View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD MAJOR effects on my friend who isn't the same ever since...need help

N

Need help

Ok to make a long story short I was smoking with 2 of my friends and one of them was acting really strange...speaking differently, saying unusual things, and was acting unusual and nothing like his normal self. After we smoked he decided to mess with me a little bit (I get paranoid sometimes when I'm high, especially when I'm driving around) by stopping in the middle of the road, slamming his breaks, pretending to go through stop signs, reversing in the middle of the road, etc. Funny for him because me and my friend were freaking out, but not funny because we had paraphernalia in the car and I actually felt in danger.

I talked to one of his friends on the phone who said he did acid a few days back and was acting super strange ever since. Me and my friends are worried about him, he's being mad weird and I'm honestly afraid his brain is fried permanently.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks in advance

I've had 2 friends that are predisposed to mental illness act very weird after doing psychedelics. One did LSD quite a few times and the other was doing MDA daily. How many times has your friend done acid? IME you have to do psychedelics excessively before any noticeable psychosis occurs. My one friend on acid freaked out and became a born-again christian (probably because his Dad became christian after his wife/friend's mother died). The other friend ran out his house with his mom chasing him and went to the psych ward for a few days. Both of them are fine in the end, but my one friend was permanently changed as he became religious and started a new life with new friends. You may want to suggest with a concerned friend approach that he never use psychedelics again. Given a few days time he should be fine. Both of my friends were fine in the end, but they haven't used psychedelics since.

LSD will not fry your brain. period

No, but LSD can catalyze the onset of dormant mental illnesses. LSD does not fry the brain or create mental illness, but it can bring out mental illness in those that are predisposed. In other words, if you go crazy on acid, you would have gone crazy eventually, the acid just brought it out sooner.

Although lsd wont 'fry' your brain, it is possible he's still experiencing some lingering effects. Do you know how many days its been? How much acid did he take, 1 hit? 12?

In other words, if you go crazy on acid, you would have gone crazy eventually, the acid just brought it out sooner.
I'm not sure that that's necessarily the case, it seems possible that there might be some people with latent mental health issues that never manifest themselves.

That's true I meant probably would have gone crazy eventually, al though I don't think anyone could ever know if their latent mental health issues never manifested. Under certain circumstances we are all probably predisposed to some form of mental illness! But those that go crazy on acid are probably a lot more predisposed than others and there is a good chance something else they would encounter later in life could trigger it.

Last edited:
your friend will be fine, give him time

i know its true... but ive always wondered... how can you prove acid doesnt cause mental illness? cuz its like they get the mental illness how would you know if it was because they were predisposed?

schizophrenia is all heredity - acid can bring out the symptoms of mental illness, but from what my doctors have told me - it cannot actually bring on the illness, it only magnifies it temporarily..

Judging from your incident in the car I'd say your worry stems from him sort of losing his ground. LSD does tend to effect the way someone relates to their everyday reality. After you see all the things you take so seriously day to day from a cosmic perspective you can sort of lose it, it's easy for everything to become a big joke, or to get detached. I've only dabbled with what could potentially evolve into psychosis/schizophrenic perspective, but this was after a month+ LSD binge.

I've found that more than anything else, persistent anxiety in the form of mental hypochondria tends to exacerbate mental illness and instability. Your friend should be fine in a little while, but if it really starts concerning you have an honest talk with him. I wouldn't recommend the 'concerned friend' approach as someone else suggested, as that may reinforce whatever beliefs he may have that something is actually wrong with his head. Instead, talk to him as you would ordinarily, without an agenda. Make a joke of it. Bring his behavior to his attention without making a big hype.

Overall, it seems like both you and him need to give it some time, the psychedelic experience lasts longer than the time of blatant effects of the chemical. Integration is key.

I've had 2 friends that are predisposed to mental illness act very weird after doing psychedelics. One did LSD quite a few times and the other was doing MDA daily. How many times has your friend done acid? IME you have to do psychedelics excessively before any noticeable psychosis occurs. My one friend on acid freaked out and became a born-again christian (probably because his Dad became christian after his wife/friend's mother died). The other friend ran out his house with his mom chasing him and went to the psych ward for a few days. Both of them are fine in the end, but my one friend was permanently changed as he became religious and started a new life with new friends. You may want to suggest with a concerned friend approach that he never use psychedelics again. Given a few days time he should be fine. Both of my friends were fine in the end, but they haven't used psychedelics since.

Some recreational drugs, LSD among them, are known to precipitate mania in persons with certain mood disorders such as bipolar disorder or schizoaffective disorder. It is entirely possible that this friend may be predisposed to certain mental health issues, or has a mental health issue, even though he may have no known family history of mental illness. Sometimes the history is there, but it isn't known. Things like mood disorders, if the symptoms never become serious enough to warrant an inpatient hospitalization, can get swept under the rug by families and become forgotten. It's just too easy to say that a relative is or was "just moody" or "very irritable". Mania usually presents itself at first as extreme irritability and a direct departure from a person's normal behavior.

Hopefully this friend will return to normal after a short while. I wouldn't advise hanging out with this person again if he continues to behave like this. Of course, the reason for him acting like this could be due to any number of reasons, but I thought it might be helpful to shed some light on the mental health aspect of things.

I agree that this friend should avoid recreational drugs if he is experiencing such a shift in behavior directly following the use of a psychedelic.

ive never had anyone act like that even ON lsd.but its clearly possible. the "everythings a joke" phenomenon is something im familiar with. but some of that car shit sounds moronic. he may have learned something about himself (that he dont give a fuck) and is trying to show you the way or some shit. but hes not expressing any empathy by endangering you all despite your requests that he not do so.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This kid was a very normal kid, had a 3.8 GPA in Engineering at a major state university. It has been 6 days since his trip. I do not know how much he took but as far as I know it was his first trip ever and first experience with psychedelics.

Is there a certain #of days that after it passes I should seek medical help?

Depends how serious the situation is.

If he is a considerable threat to himself or anyone else, still acting reckless like when you mentioned he was driving, then he should most definitely seek medical help right away as he might need anti-psychotics for a while.

If he recognizes that the situation is severe and not improving than, naturally, he should seek medical help right away.

If he seems to be most definitely improving to the point that the situation is not severe at this point, then you should see if he is completely back to normal within a week after the acid trip. You only said yesterday that he did the acid a few days back, so no one here knows how long ago the trip was. If he is not fine enough within a week since the trip that he and other people recognize there's something wrong, then he should seek medical help right away.

i think you and your friends should talk to him, dont freak him out, and give him time. try layin off the marijuana...

d-st0ner is right. If he smokes marijuana regularly and is predisposed to mental illness, this will make it MUCH WORSE than if he was not smoking marijuana. Marijuana does have some psychedelic qualities, and if someone is already experiencing "HPPD-like" or psychotic symptoms from the ingestion of a psychedelic, marijuana is going to make it twice as bad.

From your little anecdote, it sounds like he might have just been fucking around with you guys... Granted he was being irresponsible, it's possible that it was a misunderstanding (for example, you blew the situation out of proportion because you guys were so high, or he was just being an irresponsible idiot and it didn't have to do with his LSD experience, or maybe he successfully "fucked with you" because you were high and just made it seem like he was nuts).

Or maybe you are right and something DID happen to him to trigger a psychotic episode/state. I would just do further investigating...why don't you call him and have a conversation with him (not about this) just to assess his state.

Last edited: