View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Low doses of DXM as a smart drug / antidepressant

bluedolphin

Bluelight Crew
I've been sick a lot lately, so I've been using both Q-Tussin and Tussin DM to help the cold symptoms.

I already know that in psychedelic / dissociative doses DXM can increase the power of the mind (like telepathic coincidences, increased musical ability, greater understanding of math, etc) as well as making me very content (though not euphoric) while tripping.

Every day that I've taken a swig of Tussin (probably not more than 25mg DXM per swig) I've noticed a few things...

First, I have a bit more energy. This is to be expected, as it is typical of first plateau DXM "trips" as well.

Second, I'm mentally sharper, and therefore much better at speaking up in class. Being a pothead, my thoughts often present themselves in a much less perfect form when I try to talk, but on theraputic doses of DXM I don't have this trouble at all.

Third, it seems to work as a mild antidepressant. This might just be because I'm happy to be feeling a bit smarter though.

What do you think? I've been using Lecithin for a few weeks, and at first it seemed to work, but now its either stopped working or I'm no longer falling for the placebo effect. At any rate, low doses of DXM seem to work far better than Lecithin ever did as a smart drug.

You're not the first to come up with the idea's for low doses for theraputic effects off DXM.

DXM is an SSRI in low recreational doses, like certain prescription drugs like paxil or zoloft. Where the impact of serotonin re-uptake begins at a milligram a day dose, I dont know, but I imagine it should take no more then 100 milligrams.

I would really like studies done on the low doses of DXM daily and it's effects on the human mind, depression, mental clarity and such. It just seems like since DXM is an SSRI, why havent scientists activalley sought it out to be thereputic in low doses? We have this drug which can produce many beneficial effects to the human psyche yet I dont see much in advancing it's potential for alleviating depression.

Oh, and one more thing ... the after glow of DXM ... YOU JUST CANT GET ANY MORE FRIENDLIER, HUMBLE AND GENUINELY HAPPY AND REFRESHED. Ahhh.

bd - I have literally a 'box' full of DexAlone 15 mg dxm caps. After reading this, I think I would like to try popping 2 right when I wake up (5/7 days = school) and see what happens. This good?
and the Lecithin... how much help did it seem to give you for those couple weeks, and looking back, how % positive are you it was real and not placebo?

I personally find DXM to be pretty mind numbing in any dosage. This isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed past trips with it, but I think it is too damaging to do with an regularity. I too have been sick and drinking cough syrup, and it certainly hasn't made my thinking any clearer. Granted my cold may be masking the affects mentioned above, but I certainly haven't noticed them although it sure would be nice...

yeah, idont trust the shit... even though i gots a bottle this morning...LOL

I agree, bluedolphin. I too have experienced an increased comprehension of mathematics while on a low dose of DXM.

When I first tried DXM 2 years back, i somehow ended up doing my math homework. I never did my math homework back then! It wasn't just increased comprehension of the subject, but also I had this feeling that i had to get it done.

It's not just for math homework, but for housechores as well. I used to complain about chores, but as soon as I finished my homework, my mom asked me to rake the leaves. I did it without any complaining and once again experienced that drive to get the job done, no matter how bored or tired I was.

As for the AD effect, i find that low doses are great for happiness - Not through euphoria, but through the understanding that certain problems that normally get you down in everyday life are not problems if you don't let them be. I've learned alot about my life from both low and high doses of DXM. High doses generally leave you feeling burnt out after the trip ( in my case, it led to severe depression and anxiety) but low doses leave you feeling refresefd.

dude, schizo... didnt u used to hav that bouncing ball as ur icon... change it back, it always made me feel happy... (wow, im stoned)

^^ i thought it just annoyed everyone.

You'll probably change your mind when you come down.

yes, not only dxm, but just about all psychadelic sacraments. they tend to open new areas in your brain and really make you look at how ridiculous your insecurities are,,,psychadelic drugs have done more good for me than zoloft or any other anti-depressent...

Ketamine does the same thing for me in low doses. The afterglow of some intense trips seem to give me mindpower. But, after a day or 2 the 'glow' wears off and I feel dumb as a fucking brick for a while. I don't think its worth taking an NMDA antagonist for intelligence, it will backfire. I will take k for dissociation occasionally if anything

^^
I've read that low doses of DXM may actually be neuroprotective.

How do you think it will backfire?

I'm quite sure my effects are not placebo. They are too obvious and directly related to how much cough syrup I chug (obviously at medicinal, not tripping doses).

