View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD Self Therapy

HowWhatWhenWhy

Greenlighter
Hi everyone I'm looking for some advice.

I have started using LSD as a therapeutic tool. I have a clinical perfectionism disorder which gives me anxiety, sometimes depression and a lot of other bad things I am trying to work out.

I have used LSD three times (110ui) now to get used to the psychedelic experience. I very much enjoyed each of my trips and gained some personal insights into them.

When not tripping I am following a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy but I have not yet tried this while tripping.

Do you guys think it would be useful to go this deep into my problem while on a trip or perhaps to just stay with what I'm doing, generally thinking about my issues and seeing what arises?

I found with my last trips I feel great afterwards for a week or so then it wears off. I guess this is the afterglow though. I am making serious efforts to integrate any insights I have, doing lots of thinking and writing and trying to build new habits.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can make these sessions more beneficial? Perhaps upping the dosage? Maybe some thought exercises to do while on the trip?

I really appreciate any advice.

Thank you

I'm hesitant to encourage viewing self-guided tripping as therapeutic in a clinical sense - it doesn't sound like you have any intention of reading it this way, but that sort of advice might be misread by others as "stop going to professional therapy sessions and drop acid at home instead!" So just as a clear disclaimer: I would only ever recommend psychedelic psychotherapy, particularly of the self-guided variety, as a supplement to more traditional approaches, not an alternative.

Now that that's out of the way... I actually went through a CBT-based group therapy program quite recently. I used MDMA a couple times during and immediately after that program and found it very helpful as a way to process my experiences in therapy and reflect on some of the emotional insights that sober CBT techniques led me to. I haven't yet thrown LSD into the mix, but I can definitely see a light to moderate dose LSD trip as potentially valuable as well.

I would probably not recommend delving into any really raw or intense issues while tripping alone - probably not the best way to, for example, try and process a traumatic memory of childhood abuse. It might be helpful, but it also might be a recipe for a really intense bad trip that will only make it more difficult and painful to work through the issue later. A lot of less intense applications of CBT methods could be valuable, though:

* Mindfulness / diaphragmatic breathing: I think a lot of experienced trippers probably do these or something very similar to these while tripping already, in the form of meditation. This could be a useful addition to any tripper's arsenal, even when tripping for purely recreational reasons; if you have the presence of mind to ask yourself what you are currently thinking, feeling, and experiencing, it can be a great way to help break out of unpleasant thought loops or just 'ground' yourself a bit if things are getting overwhelming. And since LSD's effects have a funny way of manifesting wherever you direct your attention, a mindful tripper can sort of guide the direction of the trip simply by directing one's awareness to certain thoughts or feelings.

* Identifying primary vs. secondary emotions: this is a lot harder to do when you're still actively immersed in the emotional experience you're trying to analyze. Again, steer away from intense/traumatic issues, but if you're trying to make sense of your emotional reactions to a certain everyday situation, tripping might give you that critical distance from your everyday state of mind that you need to see what is really going on emotionally.

* Opposite action: you mentioned perfectionism which produces anxiety - so how about trying to practice a skill or hobby while tripping, and letting the end result take whatever shape feels right at the time without worrying about whether you followed some plan or applied some technique perfectly or not? It might be easier to be comfortable doing something imperfectly when you have the "excuse" that you're tripping. For example, if your perfectionism sometimes takes the form of writer's block (you don't want to make any mistakes or write something that doesn't fully express your mastery of the subject matter, which makes it hard to get started writing anything at all - I know I've frequently had this problem), try writing stream-of-consciousness.

* Cognitive defusion / reframing: if there's one thing psychedelics are known for, it's causing you to look at things in a new way. Sometimes a nonsensical new way, sometimes an insightful one, but different in some way or another. If there's a particular idea or chain of thoughts that you've been struggling to move past in your sober therapy, think about it while tripping and see if that changes what you see as true, meaningful, important, etc. It may help to clearly write out the particular thoughts or subjects you want to work on, how you think/feel about them normally while sober, and what you want to change about your thoughts/feelings/actions. On a similar note, if you have any behavioral habits/tendencies that you are struggling to understand the source of, and you find yourself doing them while tripping, you may find it easier to figure out what was going through your mind while you did it. I often find things that my sober self takes very seriously to be silly and amusing while tripping, and sometimes that's exactly what is needed.

I wouldn't recommend pushing the dose up too high - IMHO, this sort of use of psychedelics is really best at fairly low doses. If your thoughts are *too* altered, you will both find it harder to do any of the above steps and harder to remember any insights you reach during the trip once you sober up again. I think the most helpful thing you could do would be to plan out some of the above ideas and maybe write yourself a to do list of sorts to remind yourself what to do next while tripping.

See a therapist or counselor for your issues. Don't take LSD or try to do therapy on your own while on drugs.

there is a lot to be said about the subject. i don't think psychedelics are a panacea for mental issues, but they can be a tool... we'd have to get into it detailedly. personally, the following:

* Cognitive defusion / reframing: if there's one thing psychedelics are known for, it's causing you to look at things in a new way. Sometimes a nonsensical new way, sometimes an insightful one, but different in some way or another. If there's a particular idea or chain of thoughts that you've been struggling to move past in your sober therapy, think about it while tripping and see if that changes what you see as true, meaningful, important, etc. It may help to clearly write out the particular thoughts or subjects you want to work on, how you think/feel about them normally while sober, and what you want to change about your thoughts/feelings/actions. On a similar note, if you have any behavioral habits/tendencies that you are struggling to understand the source of, and you find yourself doing them while tripping, you may find it easier to figure out what was going through your mind while you did it. I often find things that my sober self takes very seriously to be silly and amusing while tripping, and sometimes that's exactly what is needed.

i find that low doses are amazing for this. going through something (thinking about it, doing it) while tripping always makes you see it from a different angle. you don't wanna be tripping too hard though, otherwise anything you get out of it might not make sense when sober. i find just-past-threshold doses best for these kind of things, 'functional tripping' whatever. doses where you'd still be able to draw or write something that would make sense when sober. btw have you tried drawing while tripping jesus christ it is amazing, i swear to god i draw infinitely better on a low dose of acid.

but then it is up to your sober self (this is important) to follow through and make the change you saw was necessary when tripping.

aside from that, i find that (i don't know why) tripping inherently makes me feel more 'alive' and in touch with myself. often we forget we're alive and it is up to us to make the change we want to see and tripping always reminds me of that without me having to think about it. that and it does make me more mindful and present in the present moment...

well, whatever, good luck

Heck, with LSD I used to go beyond self therapy and practice all out spiritual yoga (becoming closer to union or yoking with the divine).

I would also second (or third) the recommendations of low doses for stuff like this. It's sort of like a mental lubricant in the same way alcohol is a social lubricant. I have some bad perfectionism and subsequent anxiety too and low doses have helped to reframe it in what feels to be a clear way. Of course sometimes the drugs make me more anxious and worried about the future/past but that's to be expected. Best of luck with your anxiety, OP.