• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Loper and extreme muscle weakness

StartedHydro

Bluelighter
I have been using loper now for 6 months. I used it to get off sub and it worked. I now still take 72-140 2mg daily. Ive just now started to notice extreme muscle weakness in that if I carry a 12 pack of coke after about 20 feet my arm starts to shake like crazy mad and my arm turns to jello forced to drop the 12 pack on the spot and im very winded. I quit smoking about 8 months ago. Im 6 foot and 200 lbs and in good shape, 38 yrs old.

Even when having sex if I am holding myself over my wife after 8 secs my arms start shaking like crazy and I cant support my own weight. Has anyone heard anything like this from high dose loper?

Any info would be great!

You are feeling "extreme muscle weakness" because you are having Prolonged QTc intervals, and probably severe cardiac arrythmia's. The signs of these generally are feeling very faint, shortness of breath, severe weakness, paleness (looking ghostly), severe fatigue etc.

High dose loperamide has recently been specifically linked to prolonged QT which then causes the user to have the deadly cardiac arrhythmia known as torsades de pointes (if you are having episodes of this arrhythmia, you aren't going to be alive much longer unless you get off the lope). Have you woken up gasping for air? Do you have any chest pain at all? You might not be able to tell because of the painkilling properties of high dose loperamide. Do you constantly have a cold sweat? Are you pale? Out of breath easily? Is your pulse extremely low in the morning? Check your pulse right now, what is it? Seriously, loperamide in high doses for any length of period is DANGEROUS!!!

High dose loperamide is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and cardiotoxic, and is now being constantly linked with sudden cardiac death caused by its effects on the heart. PLEASE GET OFF IT ASAP IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE!

You are having clear signs of syncope and other things related to severe cardiac problems caused by the lope!

source: https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...learinghouse-password-protected-see-comments/

EDIT: PS. I highly recommend you go to the hospital now, get an ekg and other cardiac tests, explain the high dose loperamide usage so they are aware of what is causing your symptoms, maybe show them the link I posted above. You really need to detox off it asap. And I hate to tell you this but loperamide withdrawals at that high a dose are as bad if not worse then suboxone withdrawals. There is no miracle cure for opiate withdrawal, why did you think loperamide was preventing your withdrawal, it is just another opiate that IS active in high doses with severe health risks.

288mg's of loperamide a day is a seriously high dose, I recommend going to a hospital, and then a detox.

Here is a women that was taking the same dose as you and her account of her sudden cardiac arrest:
https://madmargaret.wordpress.com/2...o-more-part-2-or-happy-2nd-re-birthday-to-me/

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I have at least once or twice a day where I'll have an instant hot flash and break into a huge sweat, lasts 2-4 mins.

I have had no heart issues, that I'm able to sense. On cases of high high doses my heart has felt "odd" skipping beats.

The extreme weakness is awful. My muscles start to tremor and if I'm holding something I drop it because I can't hold it... Even if it's 3lbs.

It has provided me with great energy(mental) and great well-being. My tolerance is high high high cause if I do a 50 bag(once a month) if lucky if I feel it for longer than 2 mins if at all.

Trust me know I'll get sick without it... I've done it once or twice and it's just as awful as every other opiate/iod.

I'll have to just drop down. It's so hard because I become very talkative, motivated, love life. You know the drill... Without it, stay in bed for weeks.

Trust me know I'll get sick without it... I've done it once or twice and it's just as awful as every other opiate/iod.

I'll have to just drop down. It's so hard because I become very talkative, motivated, love life. You know the drill... Without it, stay in bed for weeks.

I'm telling you, you are having cardiac issues causing your symptoms. Arrhythmia's are usually silent killers, so if you don't want to believe me then you don't have to but I was also at one point hooked on high dose lope and had the exact same symptoms, I went to the ER and was having cardiac problems, then I did research on lope and realized what was happening and it scared me shitless so I immediately got off it.

If you wanna play russian roulette with your life then keep it up, but otherwise I'd try to get on suboxone and OFF loperamide immediately. Don't recommend methadone as it can also cause prolonged QT and since you are already experiencing typical symptoms of this, it could also kill you.

I never said I don't believe you... I'm scared shitless right now.

Okay good I thought you may have been downplaying what I said. To an extent I do mean to scare you because it's the wake up call I needed aswell, but now that you are aware you can now take steps to get off it. I wish you strength, I know how hard it is to get off, and I'm glad you made this thread or else you would have never known what was going on.

Good luck, and make sure you don't take any stimulants or anything that can potentiate any arrhythmia's. You can check torsades.net for a list of drugs to absolutely avoid right now while you are at high risk.

The good news is this is a drug induced cardiac issue and once you stop the loperamide your heart will go back to normal, but it's very important that you do stop immediately.

Well if he wasn't having heart issues before this thread he probably is now, lol. Too bad there's not more than just a blog to reference as a source for your claims. Or is there?

I'm not sure.

The muscle weakness thing is awful. I'm in good shape don't smoke and I'm out of breathe and can hardly hold 5 lbs in one arm without shaking like a leaf for longer than 10 secs.

