• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Loosing the magic with LSD, is it possible?

technocat

Bluelighter
I am just wondering if it's possible to loose the "magic" with LSD? I have done LSD about 15-20 times over the last 5 years. It has never really been readily available around my way but now I have access to it whenever I want basically. Everytime I have done it so far it has been a wonderful, brilliant unique experience and I have really enjoyed it. If I do it too much or too often will it just not be the same, just become the same old buzz?? I'm not going to start doing it every week now, but I could see myself doing it every few weeks if I have access to it. I'm asking this because and I'm sure im not alone here, with MDMA the first few times I took it was an amazing experience. Then after a while it just became the same old thing, still good but nothing completely mind blowing. Even when I take long breaks, it still doesn't capture the magic of the first few times. Can the same thing happen with LSD? just don't want to over do it and ruin the buzz like I did with MDMA. Although I do still really enjoy and appreciate MDMA, its not the same as when I started, will the same thing happen with LSD?

Simply put - Yes

I first started dosing around this time last year. I had access to it all the time, and ended up doing it pretty often. I've done it maybe 30 or so times in only a year's time. Around March and April, I was dosing once a week on high doses. At the time, I loved it, but in the end it just diminished the magic it once had. I strongly suggest not taking it more than Once a month. I recommend medium to high doses once a month, as oppose to small low doses more often.

Absolutely, it's not that hard if you trip too frequently. And by that I mean to also trip for less true and pure motives, like eye candy and recreation. Tripping can only remain novel as long as you have fresh life experiences to reflect on. In the beginning there is so so much to see, to learn and experience... but you can't expect to figure it all out by rushing it. That will more likely get you entangled. Integrating the trip is an important part, vital even. All this is why I don't believe you can go on tripping and keeping it special. What stays special?

I now stick to once every 4-6 weeks max, but I guess it can easily be more like 8 weeks. No rush. Only when I feel there is some mental material to work on, so that it actually makes a difference to process emotions and thoughts that have accumulated and feel anew, rebooted, refreshed.

Can it become only a buzz? Well only if you really exaggerate! IME. But before that, you can gradually lose the most profound magic but still have amazing and interesting experiences before it truly starts feeling dull. But at some point, you can start feeling like it just can't contribute anymore in a relevant way and you will probably realize that there is action to be taken, work to be done in your life, things you feel you want to change about your outlook, your habits, your way of life. If for some reason you have a hard time doing that it will mostly feel like a reminder.

All of this I have heard enough people say in similar wording. It's a shame to fall into a gap of having trouble moving forward and having disappointing trips that mostly make you feel that fact all the more in-your-face.

Last edited:
Not to be confused with the lye test:

lye.jpg

Solipsis is spot on. My first trip ended an opiate addiction, my subsequent LSD experiences have all taught me something as well.. I imagine my most recent trips would have been utter failure alone, having a girl who I love more than anyone else on this planet to take LSD with has been an empowering and zesty experience. LSD sex is boss, 2c-b sex is better...... I wouldn't take LSD with just friends again like when I was younger unless I were guiding someone else's first steps into psychedelia. It's very important to have something new and exciting on the activities list for every experience with LSD lest you end up wasting the mindstate trying to get more intense visuals or something shallow like that.. Im jealous though, "losing the magic" is the least of my worries..... Funding the magic, finding the magic, these are the things which usually stop me from imbibing :p

Of course LSD can loose it's magic, I've been dosing for close to nine years now and it's no where near as fun, enlightening or magical. It's just boring, once you get into the hundred hit zone it's all familiar and unsurprising, youcan practically guess what will happen next. The same goes for any substance. I would kill to get the magic of the first hundred trips back. But it's the price we pay. I always wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid I ended up being a pyschonaut.

