• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos kindling effect of clonazepam, and gabapentin withdrawal

lunchbox333

Bluelighter
I was prescribed gabapentin for a clonazepam withdrawal after a binge for a few months in attempt to self medicate a bad case of methadone PAWS. the 1st week of taking the gabapentin I was taking (basically 300mg every 45min/hour all day), then anywhere from 1200-2400mg for the next month. the past week though I've lowered to 900 mg daily.

even with the 900 mg I'm already hit hard with pretty unbearable withdrawals. wake up sweaty and itchy every morning, crazy bad trip like anxiety that Benzo wd doesnt even produce, I plan on continuing a moderately fast taper as i have somewhat small supply of gabapentin (9gs ) and honestly as bad as I feel already i want to reduce as much time as possible.

I have clonazepam stashed away, my concern is, with kindling effect in mind, would it be safe to take it again after just finishing withdrawals from a few month long binge? Ive been off benzos for just shy of 2 months. if I do take benzos would it be wiser to not take the kpins I just came off and try a different group of Benzos? this was the only real significantly impacting Benzo withdrawal I've had and I'm sure some of that had to due with the methadone PAWS I was in.

I already have pretty bad kindling effect for opiates, just one use of strong opiates and I'm moderately sick for atleast 3 days. I'm terrified at the idea of reinstating into clonazepam withdrawals, because I know I'll be desperate and irrational when the full gp withdrawals start coming in. if I do try a Benzo should I try a short/ moderate acting one like lorazepam to avoid hang time on the receptors? please correct my ignorance but I'd imagine taking a long acting Benzo is more likely to reinstate withdrawals as it spends more time on your receptors and in your system? might someone more pharmacodynamically studied be inclined to shed some light on the best way going about that for harm reduction? I know this is all incredibly subjective to the individual and theres no one size fits all answer to this, but maybe someone with more knowledge and less personal investment in the situation can give an outside perspective.

thanks

Last edited:
if this is in the wrong forum can a mod move it please? wasn't really sure if this was more suite for sober living or Other drugs

Would taking a benzo be truly worth the risk of rebound and addiction trading? That is the question that you have to ask yourself. Could you just power through and be better for it? If the answer is no then you need to minimize your usage in both exposure time and dosage. With that in mind it would seem logical to assume that a shorter acting benzo would be indicated. Let me caution against that. Shorter acting benzos tend to be rather potent and toward the end of their duration of action tend to kind of drop off steeply, rapidly returning you to a WD state. Diazepam could be of some use if attainable as it has an intermediate initial duration due to redistribution and leaves behind a partial agonist metabolite.

If you keep your dosing minimal and confined to absolute necessity you should be able to avoid excessive WD sensitization.

Edit: I forgot to say; you could definitely use your saved kpins as the benzo in this scenario.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, extract. kpins wouldn't be more risky considering that was the exact metabolite my body was accustomed too ? I know we are dealing with the same class and mechanism of action here but how far in terms of difference would a differing grouping go? ex: like triazolo ring benzos versus 1,4 benzos , or even a thienodiazepine like etizolam. I know these are such miniscule differences in structure but I want to cover all possible factors into the equations. like if there is any indication that a differing group from what I was taking would have any say even slight in mitigating the chances of rekindling than its worth the consideration. I'm not so much worried about getting addicted to benzos mentally as they were never really my drug of choice, its more so the immediate kindling effect I'm trying to dodge. I understand theres no yes or no here no matter how much I wish there were, maybe there are just some other factors I'm not considering that you can think of? trying to cross all my T's and dot my Is here.

update : down to 600 mg a daily. also ketamine is very effective at stopping most of the withdrawal syndrome from gabapentin. I was really close to taking some klonopin but had a little k instead. at first I was really surprised because I didn't think it had any gabaergic properties just NMDA antagonist, but some studies say it has gaba(a) agonistic properties though, theres also some random study about pregabalin and ketamine combos for analgesia, idk I'm a little too fuzzy K'd to sort through all this right now but I'm surely interested now lol

I was prescribed gabapentin for a clonazepam withdrawal after a binge for a few months in attempt to self medicate a bad case of methadone PAWS. the 1st week of taking the gabapentin I was taking (basically 300mg every 45min/hour all day), then anywhere from 1200-2400mg for the next month. the past week though I've lowered to 900 mg daily.

even with the 900 mg I'm already hit hard with pretty unbearable withdrawals. wake up sweaty and itchy every morning, crazy bad trip like anxiety that Benzo wd doesnt even produce, I plan on continuing a moderately fast taper as i have somewhat small supply of gabapentin (9gs ) and honestly as bad as I feel already i want to reduce as much time as possible.

I've only ever tried gabapentin a few times, but I've use pregabalin pretty regularly for a while (as prescribed these days for the most part though) and the drugs share a similar sort of profile. I've been through pregabalin withdrawal a few times, and unfortunately, one of the defining traits is the morning awakening in crazy anxiety. Something about thee drugs leave one less resistant to stress of any sort (pain, heat/cold, anxety in general), and waking up is helped along by cortisol, a stress hormone that has a sort of arousing effect which is incredibly exagerrated in w/d. Coupled with the already altered response to stress that a benzo withdrawn person can exhibit, and its unfrotunately just part of it. It does go away though, I was taking 1.5g doses of pregabalin and got myself into a terrible, awful situation, and had to cold turkey for medical reasons. I felt like fucking hell for about 1 week, and then increasingly better over the next week. Over the next 2 weeks I felt normal most of the time except in the morning, and eventually I was basically "normal" again. It just takes time, as all things do.

That was my 4th experience of w/d, the worst and the last I sincerely hope.

I have clonazepam stashed away, my concern is, with kindling effect in mind, would it be safe to take it again after just finishing withdrawals from a few month long binge? Ive been off benzos for just shy of 2 months. if I do take benzos would it be wiser to not take the kpins I just came off and try a different group of Benzos? this was the only real significantly impacting Benzo withdrawal I've had and I'm sure some of that had to due with the methadone PAWS I was in.

An understandable but, IMO, terrible idea. You got onto the gabapentin to get off clonazepam, doing the reverse will only start a cycle that will be difficult to break, and effectively compounds the existing issue. I did that the first time I withdrew from pregabalin. I took a small dose of diazepam eveyrday for about 1.5 weeks or so, but having been benzo dependant before, I kindle really quickly; and of course at the end of the diazepam usage, I was shakey and anxious and decided to take a bit of pregabalin to overcome it. That started that binge-dose saga again, until the next benzo assisted withdrawal which lead back inevitably to pregabalin. Each time was a bit harder too.

Personally, I'd probably suggest upping the gabapentin dose and tapering more slowly from that rather than getting back onto clonazepam. I understand your urgency to get off it, but I would suggest that is part of the anxiety talking- I actually felt remarkably similar, especially in the mornings with the panicky weirdness that can be really fucking intense. Is there a reason why you cannot get a bit more gabapentin, it is widely prescribed for a host of conditions, including anxiety and the like? Or, use what you have left to taper a tiny fraction of your dose every day until you are done, going as slowly as is possible and ride out the next bit- which I would say will be pretty mild, much milder than trying to get off clonazepam cold turkey.

Any questions, fire away. All the best. <3

hey swilow appreciate the love thank you, thats actually really interesting about the cortisol. its crazy waking up first thing into some crazy panic, even if the physiological aspects of it subside fairly quickly its still impacting enough where it can take hours before I can snap out of the mood and doom impending thought process that brings about, I always try to ritualistically keep the first few hours of my day particularly calm or tranquil for that very reason as I believe the first few thoughts and actions in the day put in place the basic outline of the day, on a cognitive level anyways.

