Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Looking after yourself and holding on to scripts for evidence

Halif

Bluelighter
After a few stressful months and some very frustrating interactions within the medical health system, I just thought
it might be useful to note down a simple practice that has helped me. Saved my integrity, in fact. Please use your
own discretion, because as with anything at all, circumstances are everything.

I was outright accused of being a doctor shopper a few days back and I had to control myself and maintain a calm
demeanor, because I was in desperate need of diazpam (which I've been scripted many times from the same clinic) but
my regular GP was not available on weekends. I had a full blown panic attack last Friday night, and as with the last
four or so times, my girlfriend was there to "bring me back". But it's taking a huge toll on her. It broke my heart
when she said "This is killing me. I'm calling an ambulance if it happens again. I can't take it." I had been trying to
tough out valium withdrawals on my own but it was getting worse, not better. So I made an appointment to see a GP
because it was a matter of importance and required assistance ASAP.

The GP I saw was new to me, and the first thing she saw when she opened my file was that awful letter from the
psychiatrist which will not go away, making every GP visit like a trial where I have to defend my innocence. What I
do not appreciate is not been given half a chance to talk about my side. The psych's letter instantly changed this lady
GP's demeanor and she unceremoniously called me a doctor shopper and a liar. She said she felt uncomfortable with
me, and eventually agreed to write a script for 3x5mg diazepam because you could see that I was in a state of extreme
discomfort and struggling for breath. She said that the pyschiatrist had never given me diazepam, after reading his
letter in which he has accused me of abusing benzos and tyring to work the system to get drugs. I have NEVER done
this.

If I want drugs, I get them. I don't need doctors for that.

I told her I had indeed received a valid script for diazepam from the psychiatrist. She didn't look at me or stop reading the letter, she simply said "No you didn;t" which just about broke me. I wanted to shout in anger and disappointment that I would be persecuted without ANY say or chance to explain. So I filled my scipt for 3 valium and returned on Monday to see my regular GP - and here's the critical part... I brought along
every single box of benzos that I've had filled with labels clearly preserved. The psych did indeed script me diaz - double the amount that I usually got from the GP. That's when the tables turned. My regular GP is a reasonable man,
and you could see the conflict on his face, but you can't argue with a genuinely dispensed script. Within seconds he was looking at me in a different way, and he made notes on the computer - ABOUT THE PSYCH!!

"Not good at all" he said shaking his head as he wrote some stuff which hopefully absolves me. I think the letter remains but I have earned back the trust of a decent GP, and a decent man, and after that he spent three times longer than usual, asking and listening in a way he's never done before. I could see the change - he actually believes me now. He restored my diazepam script and we discussed realistic ways to taper down - which is what I want.

He even laughed when he asked how I felt about trying a different psych and I replied: "I wouldn't rule it out, but I'm not in any hurry after the last one". hahaaha! The most deadpan serious GP laughed at the expense of that psychiatrist. I know this is petty, but fuck it, that damning letter and his bizarre unprofessionalism caused me so much trouble.

If you're like me, and don't have any regular GP for more than a few years at a time - I have moved a lot for work and just changes in living arrangements - it can be very hard to find a good GP. Unfortunately, in my experience, there are too many GPs who see themselves as judges and the patient is guilty until they prove themselves innocent. It's enough to make you simply give up adn not go.

My main point is this: Keep the empty packets of anything you are prescribed (this is especially important if they are potential drugs of abuse) and preserve them, because they may be the only thing you have if shit goes wrong. A prescription box with patient name, dispensing doctor's name and date, and location of pharmacy where script was dispensed should be clearly visible.

One packet like that will speak more loudly and help your case more than a million words out of your mouth. In this case it was the turning point. THe psych maintains that he never scripted me diaz, and yet there it is on the bottle.

Suddenly the assumptions were melting and the GP was listening to me and taking me serious, even being concerned that the psych may be dangerous for other clients.

