• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term methadone

Splashcat

Greenlighter
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I would appreciate any advice from people about the log term use of methadone, what are the effects on the body after 15 years on the program and how difficult is it to 'get off the program'. I'm 47 years old and have been using various drugs since I was about 15 years old. Thanks.

Heart and lung issues can occur, but I think the psychological effects, are more profound.
As far as getting off the program, it's an extremely difficult opioid to detox from, due to its long half life. Some claim it's the worst opioid to detox from. Sometimes it's better to switch to a less potent, shorter acting opioid, and detox from that.

- Hopeless

Wow, hopeless? Thanks for the encouragement! I don't expect it to be easy, I'm just weighing up health benefits v's psych effects, as you point out it is psychologically stressing to say the least, so if the negative health effects are nominal then I'll stay put. Thanks for your input.

Detoxing cold turkey took a month of feeling awful. First 2 weeks I didn't feel human, no energy, RLS, no sleep. Second two weeks better but very weak

Detoxing slowly--like 5 mg every other week--is unnoticeable. Once down to 30 mg I did it by 3 mg, and under 20 I did it by 1 mg. It was ntmbad at all, but I gave my body that adjustment time.

I'm currently on a long term detox. Was at 95 mg
I'm currently at 40 mg. I have not felt one drop in dose

I would say if you've been on a long time take it slow, maybe come down 5 mg this week. You won't notice it. Then do it again a few weeks later. If you're in no hurry it can be completely painless, aside from minor discomfort and mental stress below 5 mg. I think at that point it's fear of going from 1 to 0..

But if there are specifics you need to know just ask ...

Oh-- and "hopeless" was his signature, not his commenting on your situation!!

^ yep, hopeless is my screen name/signature, not about your situation lol, sorry for the confusion!

- Hopeless 7nos

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is studies like this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19386945

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety...ormationforPatientsandProviders/ucm142841.htm

I cant comment on how common the side effects are or anything of that nature and when i went into a program about 2 years ago (off now, also clean) i was informed by the doctor it was thought to occur at higher extended doses which is why they keep people at 90 regularly as that keeps the risk down. Its not that i dont trust doctors but they are people too and i havent researched it myself but if you are concerned i would start there as its actually a reported thing. Again not saying its at all common and i have never looked into it myself.

As far as wanting to get off it how that is will be entirely personal. I can say that i was able to handle 10mg drops every 2-3 weeks wtih no effort until i got to 30mg and then did 5mg drops to 20 followed by 3mg drops to 3mg and jump. I decreased from 90 to 3mg per day in about 6-7 months i believe. My ex actually did the same way quicker up to 90 and off in 11 months...

I only felt slight discomfort through the whole things and the worst was 3 days after my drop but even that was in my head, yet i would still take a tiny portion of my sunday take home saturday (day 3/4 after drop) because the idea was hard to shake so i can attest to the fact sometimes its harder then other times. I will be the voice of hope though between my suicidal/depressed ex girlfriend dropping benzos and opiates like they were killing her (and they were) and myself straight not caring it was way easier then the horror stories i have heard. Especially her she amazes me to this day, why it was right before getting on methadone i was trying to convince her it was worth getting clean and not killing herself... now shes a completely different person who is confident because she over came times far darker then anyone she knows. Its possible to gain a badge of courage and self respect out of this whole thing, it doesnt need to be a bad memory.

The thing that will burden you is the life you have created around methadone and the lows and highs that come with any substance. So it may not be getting sick and getting better but its like drinking coffee for 15 years every morning then one day you stop, you will wake up and look at the pot and think about how much better the morning could be even if its just marginally so. I work by the clinic i use to go to i drive by it daily for a week or 2 it was weird then like my ex said as she got off it like 3 months before you "one day you wake up and think... i am so glad i dont have to go there ever again" and thats the turning point.