Potential antidepressant activity of sigma ligands
Pol J Pharmacol. 2003 Nov-Dec;55(6):923-34
Despite many years' studies of antidepressant drugs (ADs), their mechanism of action still remains unclear. Recently, it has been postulated that substances capable of reducing neurotransmission at the NMDA complex may represent a new class of ADs. Since several ADs have a high affinity for sigma receptors, the sigma binding site may be a relevant mechanism in antidepressant action. Moreover, sigma ligands are able to modulate the activity of the central neurotransmitter systems, including noradrenergic, serotonergic, dopaminergic and glutamatergic (NMDA) ones, which are seemingly important for the mechanism of action of known ADs. The existence of at least two different subtypes of sigma receptors, denoted sigma(1) and sigma(2) is now widely accepted. The selective agonists of both sigma receptor subtypes are available at present. In particular, a potential antidepressant activity of sigma(1) receptor agonists has been postulated, since the antidepressive-like actions of these compounds have been shown in animal models. This article reviews the findings related to potential antidepressant activity of new, selective sigma ligands.
---
PubMed Abstract
---
peace,
Nitin

No need to start a new thread, it's an old one but hey.

I've read some interesting things about low dose dxm being 'like another drug' & i'm quite curious about how low doses, say 30/60 mg, may benefit my rather bleak mood of late.

low doses & hopefully keep this thread alive with some peoples experiences with low dose dxm be it for opiate potentiation, neuroprotection, psychedelic purposes, cough supression, depression, pain etc etc.

Last edited:
i haven't read this thread in full, but an aquanintance has experimented segniffcantly with this drug, as well as MDMA/street E, and marijuana, in coping with severe depression and recovering from alcholism. this individual is a large male, with a substantial tolerence to the drug, so his method should probably not be used by others. he drinks a large bottle of delsym, and if nessescary, supplements this with doses around 300 mg every 6-8 hours or so. by so doing, the subject is able to obtain effects similar to that of MDMA, in maintaining a positive mood and energy level, along with a substantial buzz, thorughout the day, and serving as an as-needed, on-demand anti depressant. he would not nessicarily recomend this, and would chose MDMA over it if given the choice, as DXM regime is more impairing, but it helps that DXM is legal.

it is also worth noting for any who are unaware that dxm goes very well with marijuana.

I would imagine 100mg per day or so would potentially work well as an AD. I always thought I had better cognitive function the day after tripping but that could have been the "glow" talking. Energy, mood, etc was where I would like it to be everyday. Just felt good. I'm unsure if a real trip is required to feel the glow the following day or a low dose on its own would equal that head space? If that makes sense.

DXM does make a good antidepressant... for a while. If you take it for too long, you're liable to get brain zaps & nausea when it comes time to quit, due to DXM's SRI/SSRI properties. This happened to me last year, and it was no picnic! I had been taking between 40 mg to 120 mg every two days, with the occasional higher dose. I kept this up for about seven solid months.

While I don't think my DXM regimen has negatively impacted my intelligence per-say, I do feel much less inspired about anything as of late. I simply have little drive to do much at all. This is probably just an aspect of my long-standing depression reasserting itself.

I agree, bluedolphin. I too have experienced an increased comprehension of mathematics while on a low dose of DXM.

When I first tried DXM 2 years back, i somehow ended up doing my math homework. I never did my math homework back then! It wasn't just increased comprehension of the subject, but also I had this feeling that i had to get it done.

It's not just for math homework, but for housechores as well. I used to complain about chores, but as soon as I finished my homework, my mom asked me to rake the leaves. I did it without any complaining and once again experienced that drive to get the job done, no matter how bored or tired I was.

As for the AD effect, i find that low doses are great for happiness - Not through euphoria, but through the understanding that certain problems that normally get you down in everyday life are not problems if you don't let them be. I've learned alot about my life from both low and high doses of DXM. High doses generally leave you feeling burnt out after the trip ( in my case, it led to severe depression and anxiety) but low doses leave you feeling refresefd.

Before I knew better I used to do Coricidin, and after that period I hated DXM. One time I drank a 30mg dose, a therapeutic dose because I was sick and was coughing. I woke up the next morning feeling totally brain dead. I went into my abstract algebra 400-level college course and there was a quiz, I turned in a blank sheet of paper because I absolutely could not think AT ALL. Since then I have had low-dose DXM a few more times, years later, and while it doesn't make me brain dead it certainly makes me less coherent and less able to hold on to my thoughts.

dextromethorphan as anti-depressant

You're not the first to come up with the idea's for low doses for theraputic effects off DXM.

DXM is an SSRI in low recreational doses, like certain prescription drugs like paxil or zoloft. Where the impact of serotonin re-uptake begins at a milligram a day dose, I dont know, but I imagine it should take no more then 100 mi
I would really like studies done on the low doses of DXM daily and it's effects on the human mind, depression, mental clarity and such. It just seems like since DXM is an SSRI, why havent scientists activalley sought it out to be thereputic in low doses? We have this drug which can produce many beneficial effects to the human psyche yet I dont see much in advancing it's potential for alleviating depression.

Oh, and one more thing ... the after glow of DXM ... YOU JUST CANT GET ANY MORE FRIENDLIER, HUMBLE AND GENUINELY HAPPY AND REFRESHED. Ahhh.

Yes, the medical profession really must start looking at this substance as an effective anti-depressant. If someone were on the brink of suicide and were to be given a dose of 100mg, that person within one hour would be in a happy mood, willing to live again and happy to see people again. It has been put into a medicine called "Nuedexta." It should be made into a medicine of its very own. It would do wonders for the depressed.