Well if he wasn't having heart issues before this thread he probably is now, lol. Too bad there's not more than just a blog to reference as a source for your claims. Or is there?

My claims? Apparently you didn't see the 15+ medical journals that are linked on that blog which is why I posted it.

“Torsade de Pointes Associated with High‐dose Loperamide Ingestion”
http://www.innovationsincrm.com/car...es-2015/april/704-reply-to-torsade-de-pointes

Ventricular Tachycardia Associated with High-Dose Chronic Loperamide Use
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/phar.1540/abstract

Life-Threatening Arrhythmias Linked to Loperamide Overuse
http://www.empr.com/medical-news/li...-linked-to-loperamide-overuse/article/396218/

Torsade de Pointes Associated with High-dose Loperamide Ingestion
http://www.innovationsincrm.com/car...ssociated-with-high-dose-loperamide-ingestion

Cardiac conduction disturbance after loperamide abuse.
http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medl...onduction_disturbance_after_loperamide_abuse_

Systems Pharmacology of Arrhythmias
". For example, two drugs, dasatinib and loperamide, used
to treat different pathophysiologies, cancer and severe diarrhea can have QT prolongation as
an adverse event and can be connected to the LQTS disease genes through the LQTS
neighborhood"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3068558/pdf/nihms266503.pdf

Please pin, keep your opinions to yourself when you know nothing on the topic.

Last edited:
Hah, man you took my candid question as a smartass comment. I was genuinely curious.

I've seen your warnings in a few threads and I find it to be noble of you to take the time to warn people. I would definitely integrate those sources in to your warnings though since people can be lazy (like me at times) and when they see a link to a blog they won't bother to click. This is important stuff that should be presented as such. Sorry for not doing more homework before responding, I'm on my phone that has only half a working cracked screen so it makes navigation interesting at times, lol. Remember, we're on the same team. Have a fun 4th, cheers mate.

I've seen your warnings in a few threads and I find it to be noble of you to take the time to warn people. I would definitely integrate those sources in to your warnings though since people can be lazy (like me at times) and when they see a link to a blog they won't bother to click. This is important stuff that should be presented as such. Sorry for not doing more homework before responding, I'm on my phone that has only half a working cracked screen so it makes navigation interesting at times, lol. Remember, we're on the same team. Have a fun 4th, cheers mate.

I almost feel likes it my duty because I too was mislead into thinking high dose lope was a benign scapegoat for avoiding withdrawal in between usages, and then I began experiencing similar symptoms as the dude above, and did some more digging on the high dose lope and realized I was essentially poisoning myself and could have dropped dead, I was mortified. I've been off it for 3 months now and feel a million times better and am so lucky I began doing the research at the time I did.

I recall waking up at home a few times deeply gasping for air, completely cold and pale as a ghost, and I knew something was so so wrong. I have no way of confirming this but I believe I was having torsades de pointes arrhythmia's in my sleep and am lucky my heart managed to get back into rhythm to allow me to wake up. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

I also experienced the same severe weakness as this dude, and times where I felt like I was struggling to breath.

And I was only taking 50-100mgs of loperamide per day which I thought was just in the safe zone.

Last edited:
Yeah I've had the gasping for air thing before.

Loper can be crazy strong but misleading in that it's not as pronounced in its effects.

There is no doubt in my mind you can OD on loper, in the usual opioid manner.

Yeah I've had the gasping for air thing before.

Loper can be crazy strong but misleading in that it's not as pronounced in its effects.

There is no doubt in my mind you can OD on loper, in the usual opioid manner.

My understanding is that the gasping for air thing was caused by arrhythmias in my sleep. I've never had anything like it on any other opiate and I've done some hero doses, and I haven't experienced it again since I got off the lope.

No offense but in my opinion taking Buprenorphine for maintenance therapy is much much better than these ultra high Loperamide-Doses, like way above in terms of healthyness and being able to function normally everyday.
I just don't get why so many people here do this :?

No offense but in my opinion taking Buprenorphine for maintenance therapy is much much better than these ultra high Loperamide-Doses, like way above in terms of healthyness and being able to function normally everyday.
I just don't get why so many people here do this :?

Because people recommend it online and it seems like a miracle cure for opiate withdrawal at first. But few people tell you it's just as addictive as any other opiate with very negative health consequences.

I also read about it many times but never gave it a serious thought because I like to pass my bowels daily.
Seriously, one must be pretty naive and/or desperate to do this. Especially when something like Kratom is easily available.

I mean 72-140 2mg Tabs every day? WTF? First the costs are probably much higher than Bupe-Maintenance (in Europe at least) or a Kratom Taper and secondly the chance of ruining your GI tract (impacted bowels and what not) are two major reasons to not do this. I'd be seriously afraid of taking that much anti-diarrhea medicine.

Ok, I am speaking from a point with a relatively small habit but damn, at least with my low dose Bupe I get somewhat of a mini-buzz without risking my shit turning to stone and killing me from the inside...