• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Likelihood of permanent brain damage after one night?

saiyaman17

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, tried a few lines of cocaine 48 hours ago with a group of people I trust. We had been drinking as well.

I am a pretty severe hypochondriac and have a history of anxiety and depression (low dose of lexapro) so the next day I thought about what I did, hopped on google and started freaking out that I changed my brain for the worse forever.

Anecdotally my friends I've talked to just said if you're worried about it, don't do it again and you'll be fine. That one time is unlikely to do permanent damage to dopamine receptors.

Thoughts? Am I hardcore overreacting?

Yes. I believe you are overreacting. But like you said, you are a hypochondriac with a history of depression and anxiety, so it's not unexpected.

I HIGHLY doubt you did any damage to your brain. And even if you did somehow "affect" or "change" your brain in any way, the chances of it being permanent are slim to none(assuming it was actually cocaine you were using).

The only thing that I believe you could even possibly have to worry about after using only one time as you described is heart/cardiovascular damage. But you(especially as a hypochondriac) would DEFINITELY have noticed symptoms by now if that had occurred.

Hypochondriac or not...I personally don't recommend ever doing cocaine again. I've never met anyone who could manage to live a normal life while using coke.

Obviously this is an impossible question to provide a definitive answer; however, in all likelihood, you should be fine as far as your concerns about brain damage but your brain is now different. It has been exposed to a substance that provides instant euphoria, essentially your pleasure pathway has been chemically overridden.

Yes. I believe you are overreacting. But like you said, you are a hypochondriac with a history of depression and anxiety, so it's not unexpected.

I HIGHLY doubt you did any damage to your brain. And even if you did somehow "affect" or "change" your brain in any way, the chances of it being permanent are slim to none(assuming it was actually cocaine you were using).

The only thing that I believe you could even possibly have to worry about after using only one time as you described is heart/cardiovascular damage. But you(especially as a hypochondriac) would DEFINITELY have noticed symptoms by now if that had occurred.

Hypochondriac or not...I personally don't recommend ever doing cocaine again. I've never met anyone who could manage to live a normal life while using coke.

Yes that is sort of ultimately deep down what I assume is happening. My anxiety is "beating" any joy I may have for the drug, and I have no desire to ever touch it again.I do not feel physically any different.

Obviously this is an impossible question to provide a definitive answer; however, in all likelihood, you should be fine as far as your concerns about brain damage but your brain is now different. It has been exposed to a substance that provides instant euphoria, essentially your pleasure pathway has been chemically overridden.

Fair, the real question would be if this means my entire life will be 100% different going forward permanently...

It's highly unlikely you did any permanent damage. I agree with everything James Brown said. It would be a good idea to avoid cocaine in the future, but you should really be fine otherwise

Thank you for the feedback. I had read on some internet articles that one hit could mss your dopamine up irrevocably, so I have been in and out of a state of panic the last day or so.