• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Looking to treat my social anxiety, any success stories?

Inderal. It's blood pressure medication but it's what kept me off benzos when I came back to my stressful (previously drug using) situation to finish college. It won't hit the mental anguish of anxiety, but it lessens the physical symptoms (skin crawling, jumpiness, high BP, high heart rate) enough that you can deal with the mental yourself. THAT'S how to "cure anxiety, not just cover it up." I speak from experience--I used to be prescribed 20mg Valium and 4mg Xanax /day, but I haven't taken those for panic in over 6 years. Inderal got me through the transition back and now I don't even take that more than 1/month.

If you're seeing a Psychiatrist they should know about the use of beta blockers for anxiety.

This sounds promising, I will definitely have a look into this as for me my physical symptoms really traumatise me from these situations, I realise mentally I have to get used to them. Did you notice any adverse effects and how long did you use them for?

My my wife has social anxiety and use to have to give presentations to large groups of people not daily but every month or so. She would take either a small dose of Klonopin or Xanax and after some time she became more confident and did not need take benzos ever again. I am not advocating you start benzo's but it is possible to use them without becoming addicted.

I wouldn't recommend using them daily, but maybe one a week until you get comfortable. My wife hates pills and won't even take an Advil unless it was completely necessary but her SAD was so bad she had no choice. Now she gets up there still slightly nervous but not paralyzed with fear.

Good luck whith the new job.

This is something I will also consider. I once was facing a social situation that I was really nervous about. I got a klonopin pill from a friend and I just became myself in that situation. It made me feel so good, that finally I could show my true self in front of people, but it also made me sad thinking that I can only do this through a pill. But life is unfair I suppose. Not everyone can be relaxed in every situation. For me, since my SAD is very situational I would want to only take it in extreme situations. I just don't know if you can do that with benzos without any adverse effects, but it seems to have been working for your wife?

Don't take benzos for social anxiety. I went through benzo withdrawal towards the end of last year. It's taken me six months to feel a little bit better, but I still have a ways to go.

Try natural supplements. I suggest magnesium and a vitamin b complex, along with exercise and meditation. After my experience I will never again trust a doctor medicating me. Unless your having debilitating anxiety attacks...just stay away.

Interesting about taking benzos. I have been on a high dose of Valium for 16 years originally prescribed for agoraphobia as SAD.....Then they made me wore after 4-5 years, I was not told it was the Valium making me worse so they put me on Klonopin as well....Again worked wonders to start with but for the past 2 years I have had a job even leaving my own home......So indeed it does seem benzos actually make anxiety worse regarding long term usage......Oh and trying to come off them.....Incredibly hard, still on mine. cant seem to be able to do even the smallest f cuts from my K tabs :(

Don't take benzos for social anxiety. I went through benzo withdrawal towards the end of last year. It's taken me six months to feel a little bit better, but I still have a ways to go.

Try natural supplements. I suggest magnesium and a vitamin b complex, along with exercise and meditation. After my experience I will never again trust a doctor medicating me. Unless your having debilitating anxiety attacks...just stay away.

That's a great idea meditation. Yoga videos at home may also help calm you.

Evey

Last edited:
This is something I will also consider. I once was facing a social situation that I was really nervous about. I got a klonopin pill from a friend and I just became myself in that situation. It made me feel so good, that finally I could show my true self in front of people, but it also made me sad thinking that I can only do this through a pill. But life is unfair I suppose. Not everyone can be relaxed in every situation. For me, since my SAD is very situational I would want to only take it in extreme situations. I just don't know if you can do that with benzos without any adverse effects, but it seems to have been working for your wife?

It has,she would take them sporadically. Now that she has gained some confidence by giving several presentations initially using a benzo she doesn't even think about using a benzo to get up in front of people and talk. She kind of just needed to get over the hump and the benzo's helped her. She then kind a realized that she didn't need a crutch to do it as it became more natural to her.

Of course everybody is different.

That's a great ifea meditation. Yoga videos at home may also help calm you.

