• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Largest Crystal Methamphetamine Laboratory ever found in Australia.

NS1105XWEB.jpg

INSIDE THE ICE DRUG DEN

ENOUGH chemicals to cook up about one tonne of crystal methamphetamine is alleged to have been stored in a Tweed laboratory which Federal Police raided last Thursday, Lismore Local Court heard yesterday.

The (ice) laboratory was located on a large property with several dwellings, one of which was rented by 32-year-old Scott McConalogue.

McConalogue is one of seven men in custody after the Federal Police raid on the remote property near Murwillumbah last week.

Police arrested McConalogue and another co-accused during the raid, and arrested another five men in Lennox Head, Brisbane and Sydney.

Federal Police claim it to be the largest crystal methamphetamine laboratory ever found in Australia.

The men have been charged with conspiracy to manufacture commercial quantities of controlled drugs and conspiracy to pre-traffic commercial quantities of controlled precursors.

Yesterday, McConalogue applied for bail in Lismore Local Court but was refused.

Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions Ben McMillan opposed bail, saying McConalogue is alleged to have been patrolling the property with a dog when the raid took place.

"He was the only person on the property...it is not conceivable that he was not involved," Mr McMillan said.

"It’s an extremely sophisticated cooking operation and Federal Police are still dismantling it."

Mr McMillan told the court McConalogue would pose a serious risk of interfering with witnesses and was likely to fail to appear.

Each of the men are facing life imprisonment for the alleged conspiracy.

"This conspiracy involves the biggest production of crystal methamphetamine Australia has ever seen," Mr McMillan said.

"Police allege there was 400 litres of precursor chemicals in the lab (enough to make one tonne of ice)."

McConalogue’s solicitor, Sophie Anderson, argued her client had no prior criminal record.

Co-accused Michael Brown, 62, of Burrandana, and Benjamin Wuyts, 60, of Lennox Head, also appeared but made no application for bail. The three men will reappear on June 20.

A fourth co-accused, Kane Holland, will appear in Lismore Local Court today for mention.

Taken from: http://www.northernstar.com.au/loca...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Found this interview on the ABC website!

Police claim breakthrough in ice laboratory
PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY
PM - Friday, 7 April , 2006 18:50:00
Reporter: Jean Kennedy
MARK COLVIN: Australian Federal Police officers claim to have uncovered the biggest laboratory for crystal methamphetamine, or ice, ever found in Australia.

They've arrested and charged seven people allegedly involved in a sophisticated drug syndicate.

It's the result of a major operation across New South Wales and Queensland.

The drug laboratory was found on a remote property near the northern New South Wales town of Murwillumbah.

It's the first time Police have used new laws that came into effect late last year to prevent the ingredients for illicit drugs being imported to Australia.

Jean Kennedy compiled this report for PM.

MIKE PHELAN: We believe we have completely dismantled the syndicate that's operating here in Australia, in this particular laboratory and potentially the distribution network.

JEAN KENNEDY: Australian Federal police agent Mike Phelan says police raided a property overnight in a heavily wooded area near Murwillumbah in northern New South Wales, and found a drug laboratory complete with secret compartments, allegedly being used to manufacture extremely large quantities of crystal methamphetamine, otherwise known as "ice".

MIKE PHELAN: What we believe we've found is a fully functioning laboratory. Based on the information we've got so far, it is one of the biggest, or if not the biggest laboratory here ever discovered in Australia. As you can appreciate, it's an extremely difficult and protracted task to dismantle the laboratory, and some experts from the New South Wales Police Clandestine Laboratory Team are working as we speak to dismantle the lab, and it may take a couple of days.

JEAN KENNEDY: He says the raid took place after months of surveillance, but didn't reveal where the ingredients for making the drug had been imported from, saying investigations were ongoing and there were some "significant overseas links".

And he says the exact quantities of imported precursors, or crystal methamphetamine produced, is yet to be determined.

MIKE PHELAN: At the end of the day, we're looking at a sophisticated organised crime syndicate here. We're talking about a business. These people want to make money. Australia is a lucrative market for ice, as we've seen, and they'll go to any sort of lengths to create the product.

