• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom v. Codeine Receptor Affinity

dus_aster

Bluelighter
I'll keep this brief-
Will codeine, if taken intrarectally a few hours after a dose of kratom (15g, which, with my tolerance, feels roughly equivalent to 7g in a slightly tolerant individual) fail to produce an effect due to most of the opioid peptide receptors being occupied by the kratom alkaloids?
Or, will it's effectiveness take a hit but still bolster the kratom high?

Not looking for definitive 'you will/won't feel it' so much as the on-paper science and/or anecdotal information; I'm still relatively new to competitive binding affinities.

Any help appreciated! :)
Please (gently) correct me if my terminology is off, too!

ps:
fwiw the codeine dosage is ~240mg

Kratom is a partial agonist, but too little is understood about its opioid activity to really say for sure. I've seen mixed reports on this. Some say kratom reduces the effects of other opioids while others say it enhances the effects. I don't think there's a single answer here.

IME it can synergize with weak opioids but not stronger ones. I have not taken kratom with codeine though

Thank you for the response; alas, I sincerely hope that more medical research is done into kratom in the coming years (not likely, given the message the US ban sends to the industry- sigh)

Well, for what it's worth, I administered it at T+2:00 (T= kratom admin. time)...
It prolonged the plateau, and I enjoyed a very brief (~90 second) rush and nod, but it offered little in the way of subjective increase in effect.
Granted, codeine generally feels negligible if I take it after any other opiate; less distance between baseline and plateau?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3807987/
The findings of this study reveal that mitragynine might inhibit cytochrome P450 enzyme activities, specifically CYP2D6. Therefore, administration of mitragynine together with herbal or modern drugs which follow the same metabolic pathway may contribute to herb-drug interactions.

Codeine needs to be metabolised into morphine via CYP2D6, so if kratom inhibits CYP2D6 codeine won't work that much/at all

There's a lot of reports going both ways.. Also kratom's pharmacokinetics are not fully understood yet, I would suggest taking them separately.

Thank you both! I didn't realize kratom influenced P450 expression.
Based on the experience I won't be combining the two again.

I can tell you that, from personal experience experimenting with kratom mixed with other opiates, that it would probably still effect you. I take kratom extracts as they produce a much more (extremely) noticeable high for me, but when mixed with heroin I found myself feeling as though I took a large dose of heroin (because I did...) and also smoked a large amount of cannabis (which I didn't, but kratom extracts have provide a high similar to weed + percoset for me). Long story short, as I have many experiences mixing kratom with opiates, is that it adds to the high rather than taking away from it. This is all just personal experience though, everyone's body is different.