• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom tolerance theory & method to quickly reduce it

The two links I’ve just posted can somewhat explain the role of NAC in changing the reward system and assisting with abstinence. Something worth mentioning regarding MGLU2 activations ability to temporarily suppress reward, is that this can be taken as an investment. this is because temporary suppression of dopamine and other reward signals by MGLUR2 is met by tremendous sensitisation of the reward system shortly after. I feel like this Study i’m going to link, Which is about molecular hydrogen May still apply to how NAC can suppress euphoria when coadministered with a recreational drug.

That study you posted about molecular hydrogen (also fucking weird study, pretty interesting) uses the term NAc to refer to the nucleus accumbens, not to reference N-acetyl cystiene.

Sucks when abbreviations get used more than once.

This NAC may be something I may take before bed cause i go 12 hrs without dosing the kratom (6pm-6am) i dont dose.
I'll have to dig deeper into this man so much to do. lol
One brother

Does the glycine from magnesium glycinate get into the brain?

I always thought our brains did a good job keeping amino acid neurotransmitters from dietary sources from flooding the brain and affecting neurotransmission.

all I can really confirm is that after taking NAC (n-acetylcysteine) for several weeks, magnesium glycinate (specifically) gave me horrendous anxiety/dissociation... but magnesium taurate, or plain magnesium oxide did not.

a rather unexpected reaction, and honestly it felt similar to alcohol withdrawal in a way, like glutamate rebound or something

and I can now take magnesium glycinate just fine now, since I haven't taken NAC is several months.

makes no sense to me, but it happened

also possible that reaction had something to do with my prior alcoholism, not sure

Last edited:
This NAC may be something I may take before bed cause i go 12 hrs without dosing the kratom (6pm-6am) i dont dose.
I'll have to dig deeper into this man so much to do. lol
One brother

its quite a potent healer (extremely potent antioxidant), great for the liver, great for the body, but also has quite a few side effects including the dampening of euphoric drugs that release dopamine

NAC essentially acts as a powerful mood stabilizer if taken daily, and comes with lower highs, but higher lows (if you get me)

don't take it daily, this is when it started to cause me problems

That study you posted about molecular hydrogen (also fucking weird study, pretty interesting) uses the term NAc to refer to the nucleus accumbens, not to reference N-acetyl cystiene.

Sucks when abbreviations get used more than once.

Oh yes, I was aware of that but I should’ve made that clearer. however, my point was actually that the antioxidant effects of molecular hydrogen suppress accumulation of activated ERK1/2 and Delta FOSB in the nucleus accumbens and in doing so, reduces the rewarding aspects of methamphetamine. although I can’t be sure, I suspect that other antioxidants like acetylcysteine would do the same.
Hope that makes sense, but please let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

I don't think it's wise to use NAC on a regular basis, there is evidence that it can have pro-oxidant effects

My entire result from this experiment was a conclusion to almost never use NAC again

it did something weird regarding kratom tolerance, but also ended up giving me pretty extreme anxiety, dissociation, and anhedonia that lasted several weeks afterwards. It seemed to act as an antipsychotic regarding dopamine, but also sensitized my NMDA receptors in a weird way: like how extra glycine gave me extreme long lasting anxiety which felt a lot like glutamate rebound.

I've thought about deleting this thread, maybe I should

weird ramblings of mine

My entire result from this experiment was a conclusion to almost never use NAC again

it did something weird regarding kratom tolerance, but also ended up giving me pretty extreme anxiety, dissociation, and anhedonia that lasted several weeks afterwards. It seemed to act as an antipsychotic regarding dopamine, but also sensitized my NMDA receptors in a weird way: like how extra glycine gave me extreme long lasting anxiety which felt a lot like glutamate rebound.

I've thought about deleting this thread, maybe I should

weird ramblings of mine

Whilst this is a very personal decision, I absolutely fully agree with you discontinuing NAC, glycine and any other substance that strongly interferes with glutamate signalling, especially if it enhances it. this is actually one of the reasons I’ve recently been put off trying well-known nootropics. in theory, the substances might enhance cognition but I think they can just as easily enhance anxiety/stress, sensitivity, and depress reward function, leading to symptoms of anxiety and anhedonia as you experienced.
I hope you’ve made a full recovery and wish you all the best.
I know how anhedonia feels, I spontaneously developed it last year, perhaps due to a mixture of chronic stress, illness and anxiety because of my new job.
Thankfully, I recovered but this has inspired me to research the rewards system in more depth in the hope of finding a cure for this horrible disease.

if you feel this thread could lead people to fall into the same troubles, you did, you might feel better deleting it.
Otherwise, if possible, you could rename the thread and edit some of your posts. I actually wanted to delete one of my own posts earlier on in this thread where I praised NAC for potentially enhancing reward sensitivity. however, as I’m blind, I have difficulty finding it, but you may delete it if you can.

For what it's worth, I've been on kratom for 4 years now and my tolerance hasn't increased much.

Why?
Because on my days off work I deliberately take less than I want to and on workdays I'm careful to take the lowest effective amount.

I've never tried NAC, and from what I've read I probably never will.