I kinda burnt out on LSD for a while at one point. At the time I was coming off a really traumatically bad mushroom trip, and didn't want to eat fungus again for a while. LSD was readily available and I didn't have the urge to space trips out like I did with the mushrooms, so I was dropping once a week or more for a few months. After a while LSD started to feel bland. I started tripping mush again at that point because I felt like they had more character than LSD, and I felt like, in spite of the darkness they have to them, mushrooms had more to offer me. Anyway, I didn't exactly stop taking LSD during this time. Eventually I lost my contacts and had only occasional access. When I did take it I generally used it to enhance mushrooms, rather than just to party or whatever.

the first square of chocolate is the most deliciousliciousiciousgoddamnedelicious !

Cheers for the advice guys. I think Solipsis is right it does take a while to process trips, have had some very deep thoughts the last few times and still trying to figure out exactly what they were all about. It's strange though with acid, I always feel like I have unfinished business with it, like I can always go deeper and there's more to find, but I think I should respect it and not over do it. Deal with it one trip at a time, give myself time to process every trip and come to terms with it. Going to do the rest of my trips next weekend anyway then leave it until around Christmas, and treat myself to a nice trippy Christmas present :) really don't want acid to just become a just normal buzz, I like every trip to be deep, fun, unique and try and take something out of it.

I believe with psychedelics in general you can lose the magic, but I am pretty sure you know when that will happen. I trip fairly often (once every 2-3 weeks) and I still have not found what I am looking for I suppose. I mean I use psychedelics to better understand the psyche and in particular how my psyche works, which I now I will never truly understand, but I am sure that my tripping will slowly lessen as the years go by. I mean in my opinion if you have lost the said magic than either you ever entered the psychedelic far to many times, or psychedelics have give you all that they have to give you.

I mean sure they are recreational, fun, colorful, but there is so much more to them. It's not a bad thing to want to just have a fun lovey-dovey trip, but really the meat of these substances comes from the mystique that comes with them. The alien thought patterns, the inner feelings that come to the surface, the unification of ideas that one would not normally make.

Really moral of the story, try and use LSD with moderation ;)

i feel like i kind of did, which is why i havent done acid for about 6 weeks now, and am gonig to try to limit it to once a month. earlier this year i went pretty hard with acid, and was dropping once a week, i even did it twice a week once or twice. the last few times that ive dropped ive felt good and gotten some minor visuals, but it just doesnt have that "wow" effect that my first trips all had.

I wouldn't really calling it losing the 'magic' having had it happen with both wipeouts and psychedelics. With psychedelics, like acid, when you take them for the first time because you are tripping everything appears 'new' again, after a while this stops happening when you trip. For me, I personally prefer it as it allows you do more on acid without feeling uncomfortable. I got this when I tripped at least every week for about a 3 month period.

With the likes of MDMA, the difference is much more significant, you go from a big ball of loving empathy and loving everyone around you to someone with some empathy, jaw gurning and enjoying music/tactile.

I have to respectfully disagree with most of the posters here. When I think of "losing the magic", I think of my experiences with MDMA. After the first 15 or 20 times, it never really felt the same. I've taken years off at a time, and while it's still fun, the magic of those early experiences seems to be gone forever.

I've taken well over a thousand hits of LSD myself, spanning somewhere around 300 trips. The magic is still there. I spent around 5 years in my 20's tripping on a weekly basis. It loses the whole novelty factor after a while, but the power and beauty of the psychedelic experience remains unchanged. The profound realizations and insights still came to me at the right times, whether I was looking for them or not. My life is very different now from what it was in my 20's, but I still trip a few times a year. Every time is as beautiful and as magical as the first time. The difference now is that any potential fear and uncertainty is gone.

I also have to disagree with the concept of waiting for new life experiences between trips. Tim Leary and Terence McKenna both advocated more frequent trips to remain more connected with the psychedelic world. This might not work for everyone, and most people reach a point where they realize it's time to slow down. For me that involved the most profound realization of all. I was tripping alone on a Friday night, listening to music, watching movies, experiencing all the "less true" indulgences I had become accustomed to, when it came to me. The details are deeply personal, but I knew without a doubt that it was time to slow down and trip less frequently. I never lost the magic, though, and I don't expect to in my lifetime.