JEAN KENNEDY: Four men were arrested on properties in northern New South Wales late yesterday and appeared in court on charges of conspiring to manufacture commercial quantities of the drug. Another two men were arrested at Brisbane Airport last night, and a seventh man was arrest before dawn this morning in Sydney.

All seven were refused bail and it was the first time that federal police had used new laws targeting the illegal importation of precursors or the ingredients used in making commercial quantities of illicit drugs.

They attract the same maximum 25-year jail terms as those convicted over manufacturing heroin or cocaine.

The use of the drug ice has been dramatically increasing in popularity in Australia in recent years, with serious consequences for the health of dependent users.

Doctor Rebecca McKeetin is from the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre at the University of New South Wales.

REBECCA MCKEETIN: Most of the crystallised methamphetamine, or ice, that's in Australia is thought to be imported from South East Asia. However, we're seeing some more reports of it being manufactured locally, and I think this seizure is further evidence that this might be occurring.

JEAN KENNEDY: And why have we seen an increase in the demand for the drug?

REBECCA MCKEETIN: We've seen an increase in the demand for crystal methamphetamine over the past few years, and part of this is because it can be smoked, unlike the speed form that's been around for a long time. And this has made it much more appealing to a different group of users, particularly young ecstasy users who are involved with more recreational type drug use.

JEAN KENNEDY: Federal agent Mike Phelan says the drug ice has been a major concern to both law enforcement agencies and health authorities alike.

MIKE PHELAN: Ice is a terrible drug. It does some terrible things to people. It's a drug that attacks the central nervous system, can cause episodes of psychosis and other things, and I myself have seen it firsthand, whilst working in South East Asia, I've seen the effects of shabu, which is another name for ice over there, and it's an extremely debilitating drug for those that take it long-term.

MARK COLVIN: Federal Police officer Mike Phelan, ending Jean Kennedy's report.

Taken from: http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1611472.htm

Diacetylus said:
Wth?
He said apparantly. It is well-known that alot of drugs are produced and imported to Sydney anyways. As Sydney is the main transporting HUB of Australia.
Why can't anyone speculate? That's what Bluelight is about, isn't it?
Afterall, noone knows the real long-term damage MDMA can cause, so we all just speculate.
Know what I mean?
:\
No, we discuss the research on the damage MDMA can cause. There's a big difference.

Also, it was just a warning...I didn't edit either post for that reason.

I want to clarify *why* we don't let people talk about dealing and drug networks in ADD - in the past, Bluelighters have been raided following police monitoring of the boards. By being quite strict about what people disclose, we're actually trying to protect the board's members.

aunty establishment said:
No, we discuss the research on the damage MDMA can cause. There's a big difference.
Well, over in the Ecstasy Discussion Forums most of what I see are anecdotes and speculation and none of it entails properly conducted research as you'd like to put it...
Alot of what I see in here too.
In fact, most of what I see on bluelight are mere anecdotes and speculation when it comes to drug usage, apart from over in Advanced Drug Discussion.

Sorry, I'm not having a shot at you. I'm just trying to set something right here.
Bluelight is based on pure speculation, or anecdote's of other people's personal experiences. Not much of it is based off scientific research, after-all... most MDMA users don't know 100% what side effects they may suffer in another 20 years from now.

It's a pity about what happened with the other Bluelighters, but I'm sure they documented something that would easily incriminate them over the internet, such as how much drugs they have bought for the coming weekend, or the name of a particular place to meet where the fefds could be 100% sure there will be illicit substances present.
There's nothing at all in Koston's post I find incriminating whatsoever.

Anyways... I will hush-up now, and sorry for bringing it up again.
I just see alot of posts closed in here, for silly pointless reasons, where-as in another section of the Bluelight community they are obviously welcome.
Seen European and North American Drug Discussion lately?

China link to bikie amphetamine lab
By Neil Mercer
April 16, 2006

CHINESE criminals have allegedly joined forces with an Australian bikie gang in a bid to produce amphetamines in NSW worth at least $30 million.

But plans to make the drug were foiled 10 days ago when Australian Federal Police raided a remote property near Murwillumbah, in the State's north.

Seven alleged syndicate members have been arrested so far.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that one of them is a member of the Rebels Outlaw Motorcycle Gang.

Police are still seeking another key player, a Chinese criminal based in Hong Kong.

Police sources said last week the Chinese man had come to Australia around October or November last year.

He was bringing with him a small amount of a precious metal called palladium.

Police said palladium acted as a catalyst in the amphetamine-producing process.

Like many other chemicals or ingredients, palladium is often easier to obtain overseas than it is locally.

"We actually thought at first they were importing drugs," a senior AFP source said.

"We managed to track them through and found the laboratory near Murwillumbah."

The property had a number of buildings, including one with a "secret underground room".

The seven men are facing charges of conspiring to manufacture commercial quantities of drugs. About 3.5kg of amphetamines, or speed, was allegedly recovered on site.

AFP sources claimed there were enough chemicals on the property to produce 300kg of speed with a street value of $30 million.

They said the chemicals could also have been used to produce the increasingly popular drug "ice", which is a much purer form of amphetamine. None was found, despite the AFP originally saying it had discovered "a major ice laboratory".

Firearms and about $30,000 in cash were also seized.

According to the NSW Crime Commission, a total of 58 clandestine labs were discovered in NSW last year, and 46 of them were producing speed. Six were making ecstasy.

The trend to local production of ecstasy and ice is increasingly worrying law enforcement.

The drugs have traditionally been imported via Europe or Asia and the move to local production is in response to the growing demand.

In a submission to a parliamentary committee in February, the crime commission said the market in Australia was "rapidly expanding".

Although the Federal Police started their investigation late last year, they only discovered the Murwillumbah laboratory about four weeks ago.

The vital tip-off that helped dismantle the alleged syndicate came from police in Hong Kong.

A senior AFP officer told The Sunday Telegraph: "It's a good illustration of the two-way street.

"We have copped a lot of stick for providing information to overseas agencies (the Indonesian police in the case of the Bali Nine). This is information coming to us from overseas. It just shows we need to co-operate."

From News.com.au

phase_dancer said:
It's not rocket science. Read a book on crystallization.

Yeah, well, recrystallization of 100kg's of ICE would be beyond the simple recrystallization process.

Last edited:
so i take it then they did not bust an ice lab???...... It was just another speed lab..............pffft who cares about speed labs

KostoN said:
Yeah, well, recrystallization of 100kg's of ICE would be beyond the simple recrystallization process.

No it's not!

As for this lab, lol. Thank god! I hope it was the supply of my supply!

EVIL SHYTE.... Bring back the Crystal Meth (non 4-mar) gear!
(no know it all pricks reply to this comment, if you know it all you know the slang gets tortured, so afterall you know what I am talkin about!)

SpecTBK=D

Interesting route they seem to have been using. From my high school chem. days I seem to remember that most reactions using a catalyst need to be done using high pressure or temperature? This could have been pretty dangerous to be around!!

I don't expect them to be banning precious metals any time soon but they must have watched the guy because of what it could be used for. Interesting!

Hence the cement mixers (they look to be built as high pressure locks) with female air plugs on the *lids* that are usually not apparent on cement mixers!

SpecTBK=D

If hydrogen (was referred to on the first page) and paladium catalyst is being used then the route is most likely P2P + methylamine, gassed with hydrogen and a Ni/Pd catalyst to make methylamphetamine of the Dex/Lev racemic kind as opposed to straight Dex kind from pseudoephedrine.

Massive amounts of very high quality methylamphetamine could be produced with large quantities of near pure P2P. My question is where on earth would all the P2P and Methylamine come from considering those two are some of the most watched chemcials of all.

Unless of course the palladium is for another more exotic use. P_D, what are you views?

Pd catalysts can be used with H2 in a strong acidic medium to reduce benzylic OH groups, with high yields reported in the literature. There are several variations on the techniques ( ref; R. Drug archive).

In reality though, anything could have been going on, particularly if pseudoephedrine wasn't mentioned in any police reports.