• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kratom taper/reduction/quitting

Do you still take only a single dose? I've found that upping dosage isn't really all that effective/useful with Kratom, unless you want to get to the nodding stage or have build up a tolerance (which for me hasn't seemed to happen notwithstanding the daily use, since I've actually gone down over time, even before I consciously started reducing recently).
Might be different for you though, since you've done heavier opiates regularly before (?).

I'm sure you'll make it, after all you've already kicked H! Maybe go for a taper instead of going cold turkey?

Do you still take only a single dose? I've found that upping dosage isn't really all that effective/useful with Kratom, unless you want to get to the nodding stage or have build up a tolerance (which for me hasn't seemed to happen notwithstanding the daily use, since I've actually gone down over time, even before I consciously started reducing recently).
Might be different for you though, since you've done heavier opiates regularly before (?).

I'm sure you'll make it, after all you've already kicked H! Maybe go for a taper instead of going cold turkey?

I strongly recommend you obtain some nigella sativa oil (black seed oil). It works particularly well for kratom withdrawal symptoms, particularly in managing the bizarre restlessness, akathisia and physical anxiety that seems particularly prevalent during kratom withdrawal. It is really helpful stuff, and strongly potentiates kratom, allowing for lower dosages. With black seed oil you should be able to cut down your dose more quickly and comfortably, and it will also be useful during cold turkey.

I strongly recommend you obtain some nigella sativa oil (black seed oil). It works particularly well for kratom withdrawal symptoms, particularly in managing the bizarre restlessness, akathisia and physical anxiety that seems particularly prevalent during kratom withdrawal. It is really helpful stuff, and strongly potentiates kratom, allowing for lower dosages. With black seed oil you should be able to cut down your dose more quickly and comfortably, and it will also be useful during cold turkey.

Hey negrogesic,
Have you gone off Kratom as well? If yes, what was your daily amount before quitting?
I've more than halved my dose and can't say I've experienced bad/any WD at all.
But I've read wildly varying experiences regarding quitting Kratom...

Hey negrogesic,
Have you gone off Kratom as well? If yes, what was your daily amount before quitting?
I've more than halved my dose and can't say I've experienced bad/any WD at all.
But I've read wildly varying experiences regarding quitting Kratom...

I quit recently after a 3 week binge of 30g+ a day (which followed a 1 week tianeptine binge -- 10g total). I have experienced severe opioid withdrawal in the past many times, so I am very sensitive to opioid withdrawal (2-3 days of consecutive opioid use will put me in withdrawal). I quit cold turkey, and it was a bit rough, not unbearable, but not fun. The restlessness was pretty awful, and I was kind of caught off guard by the depression it produced. The black seed oil helped quite a bit, i'd recommend it strongly.

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation :)
I've never been dependent on other opiods and have only done a few mild one's mid to low-dose and only a handful of times. But yeah, I've read that Kratom WD might get rougher if you're a former opioid addict.

So, just a quick update:
Am around 6g now (2+2+2), or rather have been for a while. I did 5.5 yesterday and am doing 5.8 today because I couldn't be asked tinker with the powder on the scales for 0.3.
Gotta say, reducing has been quite pleasant so far. I still get a nice buzz and sometimes can't even finish my series at night after my 2g borneo red dose kicks in because I fall asleep.
Since the financial situation isn't as comfortable as it used to be, it's also nicely economical to stretch time significantly until the next order.
I've only recently noticed how unnecessary and stupid high my former intake was. To.think that in.the beginning I took somewhere around 7-10+g single doses and redosed quickly (and in a short time), only to realise now that a few g over the evening are absolutely enough for me.:)

Quick update: Have been at 5.4g for more than a month now.
More than anything, the reduction is noticeable in my purse. In the past, I'd order 200g every 10-12 days, now I've just received a new parcel but I've been dosing from the last for weeks!
The Kratom buzz remains to be quite heavy, I seem to have a weird physiology in that regards, but for everyone trying to reduce their intake, I'd recommend just trying it out, you might be surprised how much less you actually need for it to be effective.

More than anything, the reduction is noticeable in my purse. In the past, I'd order 200g every 10-12 days, now I've just received a new parcel but I've been dosing from the last for weeks!
The Kratom buzz remains to be quite heavy, I seem to have a weird physiology in that regards, but for everyone trying to reduce their intake, I'd recommend just trying it out, you might be surprised how much less you actually need for it to be effective.

Yeah I'm not really noticing a difference between 24 and 30 grams.

That should be an easy kick. I'm on day 8. My dosing was all over the place. After being abstinent for a few days I binged 3 ounces over 5 days and then just quit. It honestly wasn't that bad. A bit hot and cold sneezing, no motivation, insomnia and some depression and anxiety. I've felt pretty baseline over the last couple of days.

I found kratom nothing like opiates to quit: Even when tapering both (not at the same time). Of course I kept dosage low but I was scared when I put it down (from those damn horror stories). Cannot say I would even call it WDs. Just a little recalculating in the cranium. Miss it, though. If they ever leave it alone I will faithfully acquire on the regular... just seems the most comprehensive and effective substance(s) I have ever run into compared to dependence and WDs of others.
Glad to know others do not go through crippling WDs from kratom.
:)
kratom is the friend i wished i woulda met way long ago....

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not really noticing a difference between 24 and 30 grams.

Yep, it can definately be as effective at lower amounts. Additionally, from my experience, apart from maintaining the buzz additional doses don't add much after a certain point. I used to waste so much of the stuff every night just because I always needed/wanted the feeling of sipping from a Kratom drink (and at a certain point basically obsessively redosed until anxiety went away, or rather diminished to a “comfortable“level, which pretty much constituted nodding off).