I guess the only reason I'm even considering the klonipin, and really why I want to taper off with what gaba I have ( which is still about 6g's) rather than continuing refills is because I'm really getting no benefit from it, the negatives clearly out weight the positives for me no mood stabilizing effects or anxiolytic effect.besides staving off withdrawals caused directly by it there is no plus side. and with the severity I'm already feeling from the withdrawals I want to minimize exposure time.

also I feel as it has a fairly severe impact on my depression, I remember reading the warning labels at first and thinking I was lucky for not getting the suicidal thoughts/ depression part of the warning as I've heard stores of people taking it just once and immediately feeling those thoughts manifest. but over time I notice a distinct and particularly unique thought process that is very much in linear relation with the gabapentin usage. its much more pervasive than any anxiety from the benzos I was taking. I just have been through too much getting off serious opiate addictions to be so invested in a medicine that i still wake up sick from interdose withdrawals the next day from, you know ?. in fact, when I made the first lowering in my dose I noticed an improvement in sleep. once I got to 900mg gbp I was sleeping for 9 hours as opposed to the 6 hours I got on the 1200-2000 range. after working perservering through so much jumping cold turkey off methadone and suffering through all that, to still be on this ball and chain is rather sickening, and the withdrawals are just as severe and more anxiety provoking / depressing. I seem to be one of the few people who withdrawal may be particularly worse for gabapentin than benzos. in fact the rage/nihilism/ and emotional vulnerability spectrum of the gbp withdrawals are significantly more intense than any Benzo w/d I've felt yet.

I guess the false sense of security I get in thinking taking the clonazepam would be justified is because benzos really aren't a DOC for me , I can't say I've ever been incredibly psychologically addicted like in the way I STILL am to opiates even after months of no use craving and wishing for some. I only would get physically dependent to the benzos. once the withdrawals ended I never really have cravings for it again, I think me having these 15 or so klonopins throughout the withdrawal period is testament to that. I only started taking the benzos due to extreme discomfort from the methadone PAWS. Benzo wise I dont think I've had enough withdrawal time or even stable addiction time to risk kindling, before this stint its been a solid 3 years of complete abstinence that I didnt really have to fight to resist urges for I completely dropped them, just never really got hooked onto that particular fish line. though I dont know how the gabapentin usage plays into the Benz kindling and I just want to play it safe. I've first hand experience to kindling on the opiate side of things. but that took soooo many years of solid use and multiple withdrawal fiascos including a complete mindfuck of a methadone jump. I know I'm rambling sorry, guess I'm sorting out as I type lol.

you said you have a dramatic kindle from the benzos, do you believe the kindling is cross tolerant between your gabapentinoids AND benzos? i know they're both gaba-ergics ( or arguably gabaergics and gaba analogues) but the gaba receptors being as complex as they are there are so many sub receptor sites where I didn't think the overlap was such and thats why they have their own respective drug classes and effects? is someone who has withdrawn enough from gabapentinoids enough to experience kindle susceptible to that same sensitivity for gaba A agonists like benzos? and if so to what degree? could they really get sick in one dose or just a mild susceptibility ? I wish there were concrete one size fits all answers for this lol.

also do you have any opinions or experience using phenibut in part of the taper? I never really got into it too heavily because I cant stand the taste and am too lazy to order FAA instead of the HCL I have, but yesterday instead of taking gabapentin I took 500ml of phenibut. out of desperation I'm just trying to do anything that will make me even believe I'm getting further from this incredibly peculiar gabapentin lol. it made sense to me because I taking gabapentin I am sick for the majority of the day until the nighttime dose where I take 600mg now before bed, where as with the phenibut I still took a argueably equivilent dose with a larger half time. if these drug classes are cross tolerant in kindling and withdrawal wouldn't the same rule be True as applied for benzos in terms of using long half lifes as more successful tapers to keep more stable levels ?

thanks again for your time and input , much love!

Last edited:
to clarify on how I would use the potentially use the clonazepam, I would take it sporadically to help lower tolerance on gabepentin rather than switching the gabapentin regiment for clonazepam, in effect only using it one every few days. for example, we all know the strange tolerance and bioavailability issues with gbp, where just 2 days of obstaining can lower tolerance significantly to the point where I could more comfortably make the drop from 600 where I'm at now to 500 or 400. so considering today, I didn't take gabapentin since Sunday evening , over 48 hours ago. on Monday at noon I took that 500 mg of phenibut ( which more than likely is almost fully cross tolerant) , late last night I almost took some clonazepam but instead took small doses of ketamine throughout the night which surprisingly effective for mitigation of symptoms. got very poor sleep but physically felt somewhat decent. how much sense if any is this making?

hey swilow appreciate the love thank you, thats actually really interesting about the cortisol. its crazy waking up first thing into some crazy panic, even if the physiological aspects of it subside fairly quickly its still impacting enough where it can take hours before I can snap out of the mood and doom impending thought process that brings about, I always try to ritualistically keep the first few hours of my day particularly calm or tranquil for that very reason as I believe the first few thoughts and actions in the day put in place the basic outline of the day, on a cognitive level anyways.

Agreed, and my experience with withdrawal and the morning crazies has inspired me to ease my way into waking life with tea instead of coffee, meditation for at least 20 minutes (I couldn't reccomend this more) or even some light exercise like a walk or something. I currently get morning anxiety (and am taking 450mg of pregabalin a day) but have developed tools to handle it better; and this is actually something that is becoming evidently beneficial.

Cortisol can impact blood sugar, I've found fruit juice in the morning pretty helpful.

I guess the only reason I'm even considering the klonipin, and really why I want to taper off with what gaba I have ( which is still about 6g's) rather than continuing refills is because I'm really getting no benefit from it, the negatives clearly out weight the positives for me no mood stabilizing effects or anxiolytic effect.besides staving off withdrawals caused directly by it there is no plus side. and with the severity I'm already feeling from the withdrawals I want to minimize exposure time.

I feel you, but if you rush it (like I did on my first attempts), it might not work. If you add say, one month or two more weeks of GBP use, that's not the end of the world.

I actually think part of gabapentinoid withdrawal is an anxious NEED to get off the drug.

also I feel as it has a fairly severe impact on my depression, I remember reading the warning labels at first and thinking I was lucky for not getting the suicidal thoughts/ depression part of the warning as I've heard stores of people taking it just once and immediately feeling those thoughts manifest. but over time I notice a distinct and particularly unique thought process that is very much in linear relation with the gabapentin usage. its much more pervasive than any anxiety from the benzos I was taking. I just have been through too much getting off serious opiate addictions to be so invested in a medicine that i still wake up sick from interdose withdrawals the next day from, you know ?. in fact, when I made the first lowering in my dose I noticed an improvement in sleep. once I got to 900mg gbp I was sleeping for 9 hours as opposed to the 6 hours I got on the 1200-2000 range. after working perservering through so much jumping cold turkey off methadone and suffering through all that, to still be on this ball and chain is rather sickening, and the withdrawals are just as severe and more anxiety provoking / depressing. I seem to be one of the few people who withdrawal may be particularly worse for gabapentin than benzos. in fact the rage/nihilism/ and emotional vulnerability spectrum of the gbp withdrawals are significantly more intense than any Benzo w/d I've felt yet.

I've felt similarly. Something about withdrawal from this class of drugs FEELS way worse than opiates or benzos. That depressed malaise ("everything is shit") is so deep and it spills over everything. But, if I objectively quantify it, w/d from benzos has way more of a panic component and this leads me to do crazy shit.

you said you have a dramatic kindle from the benzos, do you believe the kindling is cross tolerant between your gabapentinoids AND benzos?

Anecdotally, I've heard that ex-benzo addicts find gabapentinoid w/d harder than others, but I have become very familiar with w/d from both classes of drugs and no, I don't think pregabalin has a significant kindling effect akin to benzos. I do think that benzo w/d has a negative effects on ones ability to process stress and this effect can persist for many months after total withdrawal- so ex-benzo addicts might find the stress of GBPentinoid w/d to be subjectively more difficult than others.

i know they're both gaba-ergics ( or arguably gabaergics and gaba analogues) but the gaba receptors being as complex as they are there are so many sub receptor sites where I didn't think the overlap was such and thats why they have their own respective drug classes and effects?

Neither pregabalin or gabapentin are GABAergics as they do not directly interact with GABA receptors. It is thought that they decrease the metablism of GABA though.

FWIW, I'm not 100% convinced that pregabalin and gabapentin have exactly the same effects; they felt quite different to me, and I did not find a brief binge of gabapentin had much impact on my tolerance to pregabalin. It is possible to get anxious on these drugs too- something I think is suggestive of a much different mode of action to benzos also.

is someone who has withdrawn enough from gabapentinoids enough to experience kindle susceptible to that same sensitivity for gaba A agonists like benzos? and if so to what degree? could they really get sick in one dose or just a mild susceptibility ? I wish there were concrete one size fits all answers for this lol.

I think you will find yourself less tolerant to stress, and will find benzo withdrawal harder but there isn't much of a physiological reason for there to be kindling between the two drug classes.

also do you have any opinions or experience using phenibut in part of the taper?

I've never taken phenibut, but it has both GABA agonist effects as well as similar gabapentinoid effects- it will help reduce withdrawal symptoms in the short term, but it will also prolong them and potentially make them worse. I don't thinkyou should throw this in the mix TBH.

if these drug classes are cross tolerant in kindling and withdrawal wouldn't the same rule be True as applied for benzos in terms of using long half lifes as more successful tapers to keep more stable levels ?

Do you mean supplanting your GBP with phenibut due to a longer half life? Sorry, I haven't really slept and can't follow this question :D

thanks again for your time and input , much love!

Any time mate <3

to clarify on how I would use the potentially use the clonazepam, I would take it sporadically to help lower tolerance on gabepentin rather than switching the gabapentin regiment for clonazepam, in effect only using it one every few days. for example, we all know the strange tolerance and bioavailability issues with gbp, where just 2 days of obstaining can lower tolerance significantly to the point where I could more comfortably make the drop from 600 where I'm at now to 500 or 400. so considering today, I didn't take gabapentin since Sunday evening , over 48 hours ago. on Monday at noon I took that 500 mg of phenibut ( which more than likely is almost fully cross tolerant) , late last night I almost took some clonazepam but instead took small doses of ketamine throughout the night which surprisingly effective for mitigation of symptoms. got very poor sleep but physically felt somewhat decent. how much sense if any is this making?

Making sense to me. I had found with heavy pregabalin use that I could seriously eat 1500mg and get no effects but if I withdrew for, say, 48-72 hrs, withdrawal would be going strong- but tolerance would have decreased exponentially, to the point that a dose of 600mg would yield full, strong effects and I would be able to resume much lower dosing And pregabalin isn't thought to have that weird bioavailability issue. I'm not sure how healthy doing this is, but taking several-day breaks is certainly effective in lowering tolerance. However, tolerance will increase again very rapidly.

I found dissociatives such as O-PCE and 3-meo-PCP really useful during withdrawal from pregabalin. The only real drug to actually help make me feel normal- that says something about how crazy withdrawal from this shit is. Don't overdo it and its awesome. I found GHB at very low doses to be a nice 'break' from the heavy withdrawal; cannabis also made me feel a bit better.

Take it easy man <3

Agreed, and my experience with withdrawal and the morning crazies has inspired me to ease my way into waking life with tea instead of coffee, meditation for at least 20 minutes (I couldn't reccomend this more) or even some light exercise like a walk or something. .

definitely can vouch for the meditation, have been quite into TD meditation for years. I never was a fan of coffee or caffeine

I actually think part of gabapentinoid withdrawal is an anxious NEED to get off the drug. I've felt similarly. Something about withdrawal from this class of drugs FEELS way worse than opiates or benzos. That depressed malaise ("everything is shit") is so deep and it spills over everything.

so VERY TRUE . yeah that resonates with me for sure. its FEELS much worse psychologically, but rationalizing it the physical symptoms are fairly benign. the upside is a mood change can help much of even the physical symptoms, the downside is the mood is the part thats always down haha, and once that mood is down it is definitely much more tortorous and unbearable, being already prone to anxiety I think this is what makes the withdrawals worse for me than benzos. that radiating / burning nerve damage skin tingle is probably my absolute least favorite feeling.

cannabis also made me feel a bit better.

one thing that absolutely devastates me about this is these withdrawals are not allowing me to properly enjoy my cannabis. I've been smoking for over a decade and use pretty high concenration bho or ice waxes or a lot of flowers, and through both Benzo withdrawal as well as intensive multi month opiate withdrawals one of my main crutches was smoking, even if momentarily for the toke, it definitely helped. something about the gabapentin w/d is making me have insane anxiety at even the smallest amount of cannabis, even a joint ! I feel like a rookie again 8o

but hey, thank you so much for your time. I appreciate the input greatly, it was incredibly in depth and my curiousity is satisfied.

if you're curious at all,
I'm doing better ! I have managed to not take any clonazepam yet and the lower and lower in gabapentin dose I get the BTTER I seem to feel....not really sure whats up with that, so hopefully I can pull through this completely without resorting to any benzos. yesterday I actually fell asleep on only 200mg ! woke up 3 hours later and took 200 more and then slept until 10 or 11 !!!! thats compared to 600mg(300 per hour staggered) the past few days previously....and I woke up actually feeling better. this is strange because normally the closer to jump off from w/d the harder the symptoms. hopefully this pattern continues, but knowing how these tend to wax and wane I won't be surprised if not. I just found it suprising the correlation between the drop in dose and the good sleep, but of course correlation doesnt equal causation. any ideas? could what I'm feeling be not only withdrawals but jusst a weird reaction to the medicine?

its funny because I was sooo worried about the clonazepam messing up my withdrawal progress and didn't even realize that for the past couple weeks I've been drinking a beer or two in the evening. so technically I've already been using gaba stimulation to help all along.

but I have become very familiar with w/d from both classes of drugs and no, I don't think pregabalin has a significant kindling effect akin to benzos.

also, if you dont mind me asking, what was your Benzo usage and duration of time like before noticing drastic kindle?

update : down to 600 mg a daily. also ketamine is very effective at stopping most of the withdrawal syndrome from gabapentin. I was really close to taking some klonopin but had a little k instead. at first I was really surprised because I didn't think it had any gabaergic properties just NMDA antagonist, but some studies say it has gaba(a) agonistic properties though, theres also some random study about pregabalin and ketamine combos for analgesia, idk I'm a little too fuzzy K'd to sort through all this right now but I'm surely interested now lol

I would imagine that a lot of the withdrawal is over excitation by glutimate, which is why ketamine a nmda antagonist attenuated most of the symptoms. I would highly suggest high doses of a absorbable magnesium such as citrate or glycomate. It stimulates the Gaba receptors, causes Gaba increase and blocks the nmda channels. I have experienced both benzo(10yrs) withdrawal and phenibut withdrawal. I have only used magnesium for the significant paws symptoms and resulting life anxieties(not withdrawal) but it has done wonders for me.

I would imagine that a lot of the withdrawal is over excitation by glutimate, which is why ketamine a nmda antagonist attenuated most of the symptoms. I would highly suggest high doses of a absorbable magnesium such as citrate or glycomate. It stimulates the Gaba receptors, causes Gaba increase and blocks the nmda channels. I have experienced both benzo(10yrs) withdrawal and phenibut withdrawal. I have only used magnesium for the significant paws symptoms and resulting life anxieties(not withdrawal) but it has done wonders for me.

this makes sense. it was even more relief than alcohol, worked surprisingly well.

oosh I can only imagine the aftermath of 10 years of benzos....you're a soldier for making it out of that. how intense was that?

I actually just got some magnesium today, I had multivitamin forms of it with calcium and a few other things but wanted to get the solo solo deal.

if I were to use a Benzo at some point in the future for these withdrawals, do you think it would be better for HR (in the context of staying as far away from kindling withdrawals as possible ) to use a long half life Benzo like clonazepam or intermediate like temazepam or lorazepam? these are the 3 at my disposal. I know as a general rule the long action benzos are easier to taper off of and are considered safer, but in specific context of kindling I wonder if the duration of action on the receptors would be something to consider. I get that intermediate have a faster drop off, so I'm not sure which side I should lean towards in this situation.

appreciate the response ! stay safe.

I would think a longer half life is probably less likely to provoke kindling effect but I've had it happen with diagram so who knows?

Am out atm but will answer your earlier post a bit later :)

I would think a longer half life is probably less likely to provoke kindling effect but I've had it happen with diagram so who knows?

Am out atm but will answer your earlier post a bit later :)

:) :)

take your time. I'm also curious in how pregabalin and gabapentin differ effect wise to you. I've mostly just heard that pregabalin was just a more potent and bioavailable version. although the gabapentin effect is very subtle its quite unique