• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Long time needed to fall asleep and interrupted sleep - 8 years after MDMA overdose

savior999

Greenlighter
Hi all, I am 42 years old. When I was 20, for about two years, I used MDMA (in pills), on a regular basis.

Then I quit, and when I was 34, I went on a weekend where I abused of strong MDMA crystals.

That weekend I made a big mistake, because I was not up-to-date with the new drugs, and I took 3 pills, and then was given 1 gram of MDMA crystals, which I thought it was the equivalent of ONE pill I used to take. So in 2-3 hours I drank it all. I know, i have been VERY stupid, but i didn't know how much i was taking, i wouldn't have done it otherwise. Here the whole story, but it’s long ( https://www.bluelight.org/xf/thread...nth-after-really-strong-mdma-crystals.587662/ ).

This is the short version: I didn’t sleep for two/three days and for months I had spasms and twitches before falling asleep. I had to take benzos for some time. Then after 8 years of pretty healthy life (only some alcohol and light cannabis occasionally), swimming, yoga and with the help of melatonin, I managed to return to a regime of sleep almost normal. I have always slept 6-7 hours at night at maximum anyway.

Now lately I had a very stressful period and I started having bad sleep again. Not spasms nor twitches (only occasionally), but difficulty in falling asleep, or I wake up after 3-4 hours and then my head seems like it doesn’t want to sleep anymore, even If I don’t have thoughts. This is of course causing me troubles the next day at work, and I am very nervous and tired when this happens. It can happen from 0 to 2-3 times a week.

I went to psychologist who told me I have a bio-chemical issue, and the psychiatrist prescribed me Seroquel (quetiapine) 25 mg. It is an antipsychotic drug used off-label to help sleep. Alternatively he proposed benzos.
The point is that I do not want to become addicted to any of that shit. I know I can have one month of good sleep with those, but what then? Worse than before. Or you need to take them all your life. Or change from one benzo to another all the time to avoid addiction.

I want to overcome this only with natural medicines, or vitamins/integrators. And i am sure and confident that time will do the rest. Our body (including brain) is a miracle machine and is able to heal itself with time.
I have just ordered 5 HTP, do you think it can be beneficial, and how should I use it?

I have been taking for three months this amino acids, with Vitamin B, specific for sleep ( https://www.juvel-5.co.uk/s-balance/ ) , but they didn’t help much. Melatonin sometimes help, sometimes doesn’t. When my brain decides I can’t sleep anymore, there’s not much I can do.

Would you have any advice or help you can give me?

Many thanks to all.
Cheers

Last edited:
Would you have any advice or help you can give me?
Hello
I have read your post from 2011. I'm really glad you made a good recovery. That must have been scary.
I'm not really qualified to say much about your situation.
My guess would be that if you worked physically really hard all day...stacking lumber at a saw miller's yard (for example), or mixing cement & loading up scaffolding for a 3-man brick laying team... when you finally get to crawl into bed at night, your sleep will be very sweet. If not on the first night, then definitely by the third.

I'm not saying go get another job lol... just pointing out that such an extreme measure will almost certainly solve the problem IMHO. Maybe just working out hard at a gym will be enough. Ride a bike up a long hill. Push yourself hard. Feel exhausted. I know...much easier said than done.
I believe this type of physical stress & resulting fatigue will over-ride whatever is causing your sleeplessness. You'll also finish up with a body like a young gorilla :)

Best wishes

Thanks for the advice Dershieber!

I think you are right, i should engage in a more active life, more sport. Also at work it is a boredom, often nothing to do, and this doesn't help to feel good.

Regarding integrators/vitamins or more "passive" help, what would you suggest ?

meditation and Yoga. Meditate 30min before you go to sleep. Focus on your breathing. It's helped me immensely

Now lately I had a very stressful period and I started having bad sleep again. Not spasms nor twitches (only occasionally), but difficulty in falling asleep, or I wake up after 3-4 hours and then my head seems like it doesn’t want to sleep anymore, even If I don’t have thoughts. This is of course causing me troubles the next day at work, and I am very nervous and tired when this happens. It can happen from 0 to 2-3 times a week.

Doesn't sound weird to me. I have this too in stressful periods but it always passes.

Thanks all for the excellent and wise advices. In the meantime i have intensified my swimming program, I try to be more proactive at work, and i bought some integrators (valerian, hawthorn and other calming herbs) and they seem to be doing a great job, together with Melatonin. After 30 minutes i take them, i start yawning. And i slept 7/7,5 hours in the last two nights. With my usual "pee-stop" around 3 a.m.

I also received the 5-HTP capsules I had ordered. But I think i ordered a too big dosage. It is 400mg capsules (with powder inside) and super strong formula. I have read afterwards, that it is suggested to start with 150 mg per day (50 every 8 hours). And i have read that it can also do the opposite effect, causing overexcitement and insomnia, and could cause serotonin syndrome if taken in too high doses. So i returned the first order and maybe i will order the 50/100 mg box, upon your advices.

How do you think i should take 5-HTP, dosage and at what time of the day?

My plan is that if 5-HTP will help create serotonin, and in consequence melatonin at night, i will quit taking melatonin (which they say it should not have side effects, but long term side effects have not been researched thoroughly yet).

Many thanks again.

Last edited: