• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Left to study abroad and never came back?

captainballs

Bluelighter
I'm curious about people's experiences if they have lived out the title of this post. Even if you're thinking about it now and you're in your study abroad country currently, how difficult is it to make all of your credit hours add up? Where did you move to and why? Feel free to elaborate, as I'm sure that not everyone's experience can be summed up by answering these two questions.

Also feel free to talk about how to make the money situation work out because I really am curious about that too. Is it easier to get college jobs in some countries if you are a foreign student? I will need a job. More debt = not good for me.

I found it was hard getting all the application paperwork and all the required documentation and approval from my school to be able to study abroad, and have them accept the credits, but just because they make that shit complicated, there might be a lot of steps, but its def possible, because in the end they aren´t going to deny you, because a university should be encouraging things like this. So most importantly just dont let yourself crap out and get lazy on getting the paperwork and everything done!
Anyways, I moved to Spain last summer and I love it. The life is very good here, nice people, fun place, lots of sun. The university here is a lot easier, because you are mostly just studying spanish, and even other classes don´t have much work, so you have a lot of free time to really enjoy life. And of course everyone knows the party life in spain is awesome, and people are way more laid back and open about drug use here than the US.
And how you are over here you can take random weekend trips, its pretty fun to be able to say i went to Madrid this weekend, the beach the weekend before, and amsterdam next weekend :) There are amazingly cheap flights here, they are way cheaper and easier than train, you just have to search for them online. (for ej. you can go madrid to amsterdam 2 hours 35€+tax prob like 60$) Plus you will conveniently make friends from around europe who you can go visit later, so you just have to buy the plane ticket =D Really its so fun, and so interesting just the diverse people you meet.
I was going to go back this summer after travelling a little, but i just dont want to, and i know it will be hard to plan coming back here, at least to live a long period of time again, so im working on plans to stay till christmas ( I was going to return and take 2 semesters at my University in the US to finish, but im going to take a couple online classes, and they are going to cut me a few breaks, and im just going to do one in the spring and finish - this time my uni was really helpful, they will prob be really understanding if you are doing something like this)
Sometimes it really is hard, because i miss everyone i know, especially my family, so I think i couldn´t live this far away from them permanently, because I would just never see them, which is too bad, because i don´t feel that I will ever like living in the states as much, but i´ll just stay here as long as i can now =D The only other thing is sometimes i feel the urge to just fit into the culture where i am, obviously, i really love the spanish lifestyle, and have adapted to it, but you can´t be ¨in¨on everything from a country if you are not from there, so sometimes its weird to not have the feeling of being in
Anyways sorry, but my point here is you should definitely study abroad, if you have the opportunity, you are lucky and you have to take it! PLus with cheaper living in many places here, and some programs less expensive than university in the US you could be living in europe and saving money 8o
ps havent been to prague but heard its an amazing city, going to go this summer :)

Cool. Sounds like you've gotten some serious experience in Europe under your belt. I'll be going to the UK, but I have long-term plans to get into the University of Amsterdam for a later degree. I'll be going to England in Spring of 07.

The whole plane tickets thing sounds badass. I've heard it's cheaper to fly than ride trains sometimes if you shop around. I promise I won't get lazy with the paperwork; as long as it's something I'm intent on doing I'll stay focused.

Thanks for the reply.

Hey,

Currently I'm studying abroad in the UK. I have been here since the beginning of January and have so far had a wicked time.

I completely agree that the amount of paper work you are faced with at the beginning of the process is quite daunting, however well worth the effort. I have also found the same, in that the university I am at is heaps easier than the one back home in Australia, which means I have heaps of free time to go out and to travel.

In terms of staying here- you couldn't tempt me, no way!! Whilst I have enjoyed my time here and am here till the end of the year I wouldn't think of staying. Firstly I miss the sun and since being here its been cold and miserable. Secondly, for me the UK isn't really the kind of place you'd come to holiday - if I was going to stay away and travel, it would be in Europe- because the places I have been so far I cannot fault and have been absolutely beautiful. Thirdly, the conversion rate of the aussie dollar to the UK pound is a rip off, and because I don't work over here that makes it a little hard.

In terms of getting a job over here...depending on what uni you go to they usually have a Student Union office that posts jobs up, so I dont think it would be too hard to secure a job. Also check your government policies, as i receive Youth Allowance from my government fortnightly for being a student.

Lastly, despite the fact that I'm not staying in the UK after I finish, and that I only have 1 semester of my degree left after this I am not going back to Australia straight away. On the way home my plane stops in Bangkok and I am going to defer uni for 6months and travel through Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. But my family are meeting me for Christmas in Phuket.... I can't wait to see them.

Eventually I will go back home, but I can see how you could be tempted to stay away.

I hope everything works out for you....which university were you looking at coming to?

If you need any more help let me no.

Peace,
Carla

That sounds awesome. I bet you're having a blast. I'd be afraid personally of going to one of those hardcore Asian countries, but that's because I've never been anywhere.

I'll be in University of Nottingham (or Nottingham University, same thing) starting in January of 2007. I'll be taking a few MBA courses and exploring Europe. Sounds like you have some interesting experiences. Feel free to write some more!

Holla!