It should not be the case that, in a country whose government encourages people suffering from anxiety and depression seek help in the medical system, many GPs are very, very quick to make snap judgement based on how you look, how old you are, and whatever else. It is very ugly to find out first hand that a patients' word holds less than one tenth the authority of a psychiatrist, or even a regular GP. I have been told repeatedly that I'm lying, without any chance to say anything.

Keep the paperwork, let it speak for itself.

Thanks for reading.

Enjoyed reading your post. Keeping old boxes and scripts can be a godsend. I have lived in North Queensland all my life and have had a regular doctor that I have been seeing here for the good part of 5 years. I pretty much stroll in, ask for him to refill my scripts and discuss my current mental state (General Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive). If everything seems to be going smoothly off I go with my scripts and continue on with daily life. I decided to make a life change and move from NQ to Brisbane the first thing I notcied was finding a doctor who would even look me in the eye and discuss genuinely my needs and condition was impossible.

I had of course had my medical records transferred to the local GP I have began seeing but still this tosser wouldn't give me the meds I needed even with my records sitting in front of him for the previous 5 years. Sure he prescribed me my Venlafaxine for depression but thats it... I didn't have my valium, oxazepam, seroquel, tramal. Nothing. Before I knew it I was out sourcing these meds on the street just to manage anxiety and migraines. Perhaps my choice of location in brisbane that I moved too was bad being that it was Logan. Which is notorious for crime, drug abuse, gangs etc...

Eventually after 4 months of buying these meds via certain online sources and a handful of people I knew in Brisbane I had all my old boxes mailed to me from my parents. Strolled into a doctors surgery in Paddington (upmarket area). Showed my old boxes and scripts, described what it is I use the medications for. Less then 10 minutes later I strolled out of the doctors surgery with what I needed with repeats. I am putting my bad experience in the Logan area down to suspicious doctors being the high rate of drug abuse and crime in the area.

Is there another post that explains what happened with the psych as i am curious? What was the backstory behind this letter he wrote?

^ pretty sure there is, I'll have a quick gander for you.

Good tip.

Glad something went your way for once Halif.

I edited the typo in the title of this thread, hope you don't mind. ;)

Last edited:
That must have been very frustrating for you -there's nothing worse than being treated with unwarranted suspicion. I try to see it from the GPs side as much as possible, because the clinic I go to is extremely busy and also in a high risk area for prescrption drug abuse. I understand how many times a week, maybe per day, that they have to deal with people trying to wrangle a script out of them.

There's a sign of the wall of my clinic saying "Aggressive behaviour is not tolerated at ****** Clinic. Abusive patients will be asked to leave and will not be permitted to return. :) " <yes, it finishes with a smiley face sticker>

My illicit drug use is my own business. I have only ever made my situation worse by revealing the whole truth - that being the years of opiate addiction. Most people don't know about my private addiction because it simply doesn't impact them in any way, and I've never had a person call me out and tell me I looked 'high' or something. I put that down to being a self-medicator who has done a tonne of self-research and really just wants to feel like a normal person with an OK life. I don't take advantage of GPs. I actually feel embarrassed going there now after having that toxic letter stuck on my system file for a few months. I have to prepare for the worst if I can't get my regular GP. More accusations. More explanations falling on death ears and closed minds.

I'd nearly given up on GPs entirely but as I said to the good guy whose trust I earned back yesterday: My very presence here is my attempt at doing this right. It's pretty obvious that I'm dependent on Valium, but last year I spent months lowering the amount of that and other benzos, and I have to stop and say to msyelf: I am actually getting closer. I want the GP to be in for this last leg. I want it to be structure, recorded, acknowledged. Then I will be forced to take it seriously and less likely to throw it all away one evening when I feel like shit.

Last edited:
Glad something went your way for once Halif.

Thanks, and thank you specifically for being really supportive behind the scenes. I won't forget it, Captain B.

Is there another post that explains what happened with the psych as i am curious? What was the backstory behind this letter he wrote?

Here.

Halif, I hope you don't mind me putting in this link. You probably don't like going through this over and over again.lol.

Right..i figured as much thats why i asked about another thread..i glanced through and didnt see it...thanks so much. Halif i feel exactly as you regarding my meds and addiction etc regarding going to the doc etc.

