Learning the compound lifts.

Rahcookiemonster

Bluelighter
Hey all.

I'm going to be starting Rippetoes Starting Strength soon, (For anyone who doesn't know its a beginners routine consisting mainly of compound lifts to help get a good base, squats, deadlifts, benches etc).

I'm starting to read his book and it looks like it has a lot of good information on how to perform these moves correctly- Which is a really important thing to learn IMO. How long did it take for everyone to go from no knowledge to performing these moves with ease? I mean the deadlift looks like a difficult lift to master, but worth the hassle. Why go to the point of doing all this and not learning all of the essential lifts to begin with?

The last time I went into the gym and asked for help with these lifts I got a empty look and got led over to all the basic machines. :p

Stories/opinions? Help a skinny 145lb white boy out %)

The best tip i can give you is think about how your doing the lift. For example when i squat i break with my legs first then my back so once im at the bottom of my squat i just reverse that, lift with my back then finish with my legs. For me deadlift is the opposite push with my legs first pull through with my back, when i go to set it back down break with my back first then lower with my legs. I have read your suppose to fire both back and legs at the same time but it just doesnt work for me. For both of them i started lifting with my neck, trying to get the weight moving by putting a lot of strain on your neck, after a while it moves more into your back/shoulders.
Rippetoes kicks ass just make sure you eat a lot, if your just starting these lifts keep it light and your form good.

You want to learn proper form, yes. So that you don't injure yourself, mainly, but also so that you don't collapse to the ground due to inexperience/trying to lift too much. You want to develop "ecsape instincts" for them as well. For example, if you're doing a lift, clean and jerk and you feel yourself falling backwards, how do you shift your lower body? Or if you feel yourself falling over forward on a squat, how do you stop this? If you are planning to try and move big weight eventually on the compound lifts, you need to know these things. It's akin to extreme atheletes knowing how to fall.

Definately get your form down with the BAR ONLY. Even if it feels light. It has to be flawless, and you have to get used to your grip and how the mass of the bar corresponds with your physical center of mass on the various lifts. Then go SLOWLY as you add weight. 5 pounds a session at the start. The bar is 45lbs, so in 11 sessions you would be squatting 100 pounds. I know this seems painstakingly slow, but to safely come to be able to move multiple hundred pounds on compound lifts, it does not comes in weeks or a few months - it's a effort that goes well beyond a year.

Good luck!

Just start off really light, especially with the deadlift....maybe even ask someone with experience to give you feedback on your form...

once I started doing heavy deadlifts, I blew the fuck up..it was the firswt compound where i hit over 300 lbs..

An individual in average shape should be able to execute 135lbs on the compounds...start by putting a 45 or 35 on each side...you need to feel some weight to execute the exercise correctly.

Best thing you can do is tape yourself doing the exercise and post it up at a knowledgable forum. They will tell you what your form is and how to improve it.

Best thing you can do is tape yourself doing the exercise and post it up at a knowledgable forum. They will tell you what your form is and how to improve it.

The best thing to do is have someone experienced watch you perform the lift and give you pointers. I don't know what gym you guys go to but I have never had any problems asking someone to watch my form. Just look for a big guy by the squat racks and I'm sure he'd be glad to help you out.

^ Theres always that. Although make sure the guy you ask believes in squatting deep.

yea usually at the gym everyone is nice and some people go out of their way without even being asked to help out the little guys. reading the books and form is good, but learning from watching other people and learning from experience is better for some people.

Not many ppl squat deep at my gym. I actually prefer a gym where not many ppl squat, since it gives me a better chance of having the squat rack to myself.

Not many ppl squat deep at my gym. I actually prefer a gym where not many ppl squat, since it gives me a better chance of having the squat rack to myself.

Yeah, I see a lot of morons loading up the bar doin like quarter squats, whats the point? Or idiots loadin up a squat machine with 1000 plates and doin 5 calf raises, give me a break. hahaha

doing half squats or 1/4 for that matter has been shown to increase fat sorage in the gluteus maximus FACT

And who wants a fat arse?

Are squats the best compound exercise for getting rid of fat in the ass and thighs?

I've been concentrating on my upper body for weight resistance training and relying on the treadmill to shed fat in my ass and hips. I'm a guy, but I've always has a problem with fat around my hips and lower waist. My legs are in pretty good shape because I used to do lots of martial arts and running. But I'm older now and I've having trouble getting rid of the spare tire around my waist and the fat on my hips.

I do 2-3 miles on the treadmill, 5 sets of machine ab crunches and 4-5 sets of machine torso twists at EVERY workout before moving on to upper body. Do you really think adding squats would make that much of a difference? I've also seen people do side to side leaning holding weights in both hands with arms straight down at their sides. Is that for lower waist side saddlebags?

Thanks!

Are squats the best compound exercise for getting rid of fat in the ass and thighs?

I've been concentrating on my upper body for weight resistance training and relying on the treadmill to shed fat in my ass and hips. I'm a guy, but I've always has a problem with fat around my hips and lower waist. My legs are in pretty good shape because I used to do lots of martial arts and running. But I'm older now and I've having trouble getting rid of the spare tire around my waist and the fat on my hips.

I do 2-3 miles on the treadmill, 5 sets of machine ab crunches and 4-5 sets of machine torso twists at EVERY workout before moving on to upper body. Do you really think adding squats would make that much of a difference? I've also seen people do side to side leaning holding weights in both hands with arms straight down at their sides. Is that for lower waist side saddlebags?

Thanks!

You can't do a spot reduction, but your on the right track with running and working your legs. Squats would make a Huge difference imo, one of the best exercises to perform. I believe squats have been proven to raise free test levels, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Your legs have the biggest muscle groups, so they will burn the most fat. You will loose fat around your stomach by working your legs. Not saying to neglect the upper body, just that your legs are capable or burning more fat than say your obliques, or abs.

You can't do a spot reduction, but your on the right track with running and working your legs. Squats would make a Huge difference imo, one of the best exercises to perform. I believe squats have been proven to raise free test levels, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Your legs have the biggest muscle groups, so they will burn the most fat. You will loose fat around your stomach by working your legs. Not saying to neglect the upper body, just that your legs are capable or burning more fat than say your obliques, or abs.

correct...squats are the BEST exercise and help make your body proportionate...i didn't grow until i did squats.

^ Hey para, what age did you start lifting? What were you like before you started lifting?

haha cool my thread is still alive. I haven't gotten around to starting yet :(, but I'm reading rippetoes book at the moment and its full of information on form on all the compound lifts. Its great!

^ Hey para, what age did you start lifting? What were you like before you started lifting?

haha cool my thread is still alive. I haven't gotten around to starting yet :(, but I'm reading rippetoes book at the moment and its full of information on form on all the compound lifts. Its great!

started lifting at 21.. I'm almost 24 now..so about 3 years with the longest break being about 1 month...

I was 160 lbs when i started and had a swimmer's build...i was running 3-4 miles 7x a week and felt soo skinny and weak that i thoght the wind was going to blow me away...

I have a weird body type...I've always been the "skinny fat" kid growing up...i have a lot of muscle but still a significant amount of bf...

i've completely changed the composition of my body in 2 years

ive had starting strength book for a while and thought I had decent form but Ive only recently downloaded the DVD of it and learned so much more. Its basically the same info but you see ppl being taught the lifts again and again and pick up alot more than from a book Imo.