I am 3 months off i think, dont even know the exact date dont even care. It gets easier with time and you have to want it. Again the only examples i have are people who were on for less then 2 years so you will want to go slower as you will need more time to adjust to the whole thing, most likely.

Last edited:
Methadone withdrawal is a difficult experience. I won't sugar coat it. But just like any other withdrawal a strong mind and positive mental attitude can make a huge difference. I assume you've been through Opioid withdrawal before? If you're on Methadone or seeking it, I can only assume that you have.

Methadone withdrawal features all of the major characteristics of say, Heroin withdrawal, just a little more mild and protracted. I think you'll find that, if you have the proper kit of comfort meds, nothing crazy, it's a manageable syndrome. What got to me eventually was the length of time. Instead of 3-4 days of sickness, I experienced about 2 weeks of truly acute withdrawal, followed by a few weeks of apathy, anhedonia and insomnia. I didn't get any sleep at all for weeks besides short naps during the day and in the evening. The lack of sleep is what truly got to me. I've never desired sleep so much in my life.

It's doable, don't be afraid, but look at it realistically. It will be hard, but I've done it and I'm not especially tough, so I'm sure you can do it OP.

I didn't get any sleep at all for weeks besides short naps during the day and in the evening. The lack of sleep is what truly got to me. I've never desired sleep so much in my life.

QFT That is the one thing i forgot to mention. Although i never suffered from full insomnia i would get at best fractured sleep. Once i got low enough on dosing i couldnt sleep past 830 then 730 then finally 630 when i came off. And i would sleep in 1.5-2 hour bursts so i would wake and sleep 3 or 4 times a night trying to sleep at 10pm so when i got up at 630 i had 3 rounds of 2 hour sleep before work.

That stopped happening about 3 weeks after my last dose and now i can sleep through the night have motivation back but still can not sleep past 730. Its like my body is scarred by that happening and now i wake up at 730 even if i go out till 4 the night before. Even at festivals my first thought for opening my eyes is "please dont be 730, please for the love of god i went to sleep at 5... 730 fuck!" its not bad most nights except when i want to do anything past 2am.

now shes a completely different person who is confident because she over came times far darker then anyone she knows. Its possible to gain a badge of courage and self respect out of this whole thing, it doesnt need to be a bad memory.

The thing that will burden you is the life you have created around methadone and the lows and highs that come with any substance. So it may not be getting sick and getting better but its like drinking coffee for 15 years every morning then one day you stop, you will wake up and look at the pot and think about how much better the morning could be even if its just marginally so. I work by the clinic i use to go to i drive by it daily for a week or 2 it was weird then like my ex said as she got off it like 3 months before you "one day you wake up and think... i am so glad i dont have to go there ever again" and thats the turning point.

I am 3 months off i think, dont even know the exact date dont even care. It gets easier with time and you have to want it. Again the only examples i have are people who were on for less then 2 years so you will want to go slower as you will need more time to adjust to the whole thing, most likely.

^ Great addiction analogy!

- SS373dOH

one day you wake up and think... i am so glad i dont have to go there ever again" and thats the turning point.

Yes. I am SO SO grateful I don't have to go to the methadone clinic ever again! It is a beautiful thought that brings tears of joy to my eyes. I am so glad I no longer have to worry about being physically dependent on a stigmatized drug, shackled by "the liquid handcuffs." I used to fear the what ifs, like "what if there is a natural disaster and I can't get my methadone." Getting off methadone is different for everyone, for me getting off it after 10 years was the hardest thing I've done in my life, but you know what, it was worth it. I hope Splashcat the OP is still reading this thread. I have experienced adverse lasting physical effects from being on methadone for so long (plus you can't really separate the "physical" and "psychological", that's a false dichotomy) and am sure that the sooner you quit the better regarding all the adverse health effects. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies downplay the health consequences and encourage people to stay on methadone forever.

^ It's all good bud.

Have you decided on whether or not you're going to continue with the program? Give us an update!

- SS373dOH Soul