No, I don't mind. I think it needs to there. Thanks Captain B, and thanks to anyone taking an interest. Hopefully something you read will relate to your own situation.

I wish I had able to subdue my emotions somehwat more for the previous posts regarding the situation, however. I was close to being genuinely angry by the psychiatrists behaviour; first I felt he was toying with me by spending up to five minutes of a 30 session which I'd driven over an hour to attend simply talking about the weather. "What;sit like out there?" "I hear it's going to rain later" "Have you seen the weekend forecast?"

At first I thought maybe he's just trying to set a relaxing environment and slow the pace down, but I'm afraid it was entirely inappropriate because I was almost jumping out of my skin with stress, and had strict appoints to make immediately this. So I asked if we could talk about my issues and why I've come here today. This intitiation visibly irritated him.

So much so, infact, that his who personality changed and he took on a scolding tone which had certainly not been present in the first or second session. The final straw, thoug, and the reason I believe he may in fact have some kind of issue (even addiction) himself, was that we then sat down, with 22 minutes remaining on the clock - and he proceeded to ask me the very same questions as on day one and it clicked... he doesn't remember me. It was question after question, all worded the same. For a second I was speechless. Was he playing with me? Or has he actually forgotten me? Doesn't he have notes to refer to? It was vexing, to say the last.

But this line was the last thing he said before I left: So you mentioned that you're taking diazepam? What on earth for?That won't help you at all, it'll just send you round and round in circles..."

Using everyhting I had to stay calm, I replied: YOU scripted me the diazepam last week. It's the only thing you have scripted me.

He seemed to not hear this at all, and changed tack to: Well, I think it's clear that your prospects are not good. You might kill yourself.

Again, I just sat and stared in dis-belief. Literally speechless.

I started to stand and he said "It seems clear that the only realistic path for you is to go onto a methadone programme".

I walked out of his office trying to keep my breathing in check. I didn't turn back or reply to that, but he actually followed me down the steps, repeating, like a hypnotist "methadone, methadone" until I was outo f the building.

One of the strangest experiences I have ever had. And he disregarded my written request to keep all our conversations in his office private, and promptly sent a not very nice letter which paints a picture of an "angry, disturbed, drug addled man, failing to manage long standing major depressive disorder". It also recommended that I not be given benzos as I was an abuser of such drugs. Nowhere does it mention the 50 bottle of Valium he scripted me.

That about the long and short of it :)

Nothing discredits a person more than when they are ranting and angry. It doesn't matter if the frustration is righteous, a ranting nutter turns people away.

Hey Halif, I can relate to that. I have had major shoulder/neck problems for years. Before I was an opiate addict, I dearly needed medication to survive as the pain was bad. I ruined my scapula from doing heavy Shoulder Press and keeping my neck rigid and straight, then during the lifting motion I moved my head and it went. I had tingles in my fingers and arm, as well bad pain down my upper back and my shoulder. On some days I could not move my head properly/freely.

The first doctor I went to (my family GP) told me to straight out, "get out". He said I was too young to have any problems, stop doing exercise and it will be fine. So, I went home. I went to that same doc a second time and told him that I NEED something to lessen the pain, because although it is not a bed-ridden injury on most days, it is annoying and I don't like to feel pain day in day out. He told me that there is nothing he can do, then as I was about to leave, he had the nerve to ask "is there anything else?". lol

I found out about APAP and Ibuprofen. I started to use those and they sort of helped keep the pain under control in some fashion or another. But it was still annoying and if it wanted to, on occasions it would feel like I took no pain medication. I then found the stronger versions with Codeine, and started to use them to better effect. The tingling was still there and the pain was also prevalent, but the pain felt like it was "far away". Sort of like I knew it was obviously aching, but it felt like the medication would put a thick wall between my pain and what I actually feel. Sooner or later they stopped working for the pain, and I end up mixing both APAP+Codeine and Ibuprofen-Codeine to help control the pain. I did not like taking all those pills, everyday, and the pharmacist always warned me that these are not meant for long-term use. If you need them for long-term, you need to see a doctor for medication that is suitable. I once told the pharmacists helper/sales person, that I was indeed taking those pills together, and mate, she had this look in her eyes of fear and acting like she witnessed me murder someone, right then and there. She was like, "you can not combine the two Codeine pills, as it is against the Law, you can't, blah blah..."after consulting the pharmacist, she goes, "you can use these together BUT only one with Codeine, it is against the law. You all know what I was thinking...I felt like smashing her in the face to shock her some more.

I go to a second doctor. This one almost starts jumping up and down, in a reaction that I wanted medication better than these OTC codeine pills. He was like, "the pain you feel is because of the Codeine"...I try explain something "nah, nah, the pain you feel is because of the Codeine". He would not LET ME talk. Nothing. He just kept on cutting me off, then in the end wrote me a script for Panadol OSTEO!!. Lol wtf, it is just higher dose of APAP with a different marketing brand. Daylight robbery. I left. I went back to him and told him, I can not keep on doing this because the pharmacist will not give me anymore medication as I go through packs too quick and they are not meant for long-term use. He is like, "I don't care. The pain is because of Codeine and you are addicted". My last remark was, "I have to keep on using these pills, and I am scared for my liver and kidneys, taking 8 pills of APAP + 6 ibuprofen almost daily (plus the codeine)". His reply was "bad-luck, keep on using those meds then, if you are not going to listen to me". Basically, rather let me kill myself than prescribe something stronger that I can use less of. Another kick out.'

Third doctor. This one is a little more sympathetic and can tell from the way my head was and how I kept on tensing my upper back, as it just felt like weird pain, where I need to tense to try "feel it". I was very uncomfortable. He told me that Codeine is no good and that it is very, very addicting, I will write you a script for Tramadol. I took Tramadol, and I WAS SICK. I had anxiety, I could not sleep at night, I was irritable and just uneasy. I finished almost the whole pack, in an attempt to try see if it will click, and my entire experience was just a general feeling of dirty SSRI feeling...yuck, I can not go on with these shit ass pills. I go back and tell him my story. He told me, "yeah they are like that", but "you need to take them every-single day for a long time for them to work". I go back home and try again, but I just can not use them...I get very bad anxiety and I can not sleep properly at night. If anyone has had those Pre-workout drinks, you know the crash at night, it was very similar to that. I go back and explain, he goes sorry, there is nothing else. I go are you sure, I am willing to do a police report, I have 0 reporting of any addiction and I really need them. He is like "nope, nothing else exists that I can give you, it is either Tramadol or nothing". I leave.

Fourth doctor. I tell the doctor my story. He goes to me "all those medications are addicting and no good". I will give you something better, and writes a script for Naproxen. I go home and give them an honest try for more than a month, and did not use any opiates. I found that I could wake up easier, but besides that NOTHING. The pain felt exactly the same as taking NO medication, and I took them everyday...I also read some reports about NSAID long-term dangers and freaked it...they were rather useless as I was in pain that was very annoying and taking it before or after did nothing to stop or prevent it...I go back and tell him the situation. He tells me that there is nothing else and the other medication I was taking is addictive and should not be used. He tells me that once I take these daily for a long time, I can then use APAP when the pain gets worse and just use the Diclofenac when my pain is not that bad and make sure I use it DAILY. I leave and never come back.

That was quite a long time ago, but I received no help, besides Tramadol after trying for a very long time to get something. And Tramadol is just horrible. What if I was on SSRIs? What if I got serotonin syndrome? Sooner or later I found out about CWE Codeine, and it was all but over with opiates for pain. I found a new love for recreation!!

My shoulder is way better now, but it can get inflamed form heavy lifting and while in WDs I can feel the exact spot on my back that hurts. Generally though, when sober and after WDs, I feel normal and just don't over exert too much. But, yeah, they are very scared of opiates, even if I can not move my head. I had 0 reports of any addiction and doctor shopping. I was legitimate and needed those meds. I know that Tramadol and Codeine are not the only painkillers available, but they seem to think that there isn't. All these doctors had two things in common, they would not let me speak to get my story or explain my complaint as they think they know it all before I even talk, and they were afraid of prescribing stronger medication, even though the weaker ones were harming my body and not working. Why are they like this?

