• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Lapse after Four Days of Abstinence from Opioids

TrevorStJohn

Bluelighter
Hi RK, yesterday , I got a hold of some 10/325 Oxy s. Took them and felt better them felt like a total looser.......i didn't even get any sleep. I took 70 mg in 24 hours and feel like crap. I totally let myself down and my family. I assume I will experience withdrawals again if I quit now. Right ? I am thinking I need to go into a detox facility where I am locked up for 7 days. Had anyone had good experience with this? ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have 13 10 mg 10/325 Oxy s left. Is taper an option or just flush them? I was and am prescribed this medication for an accident. But would rather handle it deal with the pain , excersice helps me big time. I feel so lost. I just want to stop being depwndant on these evil pills! Please offer any advice. Thank you my fellow addicts! Peace, Love, and most important , HOPE

Are you dependent on them currently (will you go into withdrawal if you stop taking them)? If so, you may want to try tapering, but tapering using one's short acting opioids of choice is notoriously difficult to do. It sounds like you'd just be better off using them until they're gone or just throwing them out and stopping now.

In patient detoxes can be good and bad, it all really depends on their specific protocol. Generally detox units attached to hospitals, ideally university hospitals, are the best - private operations can be really hit or miss.

The important thing is to realize that the work really begins after the acute withdrawal is over. It's easy not to use when you're locked up for a week. The challenge comes with finding healthy ways to structure your life that make it easy not to use IRL.

Given access to the right comfort medications and the choice, I'd much rather detox at home.

Do you have a doctor you can work with this on? If not, you could at least order some kratom and use that to help manage your detox (kratom, cannabis and loperamide can make an at home detox without the right comfort meds pretty comfortable, although you'd be much more comfortable with the right meds - like buprenorphine, clonidine, gapabentin, diazepam and a sleeping med like trazodone or Seroquel).

Are you dependent on them currently (will you go into withdrawal if you stop taking them)? If so, you may want to try tapering, but tapering using one's short acting opioids of choice is notoriously difficult to do. It sounds like you'd just be better off using them until they're gone or just throwing them out and stopping now.

In patient detoxes can be good and bad, it all really depends on their specific protocol. Generally detox units attached to hospitals, ideally university hospitals, are the best - private operations can be really hit or miss.

The important thing is to realize that the work really begins after the acute withdrawal is over. It's easy not to use when you're locked up for a week. The challenge comes with finding healthy ways to structure your life that make it easy not to use IRL.

Given access to the right comfort medications and the choice, I'd much rather detox at home.

Do you have a doctor you can work with this on? If not, you could at least order some kratom and use that to help manage your detox (kratom, cannabis and loperamide can make an at home detox without the right comfort meds pretty comfortable, although you'd be much more comfortable with the right meds - like buprenorphine, clonidine, gapabentin, diazepam and a sleeping med like trazodone or Seroquel).

Hi Toothpastedog! Thanks for your reply!
I wanna hold off on taking any more of those 10mg Oxy s and see what happens.....i assume I will start the w/d process all over.
I am in south east Florida and all the reviews on detox places down here are pretty sketchy! None of our hospitals offer detox. Not even U of Miami. I cant beleive it with all the addicts down here! LOL.....
I may go back to Chicago, my home town. There are a some really good hospitals there that have a sound detox program. I took benzos for 18 years and finally got off of them 2 years ago. I would not want to take them on my own....that was a crummy withdrawal CT..
I appreciate your insight!
Thanks!
Trevor

Sure thing. Sounds like the situation in FL is pretty shitty for opioid users trying to get sober. Before you started using again most recently, how many days not using did you have? I'm just wondering because if you already went through withdrawal (so you were not using opioids and got through a week of withdrawal), using for a few days isn't going to cause you to have to deal with all that all over again (I mean, you may experience some symptoms, but it won't be as bad).

Hi TPD, thanks for your speedy reply. I only had four full days clean......yeah Floridah is another world! I mean hello.....wasnt this ground zero for all the pill mills.....it is as though that the rehabs down here pay off the local government so they do not offer detox in the hospitals even if you want to pay! I have attended so many AA and NA meetings down here with people in there 20s and 30s saying they have been through rehab 6 to 8 times ......i am like huh WTF! Not to judge .....but if I paid and took the time to go through rehab that many times and nothing stuck .......just shoot me now please.....ugh! Thinking my alma mater northwestern university hospital detox may be my best bet if I can't do this at home. Thanks again.

My pleasure :)

Would you like me to move these posts of yours (and my replies) to a new thread for you to document your progress/get support for what you're going through with this little slip up? Super easy and I'm more than happy to.

If you had four days clean already and then ended up lapsing for another four days, you're still probably going to have to deal with a bit of withdrawal but it won't be as intense as the first four days.

Northwestern, right on (awesome school)!

Definitely try and do it there if you can find a way to - it'll be much easier than doing it on your own if you have the resources that make it possible. Do you have any family who will help support you or know what's going on?

Keep your head up!

Sure thing. Sounds like the situation in FL is pretty shitty for opioid users trying to get sober. Before you started using again most recently, how many days not using did you have? I'm just wondering because if you already went through withdrawal (so you were not using opioids and got through a week of withdrawal), using for a few days isn't going to cause you to have to deal with all that all over again (I mean, you may experience some symptoms, but it won't be as bad).

Thanks again ROD ! You are great! I do have friends and some family in Chicago who are there for me. I am going to call NWH now to get the ball rolling.

I only relapsed for one day 70 mg oxycodone . 10/325 (7) tabs

I was in WD for 4 days.....i guess I will wait and see.

If you want to move this post thats cool by me .....esp....if it can benefit someone else.

I am a successful business man 45 ....own my company, home, cars.... NONE of that matters....an accident 3 years ago and i was prescribed oxy.....and each day is worse than the last.....i do not want to loose my family, and friends.....people know something is 'up' .........i have lost who I am as a person.

Addiction, and equal opportunity killer!

Wishing strength, love and Peace to my fellow addicts . Be safe !

Gotcha, you'll be golden then (I guess I misread your posts earlier - glad to hear it was only a very short lapse, it means you won't really have to deal with anything except the most minor of withdrawal symptoms).

You're definitely right, the harms associated with unchecked substance use don't care whether you're rich or poor, colored or white. It's funny how people tend to demonize substances when it comes to addiction, almost anthropomorphizing them, but at the end of the day substance use disorder affects all classes and demographics of folks.

There are some interesting (and really frustrating, sad and disgusting) difference when it comes to the disparate impact of the harms associated with some kinds of substance use (such as related to poverty) and accessing quality treatment that tend to correlate with one's socioeconomic status, race, gender and the geographic region one calls home, but that's another story and material for another thread.

As I (hope I) said, keep up the awesome work! :)

Thank you Toothepastedog!
I appreciate your sage wisdom! I know what you are saying about socio economic issues with drugs......trust me.....i have the means and there is not much offered down here in SOFLA....... I could not even imagine what would happen if you could not afford help .....my heart goes out to all my fellow addicts....i know we are meant to live a better life....one free from pills and drugs!
Love, and Hope to all.

Good Morning Toothpaste Dog!
I had a pretty restless night.....i just wanted to thank you again for your guidance yesterday. It feels good to know we are not alone!
Have a great day !
I wish everyone sobriety and a great day;!

Love. PEACE , AND HOPE!

Trevor

I feel for ya man... I went to the ER literally nine times before I was able to get into a 14 day detox... such a hassle, was there 6-7 hours each time before I was able to get into one, which didn't work cause I didn't really wana get clean... got locked up and they gave me klonopine n klonodine which worked miracles.... didn't experience hardly any WDs and I went from doing 300+ mg of oxycodone to shootin bout 1/2 - 1 gram dope a day.... hardest thing was the cravings... they last bout a year, been clean 22 months and its getting easier... just hang in there and if you can't get benzos, weed helps..

Thanks again ROD ! You are great! I do have friends and some family in Chicago who are there for me. I am going to call NWH now to get the ball rolling.

I only relapsed for one day 70 mg oxycodone . 10/325 (7) tabs

I was in WD for 4 days.....i guess I will wait and see.

If you want to move this post thats cool by me .....esp....if it can benefit someone else.

I am a successful business man 45 ....own my company, home, cars.... NONE of that matters....an accident 3 years ago and i was prescribed oxy.....and each day is worse than the last.....i do not want to loose my family, and friends.....people know something is 'up' .........i have lost who I am as a person.

Addiction, and equal opportunity killer!

Wishing strength, love and Peace to my fellow addicts . Be safe !

Hey, Trevor. I'm just catching up on your thread. You're doing awesome. Being proactive and finding the best help you possibly can is, in my opinion, worth every dime and every shred of energy you put into it.

I just wanted to mention, by way of comraderie--I'm also in my mid-40's and fairly successful professionally (by outward appearance, anyway). I got strung out on heroin about six years ago, I think largely due to my iffy skills at stress management and self-acceptance. Man, it's fucking awful living that double life, feeling yourself sink into the addiction while trying to pass as normal, happy, and responsible.

I thought there was no way I could get out from under the lies and the addiction. But it *is* possible. (Obviously, it's still a work in progress for me, but it's steadily getting better...I'm just over six months clean.). And you're definitely doing the right thing by seeking high-quality help. Just keep your head down, keep doing your best, and remember that there is a path out of the nightmare.

You got this.
<3
Sim

Thank you Pill Billy and Simco! You guys r the best. ! The amount of support I have received on BL is unreal. I am greatful! I am not religious, but I am spiritual. And I know that the God of my understanding does not want me to ruin my life. I just keep praying and hanging on! I am blessed to have support of lots of great people including all of you on BL.
Sending positive energy your way. (Even though I feel like sh*t) I know this is temporary and shall pass!
Be safe, sending Love, Peace , and HOPE to all my fellow beings. (If you would have told me 7 years ago, I would be on chemo for 6 years, loose 6 close family members and friends, and be an oxy addict for 3 years I would NEVER beleive it! )
All of that crap is in the past ! Time to be happy!
Addiction,..... an equal opportunity killer.