• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

kobe bryant!

go to nba.com and check the videos. they have footage of michael jordans 3 50+ games. good stuff!

roundbelly said:
go to nba.com and check the videos. they have footage of michael jordans 3 50+ games. good stuff!

I don't think some people have a proper understanding for how much more challenging it is to score EIGHTY-ONE points in REGULATION than it is to score 69 in OVERTIME (Not to mention 60+ in THREE QUARTERS WITHIN A MONTH of the 81 point game AGAINST DALLAS) - essesntially TWO 80 point games in a month.

It would be like all of a sudden, next season, Peyton Manning threw for 6,500 yards, and people blew it off because Dan Marino and John Elway were more charismatic than Manning is, and because Marino and Elway never allegedly date-raped anyone.

Before Jordan had a First Ballot-Hall Of Fame-bound-Scottie Pippen, the Bulls were ABSOLUTE GARBAGE for half a decade EVEN *WITH* JORDAN.

And yet while playing in a higher-scoring league, with ZERO good teammates with whom to share the ball, with no zone defenses allowed, and with no athletes like T-Mac or Vince or Lebron against whom he had to compete, Jordan STILL never even came close to doing what Kobe is now doing ON A REGULAR BASIS.

We're getting to watch Shakespeare perform before our very eyes, and most of you are too busy reminiscing, looking at your high school yearbook pictures, and as a result, sadly, are missing it.

what counts most in basketball is making your team win. do you realise how much harder it is to win 6 championships than scoring 81 points? kobe loves the spotlight (remind me again why shaq left la?). kobe wanted to do it all, but that doesn't win championships. i can almost guarantee kobe wont win another (unless he gets another allstar in the team).

so what...? i said there is footage of jordans 50+ games. its worth watching. just like its worth watching kobe score 65.

roundbelly said:
(remind me again why shaq left la?)

Because he was a fat, out of shape, aging, injury-prone cry baby with a terrible work ethic who was demanding a gigantic contract extension that he didn't really deserve because he was clearly on the downslope of his career.

Look at Shaq now; he's pretty much done. Jerry Buss absolutely made the right decision. Kobe didn't force Shaq out. Shaq wrote his own fate by trying to hustle Buss.

roundbelly said:
what counts most in basketball is making your team win..

Do you realize how much better the Lakers' winning percentage is than the Bulls' was (at this stage of Kobe's and MJ's respective careers) and how many more championships the Lakers have won in than the Bulls have (at the same stage)?

If Kobe plays 10 more years, takes another two years off to play minor-league cricket badly, and STILL doesn't have six rings by then, THEN we'll talk.

But AS OF NOW, to surmise that MJ from age 18-29 was better than Kobe from age 18-29 is utter stupidity.

Face it Kobe Haters and Jordan Lovers:

The game (and its players) are EVOLVING, just like everything else in life.

Do you think that the best computer in the world ten years from now will be SLOWER than the best one now?

MJ is basketball. He is a class act, unlike Kobe. you can compare stats all day, and some will come out in favor of Kobe, and some will come out in favor of MJ.

Kobe refused to shoot in a game 7, but MJ would do anything to win.

youarewhatyouis said:

Kobe refused to shoot in a game 7, but MJ would do anything to win.

Including acting so inappropriately off the court that he got unofficially banned from the NBA for 2 seasons.

^now now LL...you don't want to start up the conspiracy theories about his father's death. ;)

Sorry...Michael Jordan is anything but a class act...maybe the best player in the NBA to date...but certainly not a class act. If you think otherwise, I'd suggest you start looking into the life of MJ.

Jordan's mob connections...gambling debts...mysterious death of his father...the two-year "retirement" from the NBA right before the gambling problems were going to be made public...stuff like that.

SEATTLE (AP) -- Kobe Bryant hitting big shots and nearly finding the 50-point mark wasn't surprising.

The shock on Friday night was who helped Bryant, as the Los Angeles Lakers rallied for a crucial victory in their playoff push.

Bryant got his points, finishing with 46, but the critical element was bench contributions from Ronny Turiaf, Jordan Farmar and Brian Cook in the Lakers' 112-109 win over the Seattle SuperSonics on Friday night.

Bryant scored 31 in the second half, and his 19-footer over two defenders with 1:41 left gave the Lakers the lead for good.

man kobe really steppin it up this season. will be interesting to see come playoff time. /me chants M V P . M V P

dapurpman said:

me chants M V P . M V P

This should OBVIOUSLY be Kobe's third MVP (to date, he officially has ZERO).

And as much as it might SEEM that I'm anti-MJ, in my opinion, HE deserved to win MVP TEN TIMES, not the mere five he collected - he lost to players like Karl Malone and Charles Barkley, who, while they were admittedly excellent players (I'd even go so far as to call Barkley (but NOT Malone) "great," there's no doubt in my mind that during ANY of those seasons, any GM in his right mind would have prefered to have started his team with MJ over anyone else in the universe, given the chance.

And THAT is what MVP should be about - not "Best Player On This Year's Best/Most En Vouge/Most Improved Team" (a la Malone and Barkley) and not "Most Likeable White Player, who helped his team become very good, when they used to be average (Steve Nash, each of the past two seasons).

Rather, MVP, should mean the same in Basketball that it does in economics and finance - that is:

If, hypothetocally, every single player became a free agent immediately, and you were the GM responsible for picking ONE player, and you were fortunate enough to get the number one pick in the wide-open-hypothetical-everyone-in-the-universe-is-eligible-draft . . . whom would you pick?

And in my opinion, if the answer to that question was anything other than "Michael Jordan" in any of the ten season's in which he was CLEARLY the league's most dominant player, and anything other than "Kobe Bryant" in any of the past three seasons (including this one), then you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Because if you'd rather have Karl Malone in his prime over Michael Jordan in his prime, or Steve Nash of the past 2-plus years over Kobe Bryant over the past two-plus years, then you belong in a rubber room.