Also, if someone knows the answer...since the Big Pharma business is so big and profitable, why don't doctors just script medication easier to keep the system flourishing? How can Big Pharma make money if doctors won't subscribe anything useful?

For many years i to in NZ was under the yoke of non believing doctors.
I used to in my early 20's re-pile old houses & on occasion the room to move is such that all you can use as per body parts to steady yourself are your neck & head & if whilst doing this for some only god knows reason the house moves or your using a shovel & hit rock it all seems to compress in the neck area. Ever since my mid 20's i have had chronic neck & shoulder pain because of the above & probably many other reasons but unlike assertions from some GP's over the years its not phantom or in my mind as i was once told?

Once i started getting a lot of pain & associated localized pain in the neck shoulder area i started to go to chemists & i self medicated with ibuprofen & codeine but found i have an unnaturally high tolerance to opiate pain killers in general. After a couple of years of just getting the same answers from numerous doctors in various cities i eventually found a doctor with a sympathetic bone in his body who did his best for me. At the start the GP in question did script Tramadol but after working for about 3 weeks the levels & amounts i was taking were quite ridiculous as it worked out to be close to 2&1/2 grams worth a day. So he put me on muscle relaxants like Norflex along with Codeine this worked for a few months but he also recommended going to pain clinic. The pain clinic was the best thing & the worst thing to happen to me?

At the pain clinic they did all kinds of tests & took x-rays which conclusively showed i had a form of arthritis called facet joint atrophy? basically two vertebra have fused together & the above & below vertebra are to far apart. So the clever surgeons did minor surgery & implanted steroids to grow muscle tissue between the fused joints. BAD IDEA the week after this i was in so much pain i couldn't walk was having spasms all along my body & various other ill effects.
The recommendation from pain clinic INOPERABLE TO HARD BASKET. So three weeks after this i was put on morphine sulphate with the conclusion that i will be an addict for the rest of my life.
Now i don't mind this as i had played with similar opiates on a recreational basis a few times but never had what i considered a habit? Now i am on the methadone as the doses of MS were getting to high 2-300mg so am now on 130mg methadone liquid a day 50mg Morphine sulphate slow release at nights & also 800mg of ibuprofen twice or if in a lot of pain 3 times daily & a whole heap of other meds to stop any adverse side affects.

So my reasons for posting whilst kind of related to this topic/thread are basically to let people know yes the medical profession get it wrong & lord knows i have been through the ringer but persistence does eventually pay off.

If at first you don't succeed grow a crap load of poppies & visit some clan lab sites for recipes "Lol" no keep trying someone will listen eventually it may take time in my case almost ten years but there are good genuine people in medical profession who do realize when people are being honest & truthful & are not just looking for prescription highs.

His reply was "bad-luck, keep on using those meds then, if you are not going to listen to me". Basically, rather let me kill myself than prescribe something stronger that I can use less of. Another kick out.'

That's a really ugly and self-esteem destroying experience, I know. It's not easy to go and tell a stranger everything that's wrong with your life and the intense anguish. Basically begging and saying "please help me, I honestly don't know what to do" makes you feel smaller than a spec of dirt.

Then to be given dangerous advice - cram yourself full of paracetamol - and told that essentially: You got yourself into this, so now you have to suffer the consequences..

It's mind blowing. Were these people ever human? I don't want to taint all doctors with that brush, because there ARE excellent ones out there, but I'm sorry to say that I've experienced what teological describes above not once or twice, but a few times. I copped that attitude in the hospital when my father was on teh way out. Sometimes the judgement was implied, and other times they actually voiced it. I still, to this day, cannot believe the shit I've heard from a few poisonous people in the medical system. They were some of the coldest inviduals I've ever come across. No empathy. No pretense at empathy.

Those were some of the most traumatic moments of my life, and I was basically paralysed (luckily) with rage and the toxic attitude which some doctors did not bother to try and hide or tone down. The message was clear: If you haven't done what I told you to, or what I believe is the right way, you simply don't deserve a life. So, too bad, no one to blame but yourself. The most disgusting attitudes I've ever encountered.

I have some old high school friends who have moved into bikie crews and I've seen some pretty volatile and frightening people, but even the worst of them were humans ultimately and showed more soul than some of these so called 'heros' of the medical world.

I'm not going to continue because I'm still very much upset by things I've experienced, and there's simply no point in carrying around hatred. It'll end up making me sick. I have to let it go. It's just so hard.

Halif, don't let it affect you like that. You are taking it way too personal. There is something about these medical general practitioners that really piss me off. Know it all, but they can not draw the chemical structure of the medicine that they prescribe. LOL talk about "general". They are all generic.

Your story pisses me off because it is benzo withdrawal. Do these people not know what it is? is the fag psychiatrist ok in the head?

You know what else, whoever I have complained to about APAP in the medical scene, has told me it is the safest substance you can ever take chronically. All the GPs think it is safe, and one pharmacist told me that you can not get more safer than this, and encouraged me to use 8 a day. WtF?

But again, why do I read everywhere that the Pharma industry is so large and makes $billions of dollars in profits, but doctors in Australia will not prescribe anything? How is it so rich then? I do not understand why doctors won't prescribe it, out of more corruption, to help the industry boom more....we do not have a DEA here to chase them around, I don't get it. What do ya'll think?

PS - read this; one of my uncles is prescribed very heavy Xanax scripts. He gets 2mg ones that he can take 2- 4mg at night, and is also allowed to take during the day, so 4mg+ per day. THE DOCTOR has not told him of the WD side effects!! When I was talking with him, I tried to test him, to see if he knows that in WD you can have a seizure and also that it can be fatal, he did not know what I was on about and told me don't worry about that, it is not true, because the pharma company tries to cover ALL possible side effects so you do not sue them. He is right in one way, but the fact that the doctor has not warned him at all is beyond me...that is just, utter disrespect man. He should at least know that WD CAN be fatal.

For many years i to in NZ was under the yoke of non believing doctors.
I used to in my early 20's re-pile old houses & on occasion the room to move is such that all you can use as per body parts to steady yourself are your neck & head & if whilst doing this for some only god knows reason the house moves or your using a shovel & hit rock it all seems to compress in the neck area. Ever since my mid 20's i have had chronic neck & shoulder pain because of the above & probably many other reasons but unlike assertions from some GP's over the years its not phantom or in my mind as i was once told?

Once i started getting a lot of pain & associated localized pain in the neck shoulder area i started to go to chemists & i self medicated with ibuprofen & codeine but found i have an unnaturally high tolerance to opiate pain killers in general. After a couple of years of just getting the same answers from numerous doctors in various cities i eventually found a doctor with a sympathetic bone in his body who did his best for me. At the start the GP in question did script Tramadol but after working for about 3 weeks the levels & amounts i was taking were quite ridiculous as it worked out to be close to 2&1/2 grams worth a day. So he put me on muscle relaxants like Norflex along with Codeine this worked for a few months but he also recommended going to pain clinic. The pain clinic was the best thing & the worst thing to happen to me?

At the pain clinic they did all kinds of tests & took x-rays which conclusively showed i had a form of arthritis called facet joint atrophy? basically two vertebra have fused together & the above & below vertebra are to far apart. So the clever surgeons did minor surgery & implanted steroids to grow muscle tissue between the fused joints. BAD IDEA the week after this i was in so much pain i couldn't walk was having spasms all along my body & various other ill effects.
The recommendation from pain clinic INOPERABLE TO HARD BASKET. So three weeks after this i was put on morphine sulphate with the conclusion that i will be an addict for the rest of my life.
Now i don't mind this as i had played with similar opiates on a recreational basis a few times but never had what i considered a habit? Now i am on the methadone as the doses of MS were getting to high 2-300mg so am now on 130mg methadone liquid a day 50mg Morphine sulphate slow release at nights & also 800mg of ibuprofen twice or if in a lot of pain 3 times daily & a whole heap of other meds to stop any adverse side affects.

So my reasons for posting whilst kind of related to this topic/thread are basically to let people know yes the medical profession get it wrong & lord knows i have been through the ringer but persistence does eventually pay off.

If at first you don't succeed grow a crap load of poppies & visit some clan lab sites for recipes "Lol" no keep trying someone will listen eventually it may take time in my case almost ten years but there are good genuine people in medical profession who do realize when people are being honest & truthful & are not just looking for prescription highs.

Sorry for double post, but I have read similar stories to yours. I do not know if it is a success story, but the lesson I have learnt...make sure you get an operation where they fuck up badly, then you will get pain relief as they now are 100% certain you are not lying. rofl ridiculous.

Halif, don't let it affect you like that. You are taking it way too personal.

It's affected me much because it IS personal. It wasn't just a one -off thing, it's happened numerous times to me, and it made an awful experience (waatching my father die of liver disease) into something that literally made me question the nature of medical science as a whole and wonder if humans have made a critical wrong turn along the way and decide the science IS the patient, and the people are only useful as test cases and for gathering data for MORE SCIENCE.

But yeah, I am making an active effort not to dwell on the past, because it has become a source of deep misery over the last seven years. It's time to let it go for my own sake and wellbeing. Easier said that done, of course. But I am slowly distancing myself from those PAST experiences and focusing on the good things now - like the reasonable GP finally taking my side, or the lady GP from a couple of weeks back who was utterly sympathetic and didn't hesitate to write my old valium script, even though I'd never seen her before. She saved me, because my regular guy was on leave, and some of the other doctors there took one look at the psychiatrists note which is permanently fixed to my record, and flat out refuse to give me anything.

^ yeah it doesn't get much more personal than a psychiatrists' office during a panic attack.
Talk about weakened defences!
Great thread, Halif.

Exactly as Spacejunk said. He knows me. And he knows what it's like to be at rock bottom, and then see a potential ray of hope in the darkness... and then find that 'ray of hope' kicking you and tormenting you (metaphorically).

When you've been down in the dumps, and then abused and spat on while you're down there, you cannot easily shake off the anger that arises.

I'm not a violent person. I enjoy fighting in controlled circumstances; boxing, martial arts, etc. But it does NOT make me happy to hurt people. I don't want to ruin someone's reputation. That would bring me no joy at all. I don't want to punch someone (outside of a ring). What's that going to do? nothing.

But I really think that some of these things I've either experienced or witnessed point to serious issues which must be addressed. People in the Medical and Judicial systems should not be treated or viewed differently - they are not above the law. It is very, very ugly when people in positions of power abuse their status or fail to fulfill their duty of care.

There are elements in long-standing institutions who need to - so to speak - pull their socks up. They know who they are, and I think they are aware of the finite nature of their positions.

I'm all about community and peer support. The problem with massive systems is that they become the entity of priority. It's completely back to front. There's nothing scarier than being really sick - or even worse being with someone you love who is really sick - in a big, soulless environment in which no one takes accountability and there is only a series of automated processes carried out by machines and overworked staff who never quite seem to know exactly what's going on.

Thanks to all who responded, and to Captain B for fixing up my crazy typos, and to SpaceJunk for just being awesome for years and years :)

Put a fat grin on my face reading how you got this Doctor onside Halif :) It sucked reading about you completely losing hope after your experiences last year, you deserved some kind of break.

I hope the 'system' improves. Can be completely demoralizing/soul destroying when you work up the nerve to deal with the issue (which is massive in itself) and then get met with cold, judging, stereotyping eyes - over and over again. Stories like this are good to show people there's always hope.

There has to be a better way - even some kind of counselling/guiding service to help find the correct Doctor for the particular patient. A caring and compassionate ear, and treating the patient like a person can change lives and lead to results - compare that to someone being stuck in the system for years being bounced around with the same things tried and the same non-results.

Last edited: