the novelty of visuals and hallucinations.

On my side, the fun thing with LSD is definitely the +++ trips with amazing ego deaths and all the other mental aspects. Of course a few mind blowing morphing, synaesthesia and hallucinations here and there might still be amazing, but fractals and color trails? Nah, that's kindergarten stuff to me.

I know that in this forum some people have a lot of experience with drugs, for my part, I'm not even close to having so much experience or accumulating so many trips. I do not intend to take psychedelics constantly, or any other substance, but I respect everyone doing what seems right to them.

I think people have lost the intensity of visual effects through some mechanism that involves the receptors responsible for hallucinations, but what I say is nothing new.
Tolerance accumulates when we abuse drugs and it is very difficult to return to its initial point, I would say it is almost impossible. I've lived it myself with Alcohol and Cannabis. Alcohol is less euphoric and of shorter duration, while cannabis makes me feel dysphoric and paranoid. I know it has been because I have abused them to a great extent for years and it seems that my brain has made some "tweaks" that prevent me from enjoying as when I started to consume.

I remember that on my last mushroom trip (I took 3 times that month) the visual effects were diminished and I experienced deeper and more complex internal states, but if I am honest, they did not have much transcendental value during the following weeks and this is precisely the type of lasting effect that I look for in psychedelics.
After these experiences I decided to condition my psychedelic route, now I prefer to travel less times and concentrate more on working what I experienced once I land.
Personally, what I like most about psychedelics is the afterglow, and I have noticed that this effect is seriously affected when tolerance increases.

In my humble opinion, visual effects are a wonderful part of the main effects of psychedelics, at least for me and my wife.
We do not like the idea that hallucinations are an irrelevant or boring effect, in fact, This was one of the reasons that has led us to take psychedelics less frequently.
If someone here has taken LSD or other psychedelics a hundred times and continues with a high consumption pattern, they will surely not agree with me because they will have different tastes and preferences, but I think we can not deny that there is a tolerance caused by structural changes in our mind. I think it's obvious.

For you maybe the color changes and the fractals are from the kindergarten, well, there is no doubt that you have a lot of experience and want to reach new challenges. In my case, these visual effects are very valuable and I want to keep my curiosity and my attention on them for a long time, for this reason my consumption patterns are very sporadic.

For the death of the ego I prefer to consume dissociative drugs but obviously everything depends on the personal preferences of each one.

It is an interesting topic and I would like to hear more opinions.

DocLad

Last edited:
Doclad you bring up some valid points, maybe there's is a tolerance as you say on the 5HT2a receptor, kind of like how MDMA affects serotonin receptors and makes you "lose the magic". Don't get me wrong, visuals can be enjoyable and part of the experience. I just think psychedelics has deeper things to offer than it's shallow visuals.

May I also add that from my point of view: subjective tolerance has more to do with average intensity rather than average frequency as to whether or not, you can enjoy the more common assets of a psychedelic trip.

Doclad you bring up some valid points, maybe there's is a tolerance as you say on the 5HT2a receptor, kind of like how MDMA affects serotonin receptors and makes you "lose the magic". Don't get me wrong, visuals can be enjoyable and part of the experience. I just think psychedelics has deeper things to offer than it's shallow visuals.

May I also add that from my point of view: subjective tolerance has more to do with average intensity rather than average frequency as to whether or not, you can enjoy the more common assets of a psychedelic trip.

The "loss of magic" of MDMA came to mind as a clear example.

For me, a psychedelic experience is much more than visual effects, obviously. But when someone mentions the visual effects as "superficial" or "boring," I quickly think that that person needs a break to be able to appreciate those nuances again.

DocLad

....I just think psychedelics has deeper things to offer than it's shallow visuals....

How much DMT have you done? "shallow" visuals? If you think that the only profound part of a trip is in your head you are missing out.
Some of my most the profound parts of my DMT trips have been the visual aspects.

Try a 250-300mg IM injection of DMT fumarate and then tell me if it feels like "kindergarten" to you.
Don't get me wrong, I like the heady part of most psychedelics, but I also like interacting with entities and "beings" from other planes and seeing them makes for a much richer interaction, IMO.
So don't think because I have yet to try any 2C's that i am a noob to tripping. You'd do well to remember that I was checking out "fractals and color trails" before you ever drew a breath.

How much DMT have you done? "shallow" visuals? If you think that the only profound part of a trip is in your head you are missing out.
Some of my most the profound parts of my DMT trips have been the visual aspects.

Try a 250-300mg IM injection of DMT fumarate and then tell me if it feels like "kindergarten" to you.
Don't get me wrong, I like the heady part of most psychedelics, but I also like interacting with entities and "beings" from other planes and seeing them makes for a much richer interaction, IMO.
So don't think because I have yet to try any 2C's that i am a noob to tripping. You'd do well to remember that I was checking out "fractals and color trails" before you ever drew a breath.

Please, let no one try an IV dose of 300mg of DMT Fumarate. Have we gone crazy? Is this a kind of contest to see who goes the furthest?

No one should need a huge dose of DMT to fully enjoy the visual effects provided by psychedelics. These are the tips that should be avoided in a forum like this.

