• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kratom - My worst addiction yet

MrPubNub

Greenlighter
I was getting off suboxone about a month and a half ago, and made it pretty far (13 days) before resorting to kratom to help cure my overwhelming boredom and general uncomfortable feeling. I won't lie, it definitely has helped me stay occupied (no surprise there). In fact, Kratom has been very good to me. The only reason I want to quit is because I know it is not normal to take it every day, and not being able to quit when I want is definitely an issue. But every day I tell myself I am going to stop, and every day I get bored and end up buying/taking more.
It is so damn cheap! I get 120g for $30... And that typically lasts me 4-5 days. I finally know what it feels like to be an alcoholic -- in terms of having my drug within arms reach. Kratom is too damn easy to get. When I was on H, not being able to get any was enough of a reason to quit. But that's just not the case here.
Anyone thinking of trying kratom, do not underestimate its abuse potential. This drug has kicked my ass harder than any other drug in terms of the willingness to quit.

My main question is: based on what you have read (which isn't a lot, i know) do you think I would benefit from a government funded detox/rehab? When I do not use for 24 hours the withdrawals are almost unnoticable, if I was not so bored I probably wouldn't even notice them. Would a government funded detox pay for my treatment if I am only using kratom? Do you know where I could find more info on "criteria" to get into one of these places?
I am so scared to tell my parents that I have relapsed. The fear is too much... I wish I could just get caught.

What about tapering and exercising a lot as a substitute ? 22-30g a day is definitely too much. Taper down to 10g first, then with even more exercise to 5g and then go from there. You are/were taking too much from the beginning, man.

Similar story here. Pills to Subs to Booze to Kratom for me, which is where I am now, dosing 2 or 3 times a day, one tablespoon per dose. My plan is to taper, lowering the dose slightly over the next couple weeks. I too do not want to be dependent on it like I am now, but one thing at a time.

I just ordered some Kava to see if that will help with the discomfort of kratom WD. No doubt, for me, kratom WD is not dissimilar to oxy WD.

If I'm being honest, it has been years since I've strung more than a couple days together of neither real opiates or kratom. Looking forward to breaking free from the addiction.

Theres a subreddit focused around quitting kratom (/r/quittingkratom) and it might be of some use to you. There seems to be a wide range of experiences there, including people who've had problems with other substances. 30g a day isn't an unheard of dose if you want to try and taper off yourself.

One thing I've found really helpful is switching from toss n wash to making kratom tea. Get a thermos and make the tea in there. It seems like you can re-brew kratom 3+ times depending on the amount. Tapering off tea is a lot less painful, and tea is somewhat self limiting because there is only so much hot water I wanna boil/consume in a day haha. If you want to taper, get yourself a digital scale and measure your doses. Keeping a journal of dose amounts/times is also really helpful. Exercise and staying engaged with other life stuff is also critical.

I agree that inpatient treatment is a bit overkill.

OP, you could probably find a place that takes your insurance, but you will likely still end up spending a large amount of money. Other than the financial issues with the industry, tapering and detoxing yourself either at home or through an outpatient program would give you a better foundation to start working from once you are over the acute withdrawal.

Basically, if you want to get put somewhere that is probably fairly uncomfortable (at best you're only going to be a little out of your element) and hopefully have less access to your DOC (you never know though, people often bring stuff into detox and treatment), go for it. Just beware it isn't a very cost effective thing to be doing.

Plus, you haven't been on the kratom very long. Getting off it will probably be significantly easier than getting off buprenorphine, especially if you educate yourself and figure out how to do it right (tapering, using comfort meds, relying on some kind of supportive community(s), etc).