• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long Term Benzo use causes depression..why?

belfort

Bluelighter
from what ive read and heard from many long term users is that sustained benzo use usually always results in depression..why is this?what do benzos do to its users that causes depression?

Yeah, but then you kinda have to think about why they started using them in the first place..right?...Depression was probably already there..no? Can't think why else they'd have started using them. One thing that always fascinates me is that every prescription drug I've ever been given, when you read the leaflet of 'possible side effects' they are always more or less identical to the symptoms they're being prescribed for..Madness. ;)

Yep truth, I've been prescribed xanax for the past few years and only until about 3 months ago started taking it everyday, no more than 1mg a day cause I do not need a big bad benzo tolerance last thing I need, and low and behold, what's up with my anxiety? It's worse than before the xanax! I stopped the xanax 3 days ago and I have been tapering with a low dose .5 mg clonazepam, I feel better already, going to just take the xanax only when I am really having a rough spike of anxiety.

Also I have noticed that the Zolpidem is causing me depression, pretty bad the day after, so I'm gonna stop taking that nightly and only when needed like when I have to work early and need to crash early...damn things, hey at least I realize these things and take action nowadays instead of just driving the proverbial car off the cliff

Benzo's affect brain chemistry just about as much as any other drug out there. It reduces neurotransmitters, specifically serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine...

-HS