• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom for opiate user help

Eight9ten

Greenlighter
Out of town and a 80+mg daily oxy user, all i can find is Green malay kratom in a local shop. Owner says this is a sedating strain, but google is saying otherwise. Help me please, will this stuff even work for me and how much do i need?

Well nearly 3 hrs in on 4g dose and all ive gotten is a very minor wobble type feeling, more remenescent of an acid trip than anything else but certainly nothing to write home about.

Can anyone suggest where to go from here? I'm fine for the present but in the morning im expecting to start withdrawals and id like to avoid that and hopefully catch a buzz.

With your Oxy tolerance you won't get high or catch a buzz from Kratom. It is much weaker but it should hold you out of WDs so be glad about that.
It is a great tool for tapering and quitting opioids but it is only recreational if you have like no tolerance.

That's not completely true zerwas because when I started using Kratom I was just getting off 180-240mg a day and 6grams of some Kratom (I think Bali maybe maeng da) and I was rolling pretty good and it was only one day sence my last dose so that's definitely not 100% but yes sometimes with high tolerance to opioids it is tuff to get a buzz from Kratom

I would take 5 grams and see where it goes if u feel like u need even more either redose like 2-3 grams or wait awhile (I would wait because sometimes redosing doesn't work for me like ever) and then pending on how much stronger u want it raise it 1 or 2 grams

The thing about Kratom is that the more u take the more euphoric it is but the more sedating it is and less is less euphoric but more stimulating

With your Oxy tolerance you won't get high or catch a buzz from Kratom. It is much weaker but it should hold you out of WDs so be glad about that.
It is a great tool for tapering and quitting opioids but it is only recreational if you have like no tolerance.

Damn, I don't know. My wife's got (or so she says) a fairly high tolerance for opioids (although milady clearly simply cannot handle a buzz) & it seems like every damn time she's on Kratom she's passed out most of the day. Personally I never got very high off of it, and I so totally don't have a tolerance for -- well, pretty much anything.

I'm thinking it's just that some people can handle herbal supplements better than others. I'm sure if I looked it up I'd have a better answer. Why does it seem like sometimes it's the LT hardcore opiate users that seem to get so very fucked up on anything at all? I mean, these types of drugs never did that to me -- I just get really euphoric. But then again, I've always been wary enough to not take too much.

Last edited:
With an 80mg oxy tolerance, you probably need at least about 12 grams of Kratom at first and then 6 grams every 4-6 hours. Green Malay works

the difference between different kratom strains is often not that noticeable, a newbie user might feel a difference but with an opiate habit you will likely not experience much beyond wd relief regardless of what strain you have. not saying there wont be any difference between the most sedating strain and the most stimulating, but everything in between is gonna be pretty much the same thing so just try to get quality kratom for the lowest price and forget about strain.

I would prefer moderate and slow strains (Green, Red, Bali, Borneo) over fast strains (white, yellow, Thai) when using it as a replacement for other opioids because the stimulating strains can cause anxiety and irritability while the more sedating strains do not.

I only noticed a difference in strains within the first month or two of using kratom. After that, it was more a matter of whether the kratom was good quality or not, because after a while, at the end of the day, it always does the same thing. Green Malay is known for being a well balanced strain, meaning it can be relaxing and energizing. Really though, with almost all strains, the desired effect is dose dependent. Lower dosages, 2-4g usually provide a more stimulating effect, whereas higher dosages 5g^ become more sedating. This is all relative to your individual metabolism though. I'm sure some people would get rocked off of 2g, whereas others would need closer to 10.

It's also important to know that more kratom is not always a good thing. Unlike other opioids/opiates, kratom doesn't really cause repiritory depression (although I'm sure if mixed with a handful of CNS depressants someone could achieve it), and a kratom overdose is incredibly uncomfortable, much like a caffeine overdose. Your eyes get really wobbly, and your hands start shaking uncontrollably. I've put myself through that multiple times and it sucks.

As for Kratom's relative strength compared to other opiates, there doesn't seem to be much research on the matter, but looking back, I think that while kratom has alkaloids that are mu-agonists, it also has a lot of other alkaloids that add the the experience. Some of these serve as muscle relaxants, etc. So while there is definitely a cross tolerance with the part of the plant that affects the mu-receptor, it's not as sever as with straight up opiates. To illustrate this point, I started taking kratom to get off buprenorphine, I had been plugging 2-3mg a day, and I took 7.5 grams of malaysian kratom and it fucked me up. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't nodding, but I got an intense euphoria that I haven't experienced from regular opiates in years. Granted, after a week or so this euphoria definitely started to wane, but still, I was impressed.

If looked at as a conventional opiate, than yes, kratom is comparatively extremely week by weight comparison, but when you consider that it's dosed in grams, it's really not. Not to mention, of those grams, only 2% (or some ridiculously low number like that) is actually active alkaloid. Someone on here did an acid/base extraction on kratom a while back and I believe he said that with the resulting extraction, it was active in dosages as low as 20mg or so.

Anyway, I'll end this rambling now, but I'm fairly certain that kratom should take you out of oxycodone withdrawal, of course, depending on the quality of the kratom (head shop stuff is often not that good, but TBH I've had it a few times and certain brands aren't terrible either).