View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

lsd and seizures

Lithorb

Bluelighter
Can the ingestion of lsd lead to seizures or is that uncommon? I just want to find out all the negative aspects before I take lsd and what to look out for.

have you had seizures before and are you on medicaton for seizures? Or is this just a random fear that you have. If you are already epileptic then seizures can be triggered by stress. If the trip is stressful it may be possible although I have friends who are epileptic and have not had seizures triggered this way. If you are not already epileptic it should not make youthat way.

Well, I had two seizures in my life, one was I dont know from what, but the second one I belibe was from excess drinking. I take medication now because the doctors say there is some irregular brain patterns in my brain. But if I was epileptic, I think I would have had seizures all my life. But they occured just in high school. I think stress is what caused them. And now I take depakote just in case.

I've heard reports of people who have had no history of mental illness or seizures have a seizure under the influence of LSD. I'm kind of skeptical of this and believe that what these people took was not acid but rather a research chemical(5-meo-amt possibly?). These people might also have had a latent form of epilepsy for which there may be no signs and the LSD brought it forth. Does anyone know if acid reduces the threshold for seizures as does an alcohol come down? This might be one indirect cause but I don't think acid itself would a direct cause.

epilepsy is irregular brain patterns. and you can grow out of it but you still are prone to having one. they are most common in your adolescent years.

stay away from flashing lights, man.......... dont let them fuck which yo' brain

not all epileptics are effected by flashing lights, and there are many different types of (epilepsies).

Flashing lights have no effect on me, and I think this was like a one time deal. I mean I tripped on mush before and smoked a shit load of weed and drank a lot even when on my medicine. SO according to the doctors if stimulation of the brai causes seizures, I shoudl have had numerous seizures, but I havent.

I was going to start a topic on this as well. Me and my buddy tripped a week ago on some good blotter and the day after, he claims he had a seizure. He has absolutely no background of having seizures for any reason. I wasn't there, but when he went into detail and it sounded pretty intense. He said his whole body tensed up in a sort of uncontrollable spasm. I've eaten acid many times and I've never had a seizure, but it does kind of worry me.

Synto said:
I was going to start a topic on this as well. Me and my buddy tripped a week ago on some good blotter and the day after, he claims he had a seizure. He has absolutely no background of having seizures for any reason. I wasn't there, but when he went into detail and it sounded pretty intense. He said his whole body tensed up in a sort of uncontrollable spasm. I've eaten acid many times and I've never had a seizure, but it does kind of worry me.

You tripped with him? Or did you split up at some point? My guess is if he was around other people when he had this seizure he probably would have ended up in the hospital which is probably where he should have gone if he had one as seizures can be quite a bad thing. I have not heard of many people having seizures under the influence of acid. If acid was the direct cause of the seizures then I believe people who take extremely high doses would probably have them on a much higher frequency. If anything I'm guessing it causes something dormant to come forward. So if your family has a history of epilepsy or something similar you should probably be careful around all psychedelics.

I found this small Q/A on erowid they may help ease some of your worries. Though it relates to shrooms there is something said about acid.
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=2837

Panic attacks can easily be mistaken for seizures. I've thought that I've seizured in bad trips, but I found out later that this was unlikely.

I had a seizure on acid once, only took a total of one hit of paper. the first 1/2 was taken about 3-4 hours before the 2nd 1/2. I was at club arc in nyc (which will be closing shortly), had been going all night just fine (great trip! great visuals! no bad vibes whatsoever!!!) And then out of nowhere i woke up at the bottom of a flight of stairs wiht some security dude sitting next to me, my boyfriend telling me i needed to try and stand up, and my other friends looking on...i had no recollection of what had happened

i was told the story a little bit later: we were all dancing and partying and out of nowhere my friends looked over and i was on the ground having a grand mal seizure....violently shaking, foaming at the mouth, the whole deal. i have NO history of a seizure disorder, this wasn't the first time i had taken acid at a party, and it came completely out of blue!! the only thing i can blame it on are the REALLY intense strobes that arc has. i recently went back for another party and couldnt stay more than 3 hours b/c the strobes were making me dizzy and faint...and i was sober that night.

so yes...brain overload (esp. the sensory overload you have regardless of your surroundings when you drop acid) can cause a seizure. had i not been tripping, the seizure wouldn't ahve happened. but i was, and i seized, and DAMN i was sore for a week.

Siezures are not common if you are sure your ingesting the real thing. Come into the trip with a calm and open mind and dont over do it, im sure you'll have a great experience.

You need to realize guys there is actually no sutch thing as epilepsy. Its just a term for people who have a lower seizure threshold. Everyone has a seizure threshold, epileptics are just that ppl have lower theshold than others so even if you dont have "epilepsy" you can still be susceptible to seizures. Some drugs just lower diffrent ppl's theshold levels.

True.... but the term epeleptic is a label for people with the lower seizure thresholds.. Therefore epilepsy is real.

LSD has been known to cause seizures, most of the reasoning behind this is unconcious material being expressed in physical symptoms.

A lot of the work done during the 60s lead researchers to believe that inducing controlled seizures and vomiting had a beneficial effect on the outcome of LSD sessions held in controlled environments.

I have. And no, a tonic-clonic seizure is not the faintest bit like any kind of panic attack, severe or otherwise.

Everytime you have a seizure, your threshold gets just a little lower. So even after 15 years, I'm still spinning odds. There *were* other factors, but none of them had managed to cause seizure activity up till or since that time.

I don't mean to be harsh, Lithorb, but if I were you I wouldn't touch whatever crap you can get your hands on these days that they're calling LSD with a ten-foot pole, wearing latex gloves and a gas mask.

wtf i am reading sooooo many reports of people having seizures with mushrooms and acid, both here and on the shroomery and even on erowid. it can't be attributed to research chemicals or isolated incodents, its far too common from what ive seen. why is this not part of the traditional literature on psychedelic drugs? why people say they are safe? from all the reports of seizures ive seen in the past year just from browing forums like this one, i have now completely changed my mind about psychedelic drugs being physiologically safe and i am no longer even sure i want to try lsd. can anyone tell me im wrong or should not try acid ? if there is any real risk of a seizure i dont want to take that risk.

violent seizure like activity is actually very common in LSD psychotherapy using high doses, eyeshades and music. It is not the drug that is doing it to you- it is your own mind.

When there is a lot of psychological tension in a person and they take some LSD- the long pent up energy finally can find an outlet to be released. Vomiting, severe suffocation, intense physical pain, painful tics, and violent seizure like activity among others, are common outlets for the excessive mental tension to finally be released.

This dramatic release of tension (called Catharsis) helps people achieve a more peaceful state of existence in thier everyday life, which of course is fucking awesome in my opinion.

There is a link with LSD and lowering of the seizure threshold but it is tentative. In LSD Psychotherapy Grof mentions that he would refuse treating patients with any history of epilepsy. I'll find the page reference for you soon.

There is evidence that LSD is associated with bursts of hypersynchronous activity (Shwarz, 1956 and Monroe, 1957) that while not clearly pathological, will be significant for the subjective experience of the drug. Increased "coupling" between different areas of the brain was actually posited as a theory of the action of hallucinogens (again I can get a reference for you tomorrow).

In sum, I'm not sure if LSD lowers seizure threshold but I'm very interested to find out - hence why I've searched out this thread. I do know that temporal lobe epileptic pateints given LSD were reminded of the "aura" characteristic of their condition (Balestrieri, date?).