That should be an easy kick. I'm on day 8. My dosing was all over the place. After being abstinent for a few days I binged 3 ounces over 5 days and then just quit. It honestly wasn't that bad. A bit hot and cold sneezing, no motivation, insomnia and some depression and anxiety. I've felt pretty baseline over the last couple of days.

It does help to have a steady dose. I've really noticed how all over the place (mostly upwards I suppose) my doses must have been since I've got scales. The teaspoon method is really unreliable - pick a more suppressed corner and you easily add a gram to every spoon, which easily can add like 5g or something per day.
Good luck with quitting. You can make it :)

I found kratom nothing like opiates to quit: Even when tapering both (not at the same time). Of course I kept dosage low but I was scared when I put it down (from those damn horror stories). Cannot say I would even call it WDs. Just a little recalculating in the cranium. Miss it, though. If they ever leave it alone I will faithfully acquire on the regular... just seems the most comprehensive and effective substance(s) I have ever run into compared to dependence and WDs of others.
Glad to know others do not go through crippling WDs from kratom.
:)
kratom is the friend i wished i woulda met way long ago....

Yeah, I hope they don't make it illegal. Though I'll have stop at some point anyways.

So, I'm still on 5,4g/day.
One think about my reduction that is a bit annoying is that I think I've got a weak batch of red right now - and now that it takes me about 50 days (around 30 with the green) to go through the 100g bags I order instead of 10 I'm sorta stuck forever with a weak product. And formerly if I had a somewhat weaker batch I'd just cram a bit more on the teaspoon and still get the same buzz, but now that I'm kinda rigid with my dose it is annoying. Thinking about placing a new order and hopefully getting better stuff. Still got loads of the current one but maybe I could just do a third of that and two thirds of the hopefully better stuff so that I'm not wasting money. Found a few remains of the old bag, which I'm currently on - same dose - and it's definately better.

Apart from that, I'm actually quite happy with how the reduction has been going. Been stable on current dose for 2 months or so. Lately I've been thinking about maybe allowing myself a night like the old times (though prob wouldn't need quite as much) just for fun but haven't done it yet.

Last edited:
Jumping off a kratom habit gets a lot easier once you get below 10grams a day. Below 5grams and it starts to act like coffee withdrawal. Jumping off at 20-30grams and you’re body will know you’ve been taking a opioid like substance. Keep up the hard work man, it’s worth it

Jumping off a kratom habit gets a lot easier once you get below 10grams a day. Below 5grams and it starts to act like coffee withdrawal. Jumping off at 20-30grams and you’re body will know you’ve been taking a opioid like substance. Keep up the hard work man, it’s worth it

Thanks man, I'll need to stop sometime but right now I'm pretty comfortable with where I am. The desire to allow myself a bit more just for a (few) night(s) is probably due to my anxiety levels having been higher (at times uncomfortably) these last weeks because I always took more when that was the case (pretty much every night the first year I was on haha) but I've withstood the temptation so far.

I'm sorta allowing myself a bit more though tonight. I've been at a party and drank quite a bit (not really shitfaced though). Since my usual dosing didn't fit the evening's schedule though I did 2.8g like 1 1/2 hours ago and am going to do 2.6g red now, so let's see what happens. Normally I do 1.9+1.4+2.1 now with approx 2 1/2 hours between each dose, so presumably the bigger single doses and shorter time span should give me a bit more, but then again I've found that alcohol from a certain point onwards dulls the Kratom.

Last edited:
^^ congrats on getting those doses down to a therapeutic level. The hard part of the taper is over, so pat yourself on the back dude. Now you can take an honest look at what kratom does for you and if it works for your anxiety then keep taking it. At least now you can take it as medicine and not have withdrawals playing a huge factor in your decision.

A tiny bit of alcohol (1-2 shots etc) can make Kratom ‘pop’ if you know what I mean. But too much alcohol will increase the chances of nausea. If you’re trying to potentiate kratom I recommend turmeric.

HR note: although kratom is a very atypical opioid, I really can’t recommend combining it with alcohol

I did 2.8g like 1 1/2 hours ago and am going to do 2.6g red now, so let's see what happens. Normally I do 1.9+1.4+2.1 now with approx 2 1/2 hours between each dose, so presumably the bigger single doses and shorter time span should give me a bit more, but then again I've found that alcohol from a certain point onwards dulls the Kratom.

What's up with the weird amounts? Why not just go by teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon etc.? ?

What's up with the weird amounts? Why not just go by teaspoon, 1/2 teaspoon etc.? ?

I did that for the longest time - only got a scale when I started to go down with the amount of Kratom I take daily. The amounts are weird, aren't they? :) I dose three times over the evening (now) and just took of a few hundred miligramms at a time from each dose. Just stopped at 5.4 because I still get reasonable results and had already reduced the daily amount by quite a bit.

As said, I did the teaspoon thing but if you wanna stay reliably at a constant dose it's not that good. I used to take heaped teaspoons (2at a time) and you can easily go 1.5+g upwards depending on how compressed the powder is.

Kratom is such a weird herb. There are obvious withdrawal symptoms with a huge psychological component to it. I can go a few days without dosing if I actually have a dose that can be taken versus when I’m out the symptoms hit me especially hard and sooner

My order of kratom came in today from my reputable vendor. One new sample they threw in that I've never tried is Red Betuangie which supposedly has a nice sedating effect and a feeling of well being. So we'll see how that goes. I always shuffle the strains so my receptors dont get complacent.