Also if you think it's time for a break then it is, dont finish of what you have because your in for a ride ha.

I did it on Saturday as i felt i needed a break because it was becoming unspectacular and affecting my life in a negative way. Although i have had so called bad trips before, they have normally only been sections of it and never to the extent of this one. Maybes it was because of the higher than usual dose making the emotions felt stronger and the fact that I had alot more smoke than normal making me more paranoid.

although at the start i was feeling unimpressed and not that into the trip for the most part i was soon this didn't last long and it definitely evolved into one of my most powerful experiences, showing that the magic was still there but confirming that I need to give it a rest for a bit and focus on other parts of my life.

LL

I've only done LSD twice so I can't help. General consensus is that everything is that LSD like everything else gets boring, but this is a thought why doesn't alcohol get boring for the majority of the world then? When I was 13 I remember going on a family holiday and we met a British family who had a son at university. He couldn't stop talking about how awesome alcohol was and all his drunk stories (the one he was most proud of reminded me straight away of the drink safe add we have here in Britain where a guy climbs a scaffolding to reach a balloon dressed as robocop and then slips, falls and dies, his was him dressed as a pimp climbing a lamppost whilst waiting in line to go to a club). Looking back he was a massive prick, but still it begs the question this guy had gotten wrecked every weekend for 2 years and still loved it. I stopped drinking almost entirely when I started using cannabis and progressed onwards, but then I never drank much in the first place because I get nauseous too easily. I really want to meet the guy again to tell him what a douche he is and what he's been missing, that said he seems like the completely wrong person to introduce to drugs, he would contribute to the statistics of deaths caused by drugs that politicians love all too much.

^ time for general rant ?

maybe some people feel they can only stick with what they know, very unsure and uncomfortable about change, as oppose to others with a more adventurous streak. i think this is a reason why LSD works much better for younger generations - they aren't as stuck in their ways, more a blank canvas

but i see what you mean, it does depress me to see people lose their lives to cheap dreams and crap compromises

Absolutely man !!!
for me anyway. . .
the profoundness is what makes it so great . And the profoundness leads to a great EUPHORIA!!! Dont get me wrong, the euphoria is always there kinda, but it does get to a point where its no where near as noticeable .

Also lsd tolerance builds awfully quick so meh yeah you maybe wont be able to loose the magic but to do it again and experience any desired effects youd have to wait a week (or double your dose everytime which is only possible to a certain extent ) and usually more than a week, more than a month when tolerance builds .

Or something fucked up with happen in your mind

WHAT IM SAYING IS EVENTUALLY YOULL NEED TO STOP BECAUSE TOLERANCE OR A MENTAL FUCKUP WILL GET THE BETTER OF YOU !!! LSD TOLERANCE BUILDS FAST YO!!!!

I never had an issue with tolerance when I tripped once a week. I've read that tolerance builds with daily use, but I never had the opportunity or desire to trip every day. I don't consider tolerance to be the same thing as "losing the magic", though, unless the tolerance never goes away.

I don't have any alcohol tolerance, but I lost the magic there a long time ago. The first few times I got drunk were amazingly fun and euphoric, but now I can't stand the feeling of being "drunk". Something inside of me changed; now my perception of effects of alcohol is completely different from what it used to be. I do enjoy the mild relaxation and mild happiness I get with 2 or 3 drinks, but I'll never go back to the days of heavy drinking.

I can relate very heavily to feeling like there's unfinished business with LSD OP. It's a weird phenomena, when you delve into psychedelia enough I feel like each of them almost have their own distinct personality, almost as if the molecules are alive and each have their own little pieces to teach you. It's really bizarre the more I think about it, although I did just take a pretty nice dose last weekend.