• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Lexapro and opiates

john10960

Greenlighter
Hi everyone.

I was wondering what everyone's experience is mixing these 2?

Do you experience a decrease in euphoria?

From a scientific standpoint, I know lexapro is a very weak cyp2d6 inhibitor. Should this cause a weakening of euphoria from mixing the 2?

Thanks!

While I admittedly don't know how the chemistry works, from personal experience it didn't impact the opiates.

My doc switched me to lexapro to eventually get me off benzos. While I try and keep the benzos and opiates separate, the lexapro I would take every morning along with a handful of vicodin, and all was well.

I did that for about a month, before quitting opiates altogether

Thanks for the feedback.

Just bumping this as looking for as much feedback as possible.

Yup. Prozac definitely weakens it. In fact so much I would experience WD if I didn't take double the dose... of course everyone is different. It wasn't the "blunting effects" of Prozac. If I took Prozac in morning and opiates later in day they never worked as well.

I don't think there's any way to avoid this

It shouldn't decrease euphoria. And the weak CYP2D6 ihibition could even lead to increased plasma levels of other CYP2D6 substrates, so as long as you don't use codeine and possibly tramadol it may even increase the effects of the opioid a little

It shouldn't decrease euphoria. And the weak CYP2D6 ihibition could even lead to increased plasma levels of other CYP2D6 substrates, so as long as you don't use codeine and possibly tramadol it may even increase the effects of the opioid a little

So weak inhibition could possibly lead to an increase in euphoria whereas strong cyp2d6 inhibition (prozac) could lead to a decrease?

Any other experiences with lexapro (particularly vs other AD's) and taking opiates?

So weak inhibition could possibly lead to an increase in euphoria whereas strong cyp2d6 inhibition (prozac) could lead to a decrease?

Depends on the opioid you're taking, not if it's a weak or strong inhibitor.
CYP2D6 metabolizes drugs, so if you inhibit it the drug will stay in your blood longer and plasma levels may increase, this can lead to more euphoria. But if the drug needs to be metabolized into another drug (this might be the case with codeine, as part of it is metabolized by CYP2D6 into morphine, which might be responsible for most of the effects of codeine) to be active it'll decrease the effects

Just a bit confused.

I have read those on weak cyp2d6 inhibitors like lexapro experiencing less euphoria when taking oxy or heroin. What could this be from?

And then I have also read where those on strong inhibitors of cyp2d6 such as prozac, also experiencing less euphoria on stuff like oxy? What could this be from?

Anyone else take lexapro and opiates together?

Bump

Last edited by a moderator: