• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Lingering opiate withdrawal symptoms, how long?

RC-Lover123

Bluelighter
I have quit a substantial poppy pod habit one month and three days ago (had a massive Kratom habit before that) I am feeling fine now, pretty great actually, but I still have annoying withdrawal symptoms. I sneeze explosively several times a day, often three sneezes in a row. People look at me all scared because we have a Covid wave right now, LOL. The skin on my arms still burns a bit from time to time and my temperature preference is still really weird. It is freaking hot here right now and everybody is moaning about it and I simply love the heat right now, which is completely atypical for me. The hotter, the better, I feel relief and joy when I leave air conditioned buildings to return to 100 fahrenheit outdoor spaces. I cannot stand the air conditioning in my car and my wife and I fight about turning it on or off (not badly, she is amused when I whine about the cold air hitting me..). I still can't sleep as well, but that is not really atypical for me so not sure about that symptom.

Question: How long does this last? The heat thing is actually nice right now but the other stuff does annoy me...

around 0.3-5mg bupe.4 x150mg Pregabalin. Snorted one (150mg). For my lingering full agonist opoate withdrawal.Waiting for them to kick in.I migh add 200mg tramadol

For me the bulk of physical symptoms have usually lasted for only a week or so, but I've had chills and unpleasant electrical sensations lingering on for probably a bit over a month. Emotions have however been completely out of wack for months on end.

EDIT: Seems good to kick the habit in hot weather, the body temp issues suck when withdrawing in a Scandinavian winter :p Also, my experience is withdrawal from heroin not poppy pods but I guess the difference should be small when it comes to the timeline of things.

Last edited:
I've gone through opioid withdrawal several times over 20 years and the symptoms lasted longer after each time. 2 weeks, then 3, then 4.

My last withdrawal, from high dose kratom, I didn't start feeling normal again until around 35 days. I also got covid 2 weeks into it which made it worse and was hell.

Exercise and proper nutrition are key in the later stages of withdrawal/PAWS. If ignored it will only make them last longer.

Curiously, I normally sneeze twice but during opioid withdrawal I will sneeze 3-5 times for whatever reason. I definitely get sneezing attacks as well in withdrawal.

around 0.3-5mg bupe.4 x150mg Pregabalin. Snorted one (150mg). For my lingering full agonist opoate withdrawal.Waiting for them to kick in.I migh add 200mg tramadol
Not real helpful because these are all scripted meds that I'm sure the OP doesn't have access to and doesn't want to take anyway.

But of course they would make one feel better. Some people want to just push through and not compound their problems with other narcotics and comfort meds.

PPT for sure has lingering WD symptoms. Most people that go through this are surprised that it lasts as long as it does. Because you are dealing with the codeine, morphine, thebaine and any other agonists it's kind of a double whammy.

Many on here wish they had an H addiction over the pods as at least the physical part is over in roughly 7 days. Stuff like Bupe, methadone and pods really sticks around awhile. Sure hope you feel better soon. Probably doesn't seem like it but every day that passes brings you closer to freedom.

Okay, thanks, so this is pretty normal, I guess. I have been on opioids pretty much 24/7 since 2016, first Kratom, then switched to the poppy powder after a bit of a break. I don't think I have any PAWS, I feel pretty good besides being tired from the insomnia. Not taking much in terms of supplements, just 300mg magnesium per day as I had some cramps in my leg recently. I eat clean enough, loads of salad, tuna, eggs, beans, good meat, cottage cheese. I think I need a lot of protein right now as I am hitting the gym almost daily. Hurts a lot, the gym, but in a good way.

One thing that is great: 4 years or so (or 5, I don't even know) of high dose Kratom had completely ruined my libido, testicles had shrunken, I was probably very low on testosterone. That got a bit better with the poppy pods but after stopping the pods, my balls have finally grown back to normal and I am super horny, like a 16 year old boy, LOL. Also started getting somewhat aggressive again, which is probably better than that morphined, neutered state I was in. I always had an aggressive streak in me that got totally lost with opioids.

I guess it is really over when the sneezing stops. I sneeze about 20 times per day, which is totally not normal for me. I rarely ever sneeze without being sick.

Okay, thanks, so this is pretty normal, I guess. I have been on opioids pretty much 24/7 since 2016, first Kratom, then switched to the poppy powder after a bit of a break. I don't think I have any PAWS, I feel pretty good besides being tired from the insomnia. Not taking much in terms of supplements, just 300mg magnesium per day as I had some cramps in my leg recently. I eat clean enough, loads of salad, tuna, eggs, beans, good meat, cottage cheese. I think I need a lot of protein right now as I am hitting the gym almost daily. Hurts a lot, the gym, but in a good way.