Evey

With all due respect I think it is very easy to say to do meditation and yoga to relieve stress and you won't need to take a benzo. When I went through school and had to give presentations and spent my years in the military under extreme tension and stress I never had tontake a benzo, I didn't even know what they were. After serving 10 years in the military and suffering some severe trauma I wasn't able to function without a benzo I tried meditation yoga natural supplements and they did absolutely nothing. The VA prescribed them to me without even explaining to me what they were until I started doing research on my own. Once I realized how much relief I got from my severe anxiety anger rage PTSD etc. I have been on and off them for the past 10 to 12 years. The longest I have taken them has been the last two years daily other than that it is been on for two months off for two months.

It all depends on the person's circumstance if it's some young college or high school kid who is just scared to get up and talk in front of people well I think at times they just have to do it without a crutch. It's called becoming an adult. However there are certain people who have a severe problems when it comes to anxiety which can be crippling and yoga and meditation and all natural supplements arent going to do shit. I am all for natural ways to cure any ailment and I don't mean to be disrespectful but peoples circumstances are different.

The character of benzodiapenes completely changed for me...they used to be highly therapeutic for me, but lately whenever I've had them I've just felt like a soulless zombie, unable to really even feel emotion. I wouldn't be anxious but I'd never be happy while on them. Xanax seems to be the worst when it comes to this phenomenon.

I "have anxiety" and honestly what I've found works best for anxiety is getting out there and realizing how fucking stupid everyone is. And how, if these morons are comfortable showing their faces in public, what do you have to worry about.

I'm not joking. That's pretty much how I got over mine, for the most part. I've gotten over worrying about what other people think, I'm just a stressed out hypochondriac now.

Social anxiety can be severe though...agoraphobia for example seems to me to be a form of social anxiety, and I know that can take on the form of real mental illness

Hi,

For your social anxiety, I'd recommend this combination:

1) Work on your self esteem naturally, workout, have proper hygiene, wear nice clothes, develop talents and share them with others
2) Have regular sex
3) Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep a night
4) Have a good diet plan
5) Be financially stable
6) In terms of substances, I'd recommend clonazepam 2 times a day. One pill in the morning, one pill after 6 or 7 hours after taking your first pill. Start with 2mg a day if you can. You will most likely face some addiction to the substance whether it be physical or psychological and will develop a tolerance. That won't be the end of the world. If you want to stay on it for a long time I recommend you get a prescription and not obtain it illegally. You can always taper off of benzos but it will take some time and might be a bit uncomfortable.

7) Supplement with phenibut. High quality phenibut will make you feel confident, care-free, and energetic. It isn't as addicting as benzos and it is totally legal. I highly recommend it. You need to find a good batch though. It is very cheap and economical, its also legal and it enhances your cognitive abilities a bit as its a nootropic.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck as I've had social anxiety in the past but have mostly gotten over it (i'd say about 70-80% over it).

Also remember, everyone has social anxiety to a degree. Literally everyone, some people barely have it while others have way too much of it, but it should make you feel better knowing that everyone has it to a degree!

Good luck

I have SAD. I use xanax occasionally and it works very well.

Other than that I noticed that small doses of psilocybin also decrease my SAD significantly.

The nice thing about benzo's is: you can use them the first time that you meet new people. Then you take the edge off and any futute contact will be more easy, also in sober state.

I have social anxiety and have also been through years of heavy benzo use. Started as a tiny dose for anxiety and resulted in a massive tolerance and way worse social anxiety as well as generalised anxiety. Each time it gets worse. I first started using meth and then heroin in my teens as it helped me socially, same with alcohol, pot, party drugs, anything.

I would not recommend benzos to my worst enemy, ESPECIALLY if you suffer anxiety. All other suggestions are good, meditation, nutrition, relaxation, yoga......but nothing will work alone and nothing will work straight away like taking a pill, I really believe a combination of practical things like these plus counselling/some kind of therapy to work out exactly why you have the anxiety in the first place. There's always a reason.

I once went to the Er with a massive and debilitating panic attack whilst on only 40mg of valium a day (part way through ongoing taper) and so badly wanted xanax which of course they would not give me. They did give me propanolol (beta blocker) which I thoight would do nothing but it worked wonders and very quickly. I would recommend this over a benzo if you are going to be prescribed a med.

