View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD + high proof alcohol - why?

ros18167

Greenlighter
Why is LSD mixed with high proof alcohol when the higher the proof the quicker it evaporates? (and therefore the less drops you are left with)

Im getting some crystal and already have some 95% vodka (so a similar proof to Everclear)

Sorry if this is an idiotic question

Can anyone help? I have the option to use a 63% rum or a 95% vodka which should i go for?
I always read about lsd being mixed with ethanol or everclear before it is laid or put into vials. What is the advantage of this?

I would avoid dark liquors, I've heard of people having degradation issues with them. Honestly, and I'm no expert, I'm fairly certain some 40% vodka would be perfectly fine.

Now, if you're going to lay blotter, 95% is preferred because it will evaporate quicker and cleaner, leaving less water and residue behind.

A few things:

- firstly, I don't think it's a bad question at all. :)

- It is a general preservation rule to not use pure water for any drug solution because water will spoil. With at least 15% or so alcohol it won't. 20% to be sure, any higher is just not necessary.

- In some situations water has relatively annoying 'sticky' / messy properties to a chemist and alcohol can be much superior. While in this case it is not really relevant because they will bother to crystallize it as an end-product, some types of chemical processing have left me with ethanolic (alcoholic) solutions of drugs for basically that reason.

OP... When it does evaporate, somewhat, you are left with a more concentrated drop.
Solipsis is right you know, the alcohol % should be lower then Everclears 95%..

you can buy 95% percent vodka? my state banned grain alcohol sales to "curb college binge drinking" Really need something besides isopropyl to do some extractions with.

I have bad experiences with dark liquors, always go with the liquor that has the least extra stuff in it which would always be something like vodka if there is no everclear. Dilute with distilled / deionized water (freely available for flatirons etc) if you want to limit evaporation... and get a nice small vial that closes well and doesn't leave a huge volume of air open... that way less vapor develops and gets out.

Fortunately I have pure lab-grade alcohol (again) now, I don't really care if it evaps with my etizolam solution. Well pure meaning nearly pure because the last few % of water are very hard to get out by normal means (azeotrope). It's funny, the label says both "FOR EXTERNAL USE" closely followed by "meant for preparations of oral administrations".
So I guess only for the outside of my mouth then ay?

So demineralised water is a bad idea if you want to lay blotters?

^Very, I imagine it would have a horrible evaporation point compared with grain alcohol.

you can buy 95% percent vodka? my state banned grain alcohol sales to "curb college binge drinking" Really need something besides isopropyl to do some extractions with.
That's a bummer. In the two southern states I've lived in, 95% alcohol is at every liquor store. Last time I bought some, the guy was like, "You're not gonna take shots of that are you?" I just said no, didn't say I was using it for some hash tinctures %)

Last edited: