• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Learning to enjoy sleep again?

What helps me sleep is to stick to a regular sleep schedule - wake up same time every morning, go to sleep the same time every night. I try to exercise as well. I like to walk for 45 minutes in the afternoon and then again for an hour to an hour and a half in the evening after dinner. I try to only have a cup (16oz) of coffee in the morning when I first wake up. I also try to eat healthy (clean - mostly fresh whole foods). I do take melatonin which I know isn't an option for you. I also take 5-htp and Relora along with it. If none of that works for you consider talking to your doctor about melatonin or Trazodone. At any rate, I have found the key to sleep is routine. I have battled insomnia most of my life and this is what works for me. It's nice to finally not have to get to blackout mode or passing out to get some shut eye.

Other things to consider is room temperature, cooler is better for sleep. Comfortable bed, get sheets and mattress pads that you like. Make your bed in the morning so it's psychologically inviting at night. I like my sheets a little warm at first so I have a heated mattress pad I turn on low 15 minutes before I get in bed. I also keep my room uncluttered - kind of like a hotel room- a little table and two chairs by the window and then the bed and two night stands, with an armpit and a table. The tvnisnom the wall. I hve a few simple wall hangings but nothing complicated. Nothing is left out, nothing is busy or activates my thoughts or anxiety. Everything is simple, convenient, and utilitarian. Environment has a huge impact on how we feel.

What others have mentioned is also on point, no screens or Bluelight (phone, tablet, tv, PC). I keep my phone next to me but I keep it facedown so if it lights up for any reason I can't see it.

I love the sound of the fan, air conditioner or waterfall (yup, I live in a very urban environment).

No doubt a fan or a steady running AC. A sleep sound generator is great also. I am a light sleeper, used to sleep through anything until PTSD and my many other ailments took over. Now I use Ear plugs benzos and Seroquel, and that dosent work all the time either. Would give anything to be able to sleep normal without any of the above mentioned.