• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos lorazepam amnesic ????

deos68

Bluelighter
i used to respond well to ativan for anxiety etc
but after a while i would literally get to the point where i would walk into a room and not remember wtf i was going in there for
i quit taking it ans switched back to alprazolam
i found my bottle of what i have left of ativan but again i did good for about 2 days on it
then again amnesic effects all over again

this happen to anyone else?
xanax, valium and klonopin doesnt do that to me only ativan

most if not all benzos have a amnesiac effect it just comes with territory. maybe try a lower dose. what dose are you are?

Yes - I'm very much the same as you deos68.

Lorazepam/Ativan used to give me anterograde amnesia 'the day after' - I used to use it mainly for sleep, and PRN for occasional flares of GAD.

Alprazolam/Xanax, Diazepam/Valium, and Clonazepam/Klonopin were all fine on that front for me.

Just out of interest: Have you ever taken Etizolam? As that's another one that gives me particularly bad anterograde amnesia too, worse than Lorazepam at an equipotent dose.

most if not all benzos have a amnesiac effect it just comes with territory. maybe try a lower dose. what dose are you are?

.5mg i know every benzo has some extent of fucking with your memory but ativan is the only one that takes the cake

Yes - I'm very much the same as you deos68.

Lorazepam/Ativan used to give me anterograde amnesia 'the day after' - I used to use it mainly for sleep, and PRN for occasional flares of GAD.

Alprazolam/Xanax, Diazepam/Valium, and Clonazepam/Klonopin were all fine on that front for me.

Just out of interest: Have you ever taken Etizolam? As that's another one that gives me particularly bad anterograde amnesia too, worse than Lorazepam at an equipotent dose.

no never taken that only the 4 most common used benzos in the us which is xanax, ativan, valium and klonopin
yeah i was one of those assholes saying naaw "this one doesnt work give me another"

yes exactly the next day little memory loss then the day after that using it continuously it would get worse and worse

i used to respond well to ativan for anxiety etc
but after a while i would literally get to the point where i would walk into a room and not remember wtf i was going in there for
i quit taking it ans switched back to alprazolam
i found my bottle of what i have left of ativan but again i did good for about 2 days on it
then again amnesic effects all over again

this happen to anyone else?
xanax, valium and klonopin doesnt do that to me only ativan

Lorazepam is generally the most amnestic benzo after midazolam. It's pretty bad. I lost whole seasons of memory when I was on it. No good.

no never taken that only the 4 most common used benzos in the us which is xanax, ativan, valium and klonopin
yeah i was one of those assholes saying naaw "this one doesnt work give me another"

yes exactly the next day little memory loss then the day after that using it continuously it would get worse and worse

I was fortunate enough to have a very open and forward-thinking consultant Psychiatrist. We knew that Benzodiazepines worked for acute bouts of anxiety but we didn't know what one would work best. We went through a list of about a dozen and ruled out ones that he felt wouldn't be appropriate (such as Temazepam) and shortlisted 4 that we felt would be most appropriate - which just so happened to be the classic top 4, but I guess they're top for a reason. He then he wrote me a prescription for 5x tablets of Diazepam/Lorazepam/Alprazolam/Clonazepam so I could trial them over the next 4 weeks and see what worked best for me. The guy at the pharmacy thought the prescription was fake so had to call my consultant to confirm it was written by him :p

Most consultant psychiatrists just wouldn't be open to doing something like that... it turned out that good old Diazepam scored the highest out of all of them for me so from thereon we knew what medication worked be best for me to use. It actually makes perfect sense to try something when you think about it, but most doctors are stuck in their ways and just wouldn't consider it.

Man, this just baffles me. I find it hard to black out on lorazepam. I've even taken 7.5mg at once while heavily drinking liquor and I still have a decent memory of that night. If I were to take 2 Xanax bars, a couple k-pins, or even 30mg valium by themselves I'd be blacked out for a whole day at least. Must just be a personal thing, because tolerance isn't really an issue for me.

Man, this just baffles me. I find it hard to black out on lorazepam. I've even taken 7.5mg at once while heavily drinking liquor and I still have a decent memory of that night. If I were to take 2 Xanax bars, a couple k-pins, or even 30mg valium by themselves I'd be blacked out for a whole day at least. Must just be a personal thing, because tolerance isn't really an issue for me.

wouldnt say black out i still remember things that happen
more of a short term memory loss
like forgetting random shit
like having a convo with someone then a few hrs later not remembering anything that was said

IMO its tolerance if your're not raising doses.

Benzo tolerance goes by pretty slow, it's almost like the opposite of opiate/opioids. Because the tolerance with opiates, well lets just say even if you give yourself a 4 year break, nope. Right back where started.

Instead of switching to Xanax from Ativan, try a dose raise first, maybe 1mg more. If that doesn't work (which it should because Ativan work great for you as you stated.)

Best of luck!

Last edited:
IMO its tolerance if your're not raising doses.

Benzo tolerance goes by pretty slow, it's almost like the opposite of opiate/opioids. Because the tolerance with opiates, well lets just say even if you give yourself a 4 year break, nope. Right back where started.

Instead of switching to Xanax from Ativan, try a dose raise first, maybe 1mg more. If that doesn't work (which it should because Ativan work great for you as you stated.)

Best of luck!

dont get me wrong ativan works badass at .5mg for no anxiety no nothing 1mg i feel like i downed a 12 pack by myself more slurred speech than anything ha
just the memory loss issues are a bitch and i dont get that way with any other benzo
never did get an explanation from the doc why that was happening i pretty much got prescribed something else right away