Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

LSD could help alcoholics stop drinking, AA founder believed

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Guardian

Amelia Hill
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 23 August 2012 18.37 BST

With reader comments

The co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) believed LSD could be used to cure alcoholics and credited the drug with helping his own recovery from often debilitating depression, according to new research.

About 20 years after setting up the Ohio-based sobriety movement in 1935, Bill Wilson came to believe that LSD could help "cynical alcoholics" achieve a "spiritual awakening" and start on the path to recovery.

The discovery that Wilson considered using the drug as an aid to recovery for addicts was made by Don Lattin, author of a book to be published in October by the University of California Press, entitled Distilled Spirits.

Lattin found letters and documents revealing that Wilson at first struggled with the idea that one drug could be used to overcome addiction to another. LSD, which was first synthesised in 1938, is a non-addictive drug that alters thought processes and can inspire spiritual experiences. Wilson thought initially the substance could help others understand the alcohol-induced hallucinations experienced by addicts, and that it might terrify drinkers into changing their ways.

But after his first acid trip, at the Veterans Administration (VA) hospital in Los Angeles on 29 August 1956, Wilson began to believe it was insight, not terror, that could help alcoholics recover.

More...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/aug/23/lsd-help-alcoholics-theory

I'm assuming most of us already knew that and studies since the 50's have backed this claim but it's good to hear the co-founder of a mainstream addiction help group has embraced this.

Not quite true that this author "discovered" this info while writing his book, well, maybe he did, but others "discovered" this decades ago. It is pretty common knowledge. When I was being forced to go to 12 step meetings I enjoyed trying to discuss such with die hards. You can see the wheels turning, squirming. . .

I knew he saw the light or a light in some spiritual awakening experience but this is news to me about that experience being induced by LSD!