One thing that is great: 4 years or so (or 5, I don't even know) of high dose Kratom had completely ruined my libido, testicles had shrunken, I was probably very low on testosterone. That got a bit better with the poppy pods but after stopping the pods, my balls have finally grown back to normal and I am super horny, like a 16 year old boy, LOL. Also started getting somewhat aggressive again, which is probably better than that morphined, neutered state I was in. I always had an aggressive streak in me that got totally lost with opioids.

I guess it is really over when the sneezing stops. I sneeze about 20 times per day, which is totally not normal for me. I rarely ever sneeze without being sick.
Hi man, how much kratom where you taking if you don t mind me asking? I´m using kratom (started today) to get thru oxys w-d and I still think of k as of this mythical gift from Go to help us opioids addicts, didn't knew of all the contraindications and stuff, especially on the sexual part!

I started taking 10g a day but that escalated over several years of use, ended up taking 40g per day. The side effects were getting worse so I stopped Kratom. I lost my libido, I got dark pigment patches under my eyes and I felt it caused minor anxiety and sometimes panic attacks when combined with caffeine. Oh yeah, it also stopped working for me, just felt dull and boring. Withdrawals were not bad, though, just a week or so of feeling weak and shitty, insomnia and diarrhea. I also got months of minor PAWS from Kratom, felt sluggish, anhedonic, unmotivated.

The sexual part was bad because it never recovered. I stopped Kratom and was clean for 4-5 months (or longer, I don't remember) but libido did not return at all. It did recover somewhat when I was using the poppy pods, could get it up again, have decent sex and orgasms again. Morphine seems better for libido than Kratom, at least for me.

From a month up to 3 months, buddy.
Depends too much on many factors(time using,tolerance,dosage, frequency of use,your own metabolism, etc.

I started taking 10g a day but that escalated over several years of use, ended up taking 40g per day. The side effects were getting worse so I stopped Kratom. I lost my libido, I got dark pigment patches under my eyes and I felt it caused minor anxiety and sometimes panic attacks when combined with caffeine. Oh yeah, it also stopped working for me, just felt dull and boring. Withdrawals were not bad, though, just a week or so of feeling weak and shitty, insomnia and diarrhea. I also got months of minor PAWS from Kratom, felt sluggish, anhedonic, unmotivated.

The sexual part was bad because it never recovered. I stopped Kratom and was clean for 4-5 months (or longer, I don't remember) but libido did not return at all. It did recover somewhat when I was using the poppy pods, could get it up again, have decent sex and orgasms again. Morphine seems better for libido than Kratom, at least for me.
Interesting (and a lil scary) I take kratom on and off during my various attempt at quitting or at least reducing my oxycodone use and one of my main reason to stop was and is that oxy fucks up my libido big time ( I can get up but....I don t really feel the need to, an it´s almost impossible for me to come, etc ) while k . was way more sex friendly ( it also helped with post opioid w-d premature ejaculation , which is a bitch). But today I took 10 gr of kratom and...nothing, it helped with the physical w-d, but mentally I was depressed as fuck and I felt nothing remotely similar to horniness ( usually when I quit opioids I´m horny like a 12 years old). Time to taper this k thing already......@jasperkent ? u are my authority on kratom here on BL, any thoughts?

From a month up to 3 months, buddy.
Depends too much on many factors(time using,tolerance,dosage, frequency of use,your own metabolism, etc.
Off topic and maybe is not my business but as you are here ( and I´m coked up like a MOFO, probably courtesy of your country :) how are thing hermano? I read a recent post of yours and you sounded pretty depressed, any better?

Last edited:
It took me a whole 2 months to feel back to baseline after quiting methadone.

Have you tried exercise etc to try and get back to homeostasis a bit faster?

Off topic and maybe is not my business but as you are here ( and I´m coked up like a MOFO, probably courtesy of your country :) how are thing hermano? I read a recent post of yours and you sounded pretty depressed, any better?
Lol, I'm experiencing minor opiate wds along with some headache and insomnia cause I think I'm hooked up on GABAergics again. Ehhh, more than depressed and pretty bored but yeah I'm trying to stay sane in this MADFKNG House. Enjoy ur blow, must be good cause u feeling talkative lols cheers man

Lol, I'm experiencing minor opiate wds along with some headache and insomnia cause I think I'm hooked up on GABAergics again. Ehhh, more than depressed and pretty bored but yeah I'm trying to stay sane in this MADFKNG House. Enjoy ur blow, must be good cause u feeling talkative lols cheers man
tell me about it, i m at day 2 of oxys w-d, stuffing myself with kratom (have you ever tried the thing? It´s legal here in Brazil should be legal in Perú as well), so physically I´m ok(ish) but is the mind that´s fucked, depression and shit, hence the blow, which might be good (way better than the shite I used to get in Europe anyway) but is still...blow, a drug I despise for a number of reasons, but is giving me the strength to...do basic stuff like taking a shower. If I can give a suggestion when you´ll be done with the cirurgias maybe you should really consider moving from the MADFKNG house if you can, my relationship with life in general and with my relatives in particular improved 100% when I...left home and Italy for good!Good luck to us!

tell me about it, i m at day 2 of oxys w-d, stuffing myself with kratom (have you ever tried the thing? It´s legal here in Brazil should be legal in Perú as well), so physically I´m ok(ish) but is the mind that´s fucked, depression and shit, hence the blow, which might be good (way better than the shite I used to get in Europe anyway) but is still...blow, a drug I despise for a number of reasons, but is giving me the strength to...do basic stuff like taking a shower. If I can give a suggestion when you´ll be done with the cirurgias maybe you should really consider moving from the MADFKNG house if you can, my relationship with life in general and with my relatives in particular improved 100% when I...left home and Italy for good!Good luck to us!
Ufff brother I'm still 0/5 with the surgeries haven't even begun, I've quit all other drugs except morphine and clonazepam, I'm eating well. It just sucks that my effin dad is a pussy that is always postponing stuff, he thinks this is a fucking joke. My mother would have never left me in this forgotten state that I'm in practically but that's a story for another. One day I'll make a thread about all this fucking Odissey I'm living rn. Thx for the good vibes my brother!!!
Nico xx

Who knows, maybe is like my father (RIP) when I was your age (younger maybe, 23-24) I was still living in Italy I had to make a surgery ( not as serious as yours, I had an osteoma osteoide which is kind a benign tumor on my foot, but still it hurt like crazy, not even heroin was helping! ) and he was postponing all the time- boycotting- said it was " all in my head " etc cos ....he was scared shitless of what could happen, of the very word "Tumor" etc. unless my mother took the matter in her hands, Fathers are strange especially the people from these old generations (you are 28-30 right? I m almost 40) and especially with all these toxic macho bullshit of what " a man should be" common both in Latin America and South Italy as well ( we both were a Spanish colony after all). But you will start the surgeries at some freaking point (which is GREAT, when I started reading your stuff I thought you were not supposed to walk again) and..who knows one day you would show me and my wife @Puff around Lima, we will happily nod in Kennedy square -plaza-whatever ( the one with the cats :) . We went oy to Lima and Cuzco but there is still lots to visit ( and to eat ) in that country of yours! Good vibes to you from me and the missus !
Crazy, we also have a similar name, mine´s Nicola :)
Best my man and keep me posted if you feel like it!

It took me a whole 2 months to feel back to baseline after quiting methadone.

Have you tried exercise etc to try and get back to homeostasis a bit faster?

I have been hitting the gym quite hard (10-15min intense cardio, then 30min intense weight lifting) every other day. I feel absolutely crushed afterwards, though, need to rest for at least two hours and still feel weak for the rest of the day. Cannot do it when I am alone with the kids, I need to shop, cook, clean the house, water the fucking plants, read books to the kids, get them to school, into bed and so on. Hard work when you feel lethargic and tired.

I should add that I radically cut down my caffeine intake yesterday. Since acute WDs (first week, basically), I have been taking caffeine pills and been drinking shot after shot of strong Italian espresso (Lavazza is my favourite) throughout the day to somehow keep me going. Since I suffer from very bad insomnia since stopping the poppy powder, I decided to stop the caffeine bullshit yesterday. Only had three shots of coffee in the morning.

Best decision ever! I crashed hard yesterday evening after a really busy Sunday (kids basketball tournament, taking the kids to a public swimming pool, cooking dinner and cleaning afterwards) and then I slept solidly from 10pm to 3am!!! And even better, I fell asleep again after waking up, until 4:30. 6 hours of sleep! I feel like I am born again now, so freaking good to have slept okayish for the first night in 5 weeks. Caffeine was not helping, need to use the stuff more reasonably from now on.