DocLad

Visuals are a huge part of the psychedelic experience. It shouldn't be this visuals versus mind fuck thing, they both compliment each other and IMO would be nowhere nearly as novel of an experience without each other. I find my experiences to be the most profound when the visual aspect and mental aspect are in sync and relating to each other, like my thoughts are influencing my visuals or my visuals are influencing my thoughts. Not to mention the interaction between music and the visual aspect is one of my favorite things about LSD (and possible the reason why I've felt my visuals haven't been very profound on trips where there isn't much music going on).

A psychedelic that is just going to destroy my mind and not have much or any visual effect, or vice versa, just doesn't sound very fun to me. There is certainly a balance to be found.

I understand a lot of newbies are just after pretty colors (albeit they will soon learn their lesson if they get reckless going for this effect, I sure did), but a lot of veterans discount the profoundness of the visual effects. I'm always drawn to psychedelics that have a strong visual component.

I hope you realize IV'ing is dangerous and not something that's sought after on these boards. C'mon man, I don't look down on you if you haven't done 2Cx. Since you are experienced with psychedelics and seem to be into IV'ing drugs, you will most likely find it underwhelming. By the way, I didn't meant to trigger you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

DMT is something I would be open to experience, mostly for it's spiritual awakening potential similar to LSD. Not sure how it's visuals compares to say 25x-Nbomes or 2Cx. But, if you are into the eye candy aspect of psychedelics as much as the headspace, that's totally fine; more props to you.

On my next trip. I will try to focus more on the visuals, who knows maybe I will learn to enjoy more what it has to offer.

Visuals are a huge part of the psychedelic experience. It shouldn't be this visuals versus mind fuck thing, they both compliment each other and IMO would be nowhere nearly as novel of an experience without each other. I find my experiences to be the most profound when the visual aspect and mental aspect are in sync and relating to each other, like my thoughts are influencing my visuals or my visuals are influencing my thoughts. Not to mention the interaction between music and the visual aspect is one of my favorite things about LSD (and possible the reason why I've felt my visuals haven't been very profound on trips where there isn't much music going on).

A psychedelic that is just going to destroy my mind and not have much or any visual effect, or vice versa, just doesn't sound very fun to me. There is certainly a balance to be found.

I understand a lot of newbies are just after pretty colors (albeit they will soon learn their lesson if they get reckless going for this effect, I sure did), but a lot of veterans discount the profoundness of the visual effects. I'm always drawn to psychedelics that have a strong visual component.

I'm not very experience with LSD and only recently did I have a trip with what I assume to be LSD. On my trip I found the most unpleasant part was the feeling that my visuals were fighting with my mental space. Like If I was moving around or not thinking too hard everything was fine, but if I sat down for even a second to collect my thoughts the visuals would begin dominating my field of view and I felt I had to keep walking around just to see where I was. I felt like all my senses were overloading and I just wanted to lay down and close my eyes, but I was at a concert so that wasn't happening. After that concert there was a terrible ringing that lasted through the rest of the trip and people's voices sounded like they were filtered through mud although I assume this was probably just a result loud music.

yours is a classic description of visual layers collecting; unless you move around, everything becomes compounded, if you do move, it is still compounded, but the newest visual moments are clearest and give a good sense of where you are "now"

He said 250-300mg IM of DMT, not IV. Still a huge dose though, but IM is much less potent than IV.

I liked your opinion Hilopsilo.

He said 250-300mg IM of DMT, not IV. Still a huge dose though, but IM is much less potent than IV.

Xorkoth, you're right. My language is Spanish and when I do the translations in the Google translator sometimes these things happen.

Anyway, 80mg of oral DMT was overwhelming for me. 250-300mg IM? Well, hahaha, hey ... under what conditions do you need that dose to achieve a good DMT trip? It's ridiculous, unless your tolerance is in the clouds or the purity of the DMT is terrible.
Then the newbies come to read the forum and have these crazy ideas...it is not a starting point for harm reduction.

DocLad

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't do that much, but remember that when taken orally, it is potentiated by the MAOI you have to also take. Some people have very high natural tolerances, or very high tolerance from frequently dosing psychedelics.

But you're right, for those reading this and trying to research a good dose, I would certainly say to start much lower than that. Always start low and raise your dose if necessary in subsequent trips, with any psychedelic (or any drug for that matter).

I'm not very experience with LSD and only recently did I have a trip with what I assume to be LSD. On my trip I found the most unpleasant part was the feeling that my visuals were fighting with my mental space. Like If I was moving around or not thinking too hard everything was fine, but if I sat down for even a second to collect my thoughts the visuals would begin dominating my field of view and I felt I had to keep walking around just to see where I was. I felt like all my senses were overloading and I just wanted to lay down and close my eyes, but I was at a concert so that wasn't happening. After that concert there was a terrible ringing that lasted through the rest of the trip and people's voices sounded like they were filtered through mud although I assume this was probably just a result loud music.

Earplugs are key!

99% of the time I take LSD its at some sort of musical event. Sunglasses and earplugs are essentials in this environment. If you go to a lot of events with loud music, investing in a nice pair of earplugs is great idea; more protection and better sound quality.