Good luck, I can definitely sympathise, im down to just 20mg valium a day now and my social anxiety is at its all time worst. Benzos have played a massive part in this, please avoid them if you can. Even if you don't go overboard like I and so many others did/do, coming off a small dose still makes it all so much worse.

They work in the short term as a bandaid but will never cure anxiety, and ime, make it worse if anything. Good luck!

Last edited:
I also vote kratom. I am typically anti social but when I take kratom I'm chatty as hell. Good luck, I hope you find something to help you through it.

I have been on 3 mg of Klonopin for the last 2 years and on and of them for some time. The key is don't abuse them. Benzos saved my life, but I have a totally different reason for taking them then most people with SAD or GAD. I want off them some day and know it won't be easy and the taper will be a long one.

I wish exercise yoga etc worked for me.

Good ode luck to anyone with anykind of anxiety disorder, most of the time it either booze or benzos. I chose booze for years until I realized I was just masking my issues.

It all depends on the person's circumstance if it's some young college or high school kid who is just scared to get up and talk in front of people well I think at times they just have to do it without a crutch. It's called becoming an adult. However there are certain people who have a severe problems when it comes to anxiety which can be crippling and yoga and meditation and all natural supplements arent going to do shit. I am all for natural ways to cure any ailment and I don't mean to be disrespectful but peoples circumstances are different.

Completely agree on this. I have done yoga and meditation and it does help me feel mentally good, however, when it comes to certain situations it does not matter, it's as if my brain is just pressning a 'panic' button and within seconds I get all my symptoms.

I also vote kratom. I am typically anti social but when I take kratom I'm chatty as hell. Good luck, I hope you find something to help you through it.

I agree with kratom, too. It's one of the best anxiolytic drugs I've ever come across, really.

It's an opioid drug so it's potentially addictive/habit forming. Any substance you consume to help you cope is going to be potentially habit forming, though, if it WORKS that is, there's just no way around that IMO. personally I've always felt that Kratom WD is very minor, bordering on non-existent, but other people probably respond differently...in any case it's not even remotely in the same ballpark as benzodiazepene WD

It's an opioid drug so it's potentially addictive/habit forming. Any substance you consume to help you cope is going to be potentially habit forming, though, if it WORKS that is, there's just no way around that IMO. personally I've always felt that Kratom WD is very minor, bordering on non-existent, but other people probably respond differently...in any case it's not even remotely in the same ballpark as benzodiazepene WD

I've never heard of it, but I will definitely give it a thought. Is this something your doctor can prescribe to you or how do you get ahold of it?

I haven't read this thread, and maybe I'll go back and read some of it later, but I have some pretty bad social anxiety that I have successfully treated with doses of between 1.0--1.5mgs of Klonopin as needed along with 40mgs of Lexapro daily.

I know many posters here are against the use of benzos and I understand why but i disagree with them, but I'm not going into why now cause i've done it before and it's tiresome.

Although YES I am well aware that the problem has not been "solved" any more than someone who has chronic headaches which might have a cause that isn't being dealt with but they just take Aleve every day, but nevertheless, this solution works for me and I know the risks involved.

But if you want HEALTHIER advice, as I admit benzos aren't the healthiest thing, LOTS of REGULAR exercise, good diet, and little to no caffeine, stimulants or alcohol will work WONDERS for anxiety as well.

Also, expose yourself in MANAGABLE doses to the source of your anxiety and maybe get into meditation and/or hypnosis/autohypnosis.

Oh yes, Kratom is also IMO very effective for social anxiety, so is Phenibut, but both are quite addictive, but so are benzos.

I know I am probably NOT the norm on this opinion, but I'd rather have a daily Klonopin dependency than a daily Kratom dependency.

I could get into the details of WHY but don't feel like it at the moment though I admit OVERALL benzo addiction is generally considered FAR worse than Kratom dependency.

Better not to get PHYSICALLY addicted to EITHER but use them as needed only and not every day.

Phenibut is even MORE addictive and possibly more addictive than benzos, so don't use it more than once every 5-7 days IMO.

It won't be a good solution more